Tingle Toes

Options
2»

Replies

• MySunshine76
    Options
    It happens to me too. Everyday. I read somewhere, that it has something to do with your posture. I have great running shoes, so it's not my shoes. I've tried it for a while without shoes, and it still happens. The only thing that does seem to help a little, is if I keep moving my feet. Front of the pedal for a while, back for a while. And constantly correcting my posture. I wish I could find a better solution too. I might have to try the shape ups like someone else on here suggested.
  • hamonk
    hamonk Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was told that your foot should remain flat on the elliptical at all times and when you lift your heel up it can cause your toes to hurt or go numb. Just an idea to try...
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Happens to me for time to time. I use my running shoes because the texture of my foot pads irritates my soul even through socks. I found that if I keep my foot moving, including lifting my heel, it helps. I think that because the foot is relatively fixed that it doesn't pump like it does when running. I also make sure not to over-tighten the laces on my shoes and keep them just tight enough the laces hold a knot.
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    While I have not experienced this I do have tingling of the pinky and ring fingers after about 10 or more minutes of pulling, (this also occurs sometimes when I sleep). Any ideas?
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    If you shift your weight to riding on your heals and not your toes this will not happen!

Plus you get the added benefit of using different muscle groups!
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    Agreed with the last poster; I had trouble with this as well. I usually just fought through it, or took time to stop, pull my shoe back, and continue.

But then I was reading that, especially on runners with the ski handles, posture is important to get the most out of the workout. It's easy to slump forward to use the momentum to push yourself. But I've found that it works better if you keep your posture upright. Straight back, chest slightly out, and balanced on the middle-to-back of your foot instead of on your toes or anywhere on the front of your foot.

Standing like this helps prevent the tingling, and also makes your core muscles work out more. You'll find yourself getting a better overall workout. Or, I guess, I shouldn't say that you necessarily will....but it worked very well for me.
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Try moving your feet around.. Also periodically wiggle your toes for a while and clench / unclench your feet with your toes. This has helped me to keep the tingles away.
  • hollyberry9639
    hollyberry9639 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My toes fall asleep on various machines and the worse ones are machines that angle downward. I try wiggling my toes, moving my feet, different shoes etc. When it gets too bad I switch to a bike for a while. Looks like this is a pretty common thing, good luck!
  • nivekeh
    nivekeh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm happy hear I'm not the only one.
    I try to make sure the toe of my sneaker isn't jammed against the front of the footrest. That seemed to correct it for me.
  • HoosierBecky
    HoosierBecky Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    While I have not experienced this I do have tingling of the pinky and ring fingers after about 10 or more minutes of pulling, (this also occurs sometimes when I sleep). Any ideas?

I have this problem in my hands too as well as in my feet. The only thing that helps with the hands is just to change position or let my hands hang at my sides for a short time.

I searched on the Internet for the numb feet issue and one suggestion was wearing flip flops. I tried it and it helped a little but the foot pads on my elliptical have a hard bubble like surface and the flip flops seemed to thin. I think the key is to not have too tight of a shoe. One other suggestion was to peddle backwards for a while but I have never been good at that. Oh, and the posture thing is important too.
  • duichaser
    duichaser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    So glad I am not the only one with the feet or hands tingling issue. Thank for all your posts. I thought I had a circulation issue or something!
  • wmbrett
    wmbrett Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Happens to me, but not very often. If I do a 90 minute workout on the elliptical, generally after about 20 minutes, my feet get a bit numb, and I pedal backwards for about 2 minutes (while wiggling my toes), and go back to running forward for 8 minutes - I keep repeating that cycle every 10 minutes and generally works to keep the numbness down.
  • wmbrett
    Options
    Posted in wrong place.
  • wmbrett
    Options
    If the numbness is in those two fingers, you should definitely go see a neurologist for tests. In my case, it has to do with my ulnar nerve, and could be an indication of a herniated disc in your neck. Let's just say that is one of the reason's I'm limited to running on an elliptical, rather than outside enjoying nature. Both of mine go numb when I sleep, but pretty much never when I'm awake.

I have this problem in my hands too as well as in my feet. The only thing that helps with the hands is just to change position or let my hands hang at my sides for a short time.

I searched on the Internet for the numb feet issue and one suggestion was wearing flip flops. I tried it and it helped a little but the foot pads on my elliptical have a hard bubble like surface and the flip flops seemed to thin. I think the key is to not have too tight of a shoe. One other suggestion was to peddle backwards for a while but I have never been good at that. Oh, and the posture thing is important too.
  • aprilyankee
    aprilyankee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    This also happens to me. I get tingle toes no matter what workout I do, usually 30 minutes in. The bike, walking/running, stair master and elliptical all have the same affect. I figured it was poor circulation and power through it. I do a lot of moving my feet around and wiggling my toes during the workout to lessen it and that works for me. I also get the same tingly feeling in my fingers/hands when doing an upper body workout.
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I got tendonitis across the top of one foot from the elliptical, have never felt toes tingling. I took off many months to let it heal and then had to gradually work up to working out again. I am now back on the elliptical and am very careful not to raise onto my toes when pushing down. I used to rise up onto my toes with each rotation. I've been working out hard on it, (10 & 7 level currently) with no issues at all but still wonder about correct form. I wonder if form also has something to do with your "tingle toes"?
  • Intalent
    Intalent Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As like many other members, this happens from time to time to me as well. It's just a blood flow issue, considering you're on your feet for a considerable amount of time, and using you're muscles while you're at it. More oxygen is needed in your lower limbs because of the work being done. I wouldn't worry about it too much, When it happens to me, I just try raising my legs off the pads like other users said, and I try reversing the motion as well. As always, drink lots of water- even during exercise (about 4 ounces/15 min while on eliptical).
  • ness12346
    Options
    Happens to me too :(

The only thing I found that helps so far is to loosen the laces on my shoes - I often get 'tingly toes' with shoes as I have high arches and tight laces cut the circulation off across the top of my feet.
  • stephaniefiteni
    stephaniefiteni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just made a huge investment in an Octane 47ci Elliptical. But I have a problem, after about 20 minutes my toes start tingling and going numb. I have pretty new sneakers and they are the identical model that I have bought several times over the years and found them really comfortable. They are a bit loose in the toe so I tried tightening them. Still tingling. To make matter worse, I have fibromyalgia so I am more suspetible to these types of pains hence why I need low impact cardio with an elliptical.

What do I do? Has anyone else experienced numb toes on their elliptical? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I dont think the problem is the shoes.... When you start out and your doing a crazy amount of cardio, or maybe higher than what your use to - This WILL happen. After a while, your feet and the rest of your body will get use to it. Just give it time.
  • stephaniefiteni
    stephaniefiteni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Also take note, that i have been using this machine on/off for approx. 2-3 years now. Its one of my main sources of cardio.