Warrior Dash - May 10th, 2014

Options
sleepyotter
sleepyotter Posts: 76 Member
Me and my boyfriend are already registered for this one. I've done 5ks before, I don't think he has, so it means a lot to me that he's willing to run this one with me.

But I've never done an obstacle course race, before. The course map looks like it's mostly running for the first two thirds or so, and then very obstacle heavy towards the end.

Has anyone else done a course like this? I know what some of the obstacles will be, but aside from that, I'm not really sure what to expect from the experience. I know I'll probably have to do some strength training--I was never very good at the rope climb in junior high, so it's time to try and beef up my upper body, I guess. To the people who have run it before, is there any kind of training patterns you would recommend, or things to focus on?

Replies

• GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    Sorry, I don't have any personal experience with any obstacle course but I would love to work my way up to them. I just wanted to say good luck and have fun. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Is this a mud race? I've been looking for one for some time but most of them are a longer distance than I think I could handle, even with intense training. I don't have a lot of self doubt but I do know my limits! A 5k mud race sounds awesome, sign me up!!
  • GFreg
    Options
    Is this a mud race? I've been looking for one for some time but most of them are a longer distance than I think I could handle, even with intense training. I don't have a lot of self doubt but I do know my limits! A 5k mud race sounds awesome, sign me up!!

Warrior Dash is an obstacle course with some mud elements. I can't recall how many obstacles but you can check it out at www.warriordash.com
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I have done this race, it was a blast and not too tough. So don't worry over it too much, it's meant to be fun and it is less challenging than some of the other obstacle races like spartan run. For my course we ran about a mile and a half before the obstacles started then it was super fun because the obstacles broke up the last part of the race. The obstacles required some strength but nothing epic. Go your own pace and have fun with it. If you have to do a rope climb it won't just be climbing up a rope it will most likely be climbing a wall with the help of a rope or something like that. Best of Luck and Have fun!!
  • sleepyotter
    Options
    Today is the day!
  • GFreg
    Options
    How was the race?
  • sleepyotter
    Options
    It was fun, I'd be willing to run it again next year. The shirt I got is like my new favorite. Everybody was really nice, a couple times SO had to stop and take a rest, and people would always be like, "You guys doing okay?" He knows he should have trained harder; we'll work on that next time.

I was really sore for like a good four days after.