FEBRUARY CHALLENGE GROUP!!

Options

Replies

• lml2005
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds in January so I'm rooting for 10 more pounds for February.
  • LuluNH
    LuluNH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yahoo!! 1.7.1. today - finally a move in the right direction - really focusing on curbing carb creep!! Best wishes for an on-plan day!!!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    This trying to do low calorie thing SUCKS. I'm hungry a lot and make a lot of extra trips to the bathroom. All I think about is "If I eat this, hopefully I'll just eat this at lunch or I'll just eat a light dinner". Looks like Sunday will be back to low carb because I feel so gross about myself. Hopefully next Friday I'll be feeling better.
  • Tigredia
    Tigredia Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the answer.
  • Tigredia
    Options
    I know it is a February challenge but I have to tell you about the last 4weeks. I have lost 15 pounds and 13 inches. I was trying to keep my calories at 1200 with a carb % at 25%. The next 4 weeks I'm dropping to 20%. I'll see what happens. Is that how you do it?
  • tunesntea
    Options
    I know it is a February challenge but I have to tell you about the last 4weeks. I have lost 15 pounds and 13 inches. I was trying to keep my calories at 1200 with a carb % at 25%. The next 4 weeks I'm dropping to 20%. I'll see what happens. Is that how you do it?

For induction, carbs should be 20 grams or less, some people do NET carbs which is carb count minus the fiber in food. It depends on which way you want to go usually depending on the results you're getting.

You aren't suppose to worry about caloric intake. I admit that I do but I'm almost totally non-active except for intentional exercises. Weight loss has slowed down for me so much that if I don't do well by mid Feb I will most likely try to INCREASE my calories just to see what happens, sometimes if they are too low it can stall from what I hear.

Your best bet is to get the Atkins book and read it so you really have a full understanding of what's going on. Most people like the 1972 version but if you want more veggies the newer version is what you want to read.
  • Pennben
    Pennben Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Tigredia: "Is that how you do it?"

As far as results, hell yes!

As has been noted, induction on Atkins is 20g of carbs a day. After induction (which doesn't have to be only two weeks, many stay on it longer) you add 5g carbs a day each week (e.g. wk 1 out of induction would be 25g per day; wk2 out would be 30g per day) until you hit the level where you no longer lose weight. Atkins has noted that you don't have to do the very restrictive induction.

Anyway, I'd second the recommendation to read the book, as I think the process of building back carbs into the diet, and I'm not there yet, is going to be very important to maintaining the lifestyle. There are four phases to Atkins, each with a very specific goal in mind.

ETA: Obviously, if you are comfortable doing what your doing and continue to have success, there's no reason you need to change anything you are doing. The reason I'm trying to follow Atkin's so strictly is that I find when I do, I'm not struggling with hunger at all and still losing.
  • Tigredia
    Options
    I've been seeing a nutritionist and she recommended the 25% of calories the first three months (1200 calories). The carbs from fruit and vegetables and maybe treat now and then. My treat is 27 dark chocolate peanuts. I love dark chocolate and it does't seem to bring on additional cravings. My calories might be low because I have just had a knee replacement.
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Oops! Checking in a little late, but I'm here!!! I lost 9 pounds in January & hope to loose at least six in February. Let's do this!!!
  • LuluNH
    LuluNH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Still hanging out at the edge of 170s...I want to be firmly in the 160s by the end of the month. Wishing everyone an on-plan day!! One strategy that really helps me is to write out a goal plan so I remember where I want to be and where I have been. 56 weeks and 54 pounds - so happy I re-started this journey last year. Truly thought I would be at goal by now but "it is what it is"! Not starving myself - trying not to be too obsessive - trying to stay on track and make this a way of eating for life - not always perfect but I keep working on it!!!
  • Pennben
    Pennben Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Checking in at down 1.8 for the month. Now for the scary part, I'll be traveling for the next two weeks, and I'm assuming without access to a scale. Just going to have to trust what I've learned. See you on the other side!

Keep it going everyone!
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    February Goal -6#

02.09.2014 - down -1.6#

26.6% to Goal Achievement!

Month of February Time Lapse 32.1%

Time is further advanced than my reduction - better step it up, or no February Goal Success for me!

=^x^=
  • LIVINMYDREAMS
    LIVINMYDREAMS Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am new here. I have lost 85 pounds with Atkins over the last couple of years. I am struggling staying on track right now. I plan on starting on strict 72 induction tomorrow to get going again and break the cravings again, etc. I am currently about 230. Will get an updated weight tomorrow morning. I am so anxious to get down under 200. It has been decades since I have been there but I know I can.
  • sunseeker100
    sunseeker100 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Checking in!

1st week in and a loss of 2.5lb. I'm very pleased with that seeing as my goal for Feb is 7lb :) good luck fellow low carbers :flowerforyou:
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    its nice to see everyone trying, some are doing well, others are struggling, but that is the story of long term dieting, you take the ups with the downs, for me i am down 3 pounds so far in Feb, weight loss on atkins has really slowed, but for me atkins takes care of my diabeties really well, and slow term weight loss for me has been staying off, i love how this way of dieting can keep the weight off, we have to learn that free eating carbs is just dangerous, even if you did not do atkins , the idea of chowing down on unlitmited carbs is just un healthy, staying on atkins long term is a lesson in not only tempations but in curbing carb cravings, our grocery shelves are lined with junk food on every row, with flour and sugar turned into ever possible type of food you can think of, if you need a dessert , go to stellastyle.com and make something low carb, if you need some crunch , use pork rhines and cheese in the oven, if you want some flavor go for some low carb veggie dishes and do the net carb thing, but somehow some way figure out what works for you and just do it, make it habit tht you can live with!
    all the best
    Tim
  • tunesntea
    Options
    So happy to see people reaching their goals. I'm one who is really struggling. My weight fluctuates by plus or minus 3 pounds, so I just keep on keeping on and count whatever weight that's low that I hadn't seen before. I seriously can't be gaining if I haven't cheated, so it has to be something else, although it's a bit demoralizing. I'm not doing anything different (except not as much exercise) as I did in the beginning so I can't believe it's hidden carbs although I probably have a few in my coffee and tea (I count my creamer and I drink my tea plain). Could it be the sugars? There's always trace sugars but they are in the single digits. Maybe I just need an egg, cheese, butter and meat day with no types of dressing and see. I would like one good week of a solid loss and then if I'm just maintaining that would be fine for the rest of the month. My goal was 9 pounds but now I just want a solid week of loss!
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think the new atkins books have made a whole mess out of this diet, the "net carbs" thing takes too many people down bunny trials and causes them to spend weeks not achieving thier goals, some of us are just too carb sensative, and atkins talked about this in his OLD BOOKS!! the ones from the 1970's , in the old books you counted EVERY CARB!!! and you capped it at 20 for the day, and he was so forward with the idea or MEAT and CHEESE!! and more MEAT and more BACON!! lol, and more HEAVY CREAM!!,, can you groove with it?,, so if your struggling with losing weight on atkins go Old School atkins, dont get me wrong, net carb counting does work for some people, and it makes the diet much more interesting/ palatable, but if you find yourself stuck in a rut, or even gaining weight, then try going old school, have days and days where you eat plenty of meat and eggs, all types of meat, if its lunch meat or hotdogs, you have to find the zero carb or 1 carb stuff, it does cost more,, NO BAR S brand!! you will find yourself NOT HUNGRY in a matter of a few days, and you will find the scale dropping,
    Sorry for the caps, just feel like shouting it from the rooftops,
    have a great day all
    Tim
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Checking in...back to low carb for a few days now and already feeling better. I'm not constantly worrying about each meal and every single thing I put in my mouth. Will measure myself on Friday and hopefully I'm back down where I was before I went on my binge/struggle to do low calorie.
  • Lori0534
    Lori0534 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to weigh in a few days due to being out of town, but as of Sunday morning I was down 7 lbs in 7 days for February! I am down to 136 and I want to be 115 to 120 by June! I slipped up Monday night and had a flour tortilla. We were out of town at a conference and I just couldn't resist! Keep going everyone!
  • eemott
    eemott Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My goal is 9 lbs for the month of February. I am staying with a net of 20 carbs. I lost 9.5 lbs on Induction and haven't lost anything since Friday :/, and I added workouts to my routine....hopefully after a day or two the scale moves in the downward direction.