Which diet is better: Low GI or Gluten Free??

lizpuga1
lizpuga1 Posts: 11 Member
I've been 90% doing Low GI for a couple of weeks & doing insanity workout videos... not alot of results...
i say 90% because i still indulge in the occasianal corn tortilla, being hispanic its really hard not to eat them!
also i really struggle in the weekends..
Has any one had good results with either one of these?

Replies

• bribrijean234
    bribrijean234 Posts: 90 Member
    Ive been trying to stay fairly Low GL and focusing on trying to eat more protein - 1:2 ratio with my carbs (which is difficult and i have not mastered yet). The biggest thing has been cutting out most of my processed sugar and keeping breads/rice/pasta etc to a minimum. So far it is working well for me - Ive lost almost 12 lbs since 1/7/14.

Definitely not gonna say one way is better than another, because everyone's body reacts differently to different diets. However, if you are doing Low GL give it a few more weeks, because weight loss is not linear... if you still aren't seeing results, try adjusting your calories, or giving the Gluten Free a try. Hope that helps some.
  • Well, corn tortillas are the recommended kind for LowGI anyway! Just pair it with plenty of veggies and meat and you're guilt free!

I eat a gluten free diet due to wheat allergy. From what I understand going gluten free won't help with weight loss if you aren't gluten intolerant/celiac/allergic. Some people do it and say it helps with detox and inflammation. The low GI diet isn't about cutting out crabs, but eating a balanced diet. So, a small portion of starch paired with tons of veggies and healthy proteins. Which is basically how doctor's recommend everyone eats.
  • lizpuga1
    great info!! thanks guys!!
  • lizz2013
    lizz2013 Posts: 331 Member
    I've been doing a lot of research over the weekend and I'm going to try a low Glycemic Index and low Glycemic Load, gluten free and dairy free diet. Fingers crossed this will work for me.

This website explains why all these diets make sense:

http://www.pcosdietsupport.com/

I don't think it is going to be easy...but absolutely nothing else is working for me and I'm about at breaking point. So I'm going to try this for February and hopefully I'll see results
  • lizpuga1
    hey there! i've been reading the same thing too... and im thinking about doing the gluten & dairy free diet too!
    but i love my dairy! but so far i've come up with replacing milk with almond milk, and yogurt with coconut or soy yogurts...

any other ideas or recipes??
  • lizz2013
    lizz2013 Posts: 331 Member
    I love my dairy too. Seems all the good stuff has gluten or dairy in! I'm finding there are a lot of yummy options though. If you search for gluten dairy free on Pinterest there are lots of recipes :)