"Normal" pain?

Options
I'm a total noob to this running thing, having just completed C25K two weeks ago and starting a B210k app today. For background, I'm 29 years old with a BMI that puts me just over the line of obese, and I've led a generally pretty inactive life to this point.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if a certain amount of aches and pain are normal for a new runner. More specifically, knee pain. From what I've read, it seems like maybe I might have a touch of runner's knee (it's definitely not IT band issues- it's more anterior/medial). Ever since I got in the 25+ minute range with my running, both of my knees have been intermittently achy. I notice it if I'm sitting with my legs crossed or folded under me for a good length of time and during the first 5-10 minutes of running. After that, it generally subsides. There is no noticeable swelling, bruising, or point tenderness. Since it's both knees, I don't think it was brought on by any particular acute injury.

For my own piece of mind, I guess I'm just hoping that this is something that some of you more experienced runners have experienced. I shouldn't be too worried about this, should I? The paranoid part of my brain is really worried that I'm setting myself up for a bilateral knee replacement someday haha.

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    The first thing that comes to mind is shoes. Have you been fitted at a running store? If you have, I would reduce the running for a week or two while you frequently ice & elevate your knees. Work on strengthening your quads - weak quads are sometimes a factor with knee pain. Any pain besides delayed muscle soreness is not normal to me, especially in the major joints. If it persists see a therapist who understands runners.
  • two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have not been fitted at a running store. I've never even been in one actually. I've kind of been putting it off due to an extreme lack of finances (really broke college student), but maybe now is the time to do it- I really do not want to wind up injured. I've also been battling a constant blister on my left foot, so I realize that the shoe/sock combo I've been using is suboptimal.

What are the chances I can walk out of a running store with shoes that cost less than like $100? I truly don't know what to expect, but that's basically my clothing budget for this semester.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Shoes are crucial. When mine are breaking down I feel it in my knees & shins.

I've bought some in the $100 range. My shoe store usually has a clearance table too, so ask if they'd have any clearance shoes that will work for you given your budget.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I understand the "broke college student" thing...but in the end you have to look at it this way: Would you rather pay $110 for shoes (which is the average price I have found) or $1100 in PT bills due to injury?

Getting shoes that work for you is kind of like making sure you have good tires on your car. You wouldn't drive your car with worn/bad tires or with tires that weren't made for it. Same thing with your feet, you don't want to run with worn/bad/wrong shoes.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    What are the chances I can walk out of a running store with shoes that cost less than like $100? I truly don't know what to expect, but that's basically my clothing budget for this semester.

There are a lot of new models coming out or have recently come out, so last year's models should be marked down. You don't necessarily have to buy from the running store if you can find a better deal online. I know we should support the local stores, and I do quite a bit, but sometimes I get shoes online if there's a good deal. Have the running store tell you what kind of shoes you need and then do a little research online to find similar shoes. Zappos and Running Warehouse are very good about returns if you want to order a couple of pairs to try. Check the liquidation section at Running Warehouse. Also, Joe's New Balance Outlet frequently has good deals if you like NB shoes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Anyway, what I'm wondering is if a certain amount of aches and pain are normal for a new runner. More specifically, knee pain. From what I've read, it seems like maybe I might have a touch of runner's knee (it's definitely not IT band issues- it's more anterior/medial). Ever since I got in the 25+ minute range with my running, both of my knees have been intermittently achy

Given the description it strikes me that there might be a few contributing factors. I had something similar which I diagnosed as my shoes being lifed out. Shoes generally have a 400-500km lifespan, but the shoes I was in at the time had done about 380 when I was having issues.

What contributed to it for me was running form, and a degree of overload. I'd suggest easing back on the B210K plan and focus on form until you're more comfortable. I found the Zen Labs 10K plan a bit too aggressive in terms of the distance increases it gave me.

As far as form is concerned, you may be overextending your front leg, which causes you to lift the torso through the cycle. If you can concentrate on planting your foot directly underneath you're pushing yourself forward, which places much less load.

When I finished the C25K programme I concentrated on 30-40 minute runs for a couple of months, as a consolidation phase before building again.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I did right after C25k that really helped is a Good Form Running clinic.

http://www.goodformrunning.com/

Your local running shop will be an amazing resource - definitely get yourself fitted. You don't have to buy shoes there - last years models are all over the place online - I picked up some shoes for under $80. You will also learn how shoes are supposed to fit, which will help if you need to do-it-yourself later.

Finally, they can hook you up with running groups, clinics, etc. to help any form issues that you might have.

ETA: knee pain is never good. Sorry.
  • two_octopodes
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! I'm glad I asked, even though I didn't necessarily get the answer I wanted. =)

I will be checking out my local running store later this week. Hopefully I can get a good deal!

I don't currently know the first thing about form. I've basically been running just however it is that I naturally run with no thought to form, so it's very likely that I am doing something wrong. I'm going to do some research on form and see what I can change.

Varda, I checked out the site that you linked, and although it doesn't look like there is a clinic in my area, there are definitely some good resources there- and the videos are really helpful. I'm wondering if this is something I can try to improve on my own, or if I really need to find a class or coach or something to help me.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You can definitely work on cadence, which will drive a lot of the other changes.

You should feel pulled up through your front - standing tall - with your core engaged.

I highly recommend the book, Anatomy for Runners
  • two_octopodes
    Options
    So I went to a running store today and was told I am pronating a bit too much and need shoes that offer more stability than what I was running in. The girl who helped me said that based on what she could see in my gait, it made complete sense that my knees were hurting and that I was getting "pronation blisters" on one of my feet.

They didn't have anything for under $120, so I walked out with nothing and am buying a previous model of what they recommended to me (Brooks Adrenaline) online for $72. I'm excited to get my new shoes!

Again, thank you guys for pushing me to do this. I still feel like such a poser at this running thing and probably wouldn't have braved a real running store and fitting/treadmill test yet if I didn't have "knee pain is NEVER normal" running though my head from this forum. =)
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Hopefully the shoes help!! The Adrenaline's are a great shoe from everything I hear. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Let us know how you like them once you've had a chance to check them out! My first pair of running shoes were Brooks (Dyad).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a reasonable result, overpronation is a headache, so makes form ever more important.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    So I went to a running store today and was told I am pronating a bit too much and need shoes that offer more stability than what I was running in. The girl who helped me said that based on what she could see in my gait, it made complete sense that my knees were hurting and that I was getting "pronation blisters" on one of my feet.

They didn't have anything for under $120, so I walked out with nothing and am buying a previous model of what they recommended to me (Brooks Adrenaline) online for $72. I'm excited to get my new shoes!

Again, thank you guys for pushing me to do this. I still feel like such a poser at this running thing and probably wouldn't have braved a real running store and fitting/treadmill test yet if I didn't have "knee pain is NEVER normal" running though my head from this forum. =)

Good for you!

Pro tip: if you are having trouble referring to yourself as a runner, state facts: "I finished couch to 5k in February." "I ran my first 5k in March." Etc.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Just saw this, I had the same problem but shoes didn't fix it. Physical therapy didn't fix it. Working with a personal trainer who helped me with proper stretching (hamstrings and it band were tight), and strengthening (hamstrings, and glutes especially) exercises. I did quite a bit of squats, lunges, and deadlifts at body weight and low weight with correction from trainer on form. THAT helped my knees. My doctor and physical therapist just shrugged it off and stated I may not be able to run for exercise. Yesterday I ran my first 10K. My knees are just a tiny bit sore, but not anything to worry about, just hurts when I think about them and when I push on the lower patella.

I also was fitted with the Brooks Adrenaline GTS. I was able to snag an older model on runningshoes.com for about 60 bucks on clearance. I don't think they did anything special. I ran in my old nikes recently and still no problem with my knees (forgot to change shoe).
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Good point. I never had ITBS issues, but my left knee would swing inward while I ran and I pronated. Strengthening my core (squats, lunges, and deadlifts) stopped the pronation. I'm in neutral shoes and much more solid when I run.