Recipes - If you got to eat, eat right!

Options
jpilley
jpilley Posts: 78 Member
After viewing a lot of your diaries, I think there are some mighty good recipes out there to be had.
Feel free to share them with us.

I eat quite a lot of broccoli but run out of ideas on how to fix it. Here's a really good one that is so easy to make.

BROCCOLI BAKE

1. Cut up a bunch of broccoli. (Make sure it has been washed and is good and dry)
2. Place the broccoli florets into a large ziplock bag or plastic bowl with lid.
3. Preheat oven to 350.
4. Add 2 - 3 spoonfuls of minced garlic to the bag.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the bag.
6. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
7. While the oven is heating, shake and roll the bag or bowl so that the broccoli gets coated with the garlic and oil.
8. Lay out in single layer on cookie sheet.
9. Bake for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Replies

• marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    yummy :happy:
  • JohnDowding
    JohnDowding Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That sounds similar to my stupid-easy tarragon chicken recipe.

chicken breasts, salt, tarragon (way more than you think you want, at least a tablespoon), in bag.
    Bake at 375 for 35 minutes.

I like to use my glass pyrex baking pan, not sure that matters a great deal.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I enjoy tarragon on chicken. Another good one is lemon and rosemary. We love roasting chickens. Easiest thing in the world to make and so many options with the left overs. Good one John!
  • elaine5181
    elaine5181 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use skinnytaste.com quite a bit. She has serving sizes, calories, fat, carbs etc all there. I often make a pot of soup on the weekends to use for my lunches during the work week. There are a number of her recipes I use on a consistent basis. Worth checking out!
  • jpilley
    Options
    Gonna try John's chicken tonight! Thanks for sharing Mr. John.
  • LovemyTysonboy
    Options
    Yes I make that a lot but I squeeze some lemon on it before I eat it. Yummy I also eat lots of broccoli.
  • TNHoneyBBQ
    TNHoneyBBQ Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been prowling the forums and Pinterest looking for low carb recipes, trying to get my blood sugar under control. Yesterday I found several recipes at this site http://paleomg.com/ I also noticed that many people are substituting zuchinni and spaghetti squash for pasta instead of using spaghetti, which is a favorite of mine. I look forward to investigating that.

I also notice that they all tend to use time saving gadgetry in the kitchen such as spiralizers, food processors, and George Foreman grills. hmmmm. I'm all for saving prep time, especially after a work day.

Only today did I find the MFP feature on the food tab where you can enter a recipe and it will break down the nutrient info for you. wuhu! that's very helpful :D
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Zucchini lasagna is better than using noodles if you ask me. And everyone should have a George Forman type grill for quick easy meals. I even use it for salmon. I saw one at goodwill last week so you might be able to snag one cheap if you look around.
  • MazieChick
    Options
    I have been prowling the forums and Pinterest looking for low carb recipes, trying to get my blood sugar under control. Yesterday I found several recipes at this site http://paleomg.com/ I also noticed that many people are substituting zuchinni and spaghetti squash for pasta instead of using spaghetti, which is a favorite of mine. I look forward to investigating that.

I agree, Pinterest has given me loads of good dishes to make.
  • jpilley
    Options
    MUNCHIE TIP OF THE DAY: I fill my cookie jar with frosted shredded wheat mini-spooners. If I am craving something sweet, there is just enough of a sweet taste to curb my cravings. Not many carbs, a little protein, and high in fiber. Now I don't have to feel guilty when I dip into the cookie jar. My hubby has even started nibbling on them.
  • lodiloohoo64
    lodiloohoo64 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Egg
    2 egg whites
    2 cups spinach
    Tomato half chopped
    Cooper Sharp American cheese
    1 Great Value fully cooked breakfast party

Brush skillet with olive oil. Toss spinach until wilted. Remove to bowl. Same skillet, add whisked egg and whites. Swirl around, cook on medium till nearly set. Warm patty in microwave, cut in half. Lay cheese down middle of omelette, then sausage followed by spinach. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Fold sides over and remove to a plate. Stir tomatoes round in your hot skillet, add a dash of your favorite Mrs. Dash product and arrange those over your omelette. Love!:flowerforyou:
  • lodiloohoo64
    Options

• lodiloohoo64
    Options

• lodiloohoo64
    Options
    Fresh, washed spinach stems steamed or thin sliced bell pepper and onion tossed and stir fried in a tiny bit of Olive oil are great spaghetti alternatives!
  • lodiloohoo64
    Options
    Southern Salmon Patties

Can Salmon drained
    Egg
    1/4 C.Each
    Corn meal
    Flour
    Buttermilk
    1/4 t. Salt
    Pepper to taste

Drop by 1/4 C. Measure into hot Olive oil until crispy, med/high heat, turn and brown other side. When placing in the skillet, use a Tablespoon to spread out the Pattie, making it thinner. Otherwise it may not cook through. Drain on paper twirling. These are delicious. They are not the lowest calorie item in my book of tricks but great omega three and protein. 396 calories for 2.
  • JohnDowding
    Options
    I've been trying to make myself eat more fish at home, but it's a struggle. Had the most success with Tilapia filets. Any one have good simple suggestions for Salmon?

Thanks
  • JohnDowding
    Options
    While I am making requests, any good ideas for things to do with cabbage? I can always make sauerkraut, but that takes a while :-)
  • jpilley
    Options
    John - you might try Swai. I really like it better that Tilapia. It's another Asian white fish that is really milder than Tilapia and usually cheaper. I like to throw some seasoned bread crumbs on it and brown it up in some olive oil. Sprinkle with some lemon pepper. Could eat it almost every day.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Sautéed Cabbage:

1 large head green cabbage
    2 teaspoons McCormick's Roasted Garlic and Herb (No calories). You can add more to taste.
    2 T butter
    2 T olive oil
    OR 4 T butter
    You may be able to cook it with less butter/oil. I'll try it with less next time.

Prep cabbage, cut it into wedges, remove the core, slice each quarter into smaller slices--about 1/2" wide at the top of the cut.

Put the olive oil and butter into a very large pan. I use a 5 quart chicken roaster pan about 14" in diameter and 4" deep.
    When the butter has melted, add the seasoning.
    Stir to moisten the spices.
    Let simmer about a minute stirring frequently.
    Add the sliced cabbage.
    Stir to coat with the butter and spices.
    Cover and cook on low heat, stirring frequently, remembering to coat the cabbage each time.
    The garlic will burn if the heat is too high and the cabbage isn't stirred often.
    Keep stirring until the cabbage is tender. I like mine really well cooked.

My recipe made 4 cups after it cooked down. My husband really liked it and wants me to make it again.

Edit: Stuffed cabbage is good. Pinterest has some good recipes for it.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Simple Salmon:

Melt some pepper jelly.
    Put salmon in a baking dish.
    Spray dish with cooking spray.
    Place salmon in dish, skin side down.
    Pour the melted pepper jelly over your salmon, spreading to evenly coat it.
    Bake at 350 until it flakes with a fork (depends on the thickness).

Cover it loosely with foil so the sugar in the jelly doesn't burn.