Week 4 Chat (10-16 February)

Options
Hi Challengers!!

Welcome to Week 4 of the Trim Taut and Terrific Aussies (and friends) 12 week challenge!!

The purpose of this thread is whatever you want :smile: Chat away to your :heart: content - it's all about sharing and support.

If you are a late starter (welcome), please make sure that you have read the GOALS thread, and posted your details under INTRODUCTIONS. This week's progress update can go in the WEEK 4 WEIGH IN thread.

* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * -

Last week I had a really busy week with work and family stuff, as a result I really fell off the rails and don't really feel like I've done the challenge justice, I'm certainly not where I wanted to be when I started. So this week I'm getting right back into it and going to be back at the gym 4 days a week, walking every day, sticking to my calorie goal and kicking wheat and recreational sugar from my diet. It's Valentines Day this Friday and Bumper is taking me out for dinner, but apart from that I'll be following my nutrition plan.

I'm also going to message everyone who joined the challenge, it doesn't matter if you haven't started yet, or like me, fell off the wagon a bit, what matters is that we just get back on track and keep on keeping on :smile:

Week 4 here we go!!

Replies

• _J_en
    _J_en Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello All!!

I'm glad to see week 4 come....the weeks have flown by so far.

My goal this weeks:

1 Get weekends under control.

The last couple weekends, I let my social events get the better of me...so even if I plan one relaxed meal, it becomes a relaxed weekend...then spend the rest of the week evening out to repeat the same thing.

2. Work on dinner portions.

I'm finding during the working I'm quite good with breakfast and lunch, been good resisting chocolate, so I plan to keep that up too.
    I need to work on dinner more, it's the meal that my mind still thinks should be "big"

3. Plan meals more to counter a busy work schedule.

Had a bad week at work and with staff problems I'm heading into a very busy few months with lots of overtime, so I want to make sure that I don't get tired and end up just eating whatever is around.

Have a great week 4 everyone!!! :smile:
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Like Skim, I've had a hectic week - part work, part social. I did ok with my diet (good under the circumstances) but my exercise was minimal. I have another busy week again but will do better with my exercise as I am not travelling this week. Am determined to do >150 flights of stairs this week.

On the plus side, I've had lots of complements this week - how skinny I am, how fit I am etc. Some came from people I see every week, others from people I see every couple of months and best of all from my masseur (who lets face it, sees all my lumps and bumps). That's the kind of NSV I need right now :laugh:
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had a terrible blow out last week. This week I am not going to do that! I am aiming to get to the gym every day, ultra fit 2 to 3 times and to run at lunchtime 3 days this week.

With my nutrition, I would like to pay a bit more attention to those macros I think and not eat more than average of 1700 - 1900 a day, regardless of exercise.

Let's see.

Donna
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone and welcome to Week 4 - woo hoo!!!

I am on fire this morning!! Got up at 4:35am when my alarm went off, with a bounce in my step, got dressed and was off to the gym - feeling positive. Did legs and shoulders today and pushed 160kg on the incline leg press, yay for me!! Finished off with 10 mins HIIT on the bike and walked out feeling a little bit on the wobbly side :smile:

Last night I cooked up a big batch of chicken meatballs, so I'll be taking those to work for morning and afternoon snacks and for lunch with salad. I don't mind eating the same thing all the time and they are super yummy and easy to transport, plus make sure my protein level is over 120g for the day. I aim for 40% protein and like it around the 120-150g mark per day.

I've sent a message to everyone that joined the group (hope I didn't miss anyone). It took a while as I can't send more than 5 messages in 10 minutes, but I got there. Hopefully we will have renewed energy this week - well, ok - hopefully I will have renewed energy!!!

I really can feel in my clothes (and see in the mirror) that I've put on a bit of flab since before Christmas. Ok, sure I still look alright, but that's not the point. It's all relative and I was hoping to be a lean mean weight lifting machine by Easter. I may not get to where I wanted to be, but if I can get back to my pre-Christmas physique, I'll be happy about that. I'm also lifting a bit heavier, so mabe my little "bulk" has done me some good there.

DonnaM thanks for your message :smile: and the hand out to lift me back on the wagon. Those numbers look good for you. I'm going to have a stricter cut this week to get me feeling a little less "ugh" and then back to my 1500-1600 per day average.

Helen, that is great news that people are noticing, and yes, there is no hiding from the masseur!! Social occasions are my un-doing some weeks, and then other weeks I am fine. Good to see you are out and about and enjoying life - it's all about balance!

Jen, I hear you about dinner! I like a big meal at night, and dessert. So I usually keep my daytime meals smaller and I can still do it, but some days things get out of whack. I find I sleep a lot better if I have dinner and dessert (even a protein shake for dessert will do), I need something sweetish to make me feel like I'm not missing out.

I'll try to check in later, but it might not be until after work, depending how today goes. I'll have a lot to do after last week's workload. It's a bit inconvenient to be interrupting my MFP time, but I guess it does pay the bills...

Have a great day everyone!! Remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint :heart:
  • sweetysmum
    sweetysmum Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Morning all :)

My goals for the week are:

1 Get to the gym more than 4 times.
    Should be able to do that now that school and kinder are back in full swing this week.

2 Get my calories sorted again.
    Should be right, this is going to be a better week than last, birthday has gone for another 12 months.

3 Maybe go to the pool for a swim.
    This is a hard one, very self conscious of being big.

Have a fantastic week everyone.
  • Ms_Pixie
    Ms_Pixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Morning All,

I'm a newby in here so :flowerforyou: Hi!!

My goals for this week are:

Exercise 5/6 out of 7 days
    Drink a min 2L water each day
    Stick to my cals (I am 'eating back' some/ all workout cals too)
    Log EVERY day!

I've already prepped my work meals and done a food shop too so that's already pretty much sorted :)

If I do these things, I know I will be on my way back to where I want to be. I took a break last November & December due to work pressures and lost a heck of a lot of muscle. I only gained a few kilos but went back up 2 dress sizes :/

The biggest challenge for me is doing this EVERY week, I can usually do it for a week but will often relax the week after so I'm back at the start again! I've been back on a plan since New Years and I've already made some progress.. But am nowhere near where I was when I took my break ????

Here's to being back on track!!
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Feeling pumped and primed for the week ahead. I've upped my Gym Pact to 5 days now that Monday's have become a regular occurrence. Not quite ready to go 6 days of pact even though the last few weeks have been pretty easy due to high levels of motivation.

Goals for this week is to keep doing what I've been doing really. I have however decided to mix in 2 days of cardio within 4 days of weights as well as my usual lunch time walks, weather permitting.

Have a great week all!
  • Tansy98
    Tansy98 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Been a bit MIA this week here, crazy week at work settling new kids in (I'm a teacher in a child care centre) it's been exhausting. Then over the weekend I came down with some bug and felt pretty ill over the last few days - pretty much sat on the couch over the weekend and did nothing, so haven't really exercised. I've also had a few other issues - not even big things really - but haven't coped very well so I've been kind of up and down emotionally, so I've been a bit inconsistent with food too. I wouldn't say I've fallen off the wagon, but the wagon has hit a rather bumpy patch in the road.

My new work schedule is driving me crazy - we are now doing shifts, up till now it's been early (7.15 a 3.30) or late (9.30 - 6.00). This week they've put me down for 8am - 5pm - even if I still get up at 5.30, I'm not sure I can fit in a walk and get ready for work on time and it'll be nearly 6 by the time I get home.

This week I am hoping to try out a fitness class with my daughter - it's tonight, so I'm expecting to be in a world of pain tomorrow :/ my only other goal is to really get back on track with eating - no more sneaking treats. That's going to be really hard, especially since I work with a bunch of skinny young girls who work out and take herbalife all week then have what they call 'fatty Friday' where they eat chocolate and chips. I think they've given up asking me if I want any, but it'll still be hard *sigh*.

Have a great week everyone!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    I missed it earlier but MsPixie (Brigit) suggested buddies - if anyone needs one to text or whatever to keep motivated and on track. It's a good idea.

I guess being in the same time zone helps :) east vs west and daylight savings and all that tends to keep some of us constantly in front/behind whatever. Anyway, there are quite a few of us spread out all over. I'll put up a list of who is from which city and post that later from home so you can find someone in your area. Probably google docs is the best way to go, I'll post a link to the progress spreadsheet and that will also help identify similar goals etc..

And don't forget (like I do) that Instagram has a #TTTAussies share tag going. For meals, exercise, outfits, whatever...

Monday is off to a great start!!
  • bigldesigns
    bigldesigns Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone...

I'd like to do a little jiggle dance and let you all know where I am up to..

When I started this challenge.. I calculated my goal based on 1/2kg a week.. (allowing for a few weeks of no loss with TOM etc)
    So I was starting at 94kg.. Aiming for 89.. a total of 5kg in 12 weeks..
    Well as we hit week 4 weigh in I am now 90.5kg - just 1kg from goal (and I've already had a TOM)

My Major goal (which I was hoping to reach by June 2014 ) is 80kg.. when I get there I am going to review and decide if I want to loose another 10kg (i'm only 5'3" so BMI says I need to be 60-70kg ish)

So it looks like I will now be making that decision before the end of this 12 week challenge :)

What goals did you kick this week?
    I tried a few new recipes to try and bring variety into my diet -
    I ate Bacon and eggs nearly every day and still lost weight :)
    I got my work project to presentable stage for my client
    I managed to loose over 1kg without exercising

How do you feel?
    It was another pretty crap week as far as my motivation goes..
    I'm bored and lonely sitting at home alone all day and night..
    I know I need to loose this weight for my health.. and this is about the only thing that is keeping me from binge eating the fridge empty.

things you are grateful for?
    I am grateful for the encouragement i get from my MFP friends.
    That its been 8 months since my last MS Flare.. and I never felt physical better!

What are you going to improve on next week?
    I bought some digital scales for the kitchen.. So now I can stop guessing my weights and start recording more accurate

I have been frequenting some dating websites.. and this week.. i am going to actually try and meet someone in person!

I need to try and exercise.. I know its good for me.. and will help reduce saggy skin (not that I have any yet) but i'm still hating getting on the treadmill..

(Does anyone in here live in Western Sydney and want to help me get out of the house????)
  • DeeBee042
    DeeBee042 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi All :)

I hope everyone is well and for those in Vic and SA I hope you and your families are safe from the nasty fires we are having at the moment :(

Weigh in for me is next Monday and at this stage of my weight loss any loss will be appreciated.
    I have only had one little blow out since the start of the challenge and that was very minor, so I am very happy with my progress.
    As some of you may know ( via my news feed) I achieved a mini goal this week in attending my very first pump class. I know it may not appear to be a big deal, but for me it was as I have been doing gym for many years but have always avoided the group sessions, as years ago I had a very unpleasant experience with dizzy spells and not being able to complete the class. I was so sore yesterday but am feeling much better today.

I also have booked in 5 additional PT sessions that will be on a Monday night, commencing tonight!
    I have really enjoyed this challenge experience and have met some wonderful people who have been lovely enough to share their experiences and food diaries which has opened me up to foods that I may not have tried. It also helps me as I start to think about coming off Lite N Easy. I don’t think I will fully give up LnE as I do love the convenience of it all, especially the breakfast and lunch.

Goals for this week will be:
    Attend another pump class! Maybe even 2
    Get to gym at least 4 times
    Keep the water levels up to at the least 6 glasses.

Have a great week everyone! 

Donna
  • lorelei68
    lorelei68 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Actually looking forward to this new week, only one meeting planned for it so far, which will be just about perfect as its a morning one instead of an evening one. Did make it to the Gym twice last week as it had 'warmed' up to the mid-teens (13-17 degrees F), almost a heat wave going for us on the overnight.

One of the side effects of the gastric by-pass surgery I had seven years ago is that I am extremely sensitive to the cold weather. If it weren't for my kids (youngest one is in his last year of high school) I'd have probably moved to warmer climates years ago! I can't take going out early in the morning in those temps to work out. So glad I have some great workout DVDs to keep me on a Monday thru Friday workout schedule.

Did meet a goal from last week. I found a couple of strength training/free weight workouts that looked doable for a newbie. Now I have been looking up videos on proper forms for some of the moves that I'm not familiar with.

Still struggling to meet my daily protein goal. I am eating healthy meals but just barely, some days, making it to 60g of protein much less what MFP is showing what my target should be. I need to find a distributor closer to home that sells the Health Wise fruity protein drinks. I really like those ones and they are not terribly high in calories.

Planned out some great breakfast and lunch items for this week. Made up 3 days worth of "Omlets to Go" and a couple of big Salads with ham & feta cheese thrown in, nom nom nom!!!

Still working on the dinner menus but have some steak marinating for tomorrow's dinner and need to go through my Salmon recipes as I have some in the freezer for this week.

I will tell you all though that it helps so much to be a part of this group! I love the discussion and support! I like checking out the food diaries to get different ideas for lunches & snacks! It helps to know that my struggles are shared and can be overcome! You all ROCK! Thank you! :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I haven't posted much, things have been crazy with getting back into the school routine.

I'm doing whole30 so my diet is as clean as it can get.

I've been trialling different foods to fuel my long runs. Pureed carrot and prunes are a good mix.

My running however eh... lets not go there, I knew I this would happen, esp with being on whole30 and I do expect it to pick up, but the hot weather doesn't help.

My weight training has been going great. I've had to double up bands for my pull ups, so this is good news. Totally loving p90x2.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Ah the joys of having some free time at work... Just for a minute, so I'm checking in :smile:

Sweetys - I hope you had a lovely birthday!! I'm sure you'll be able to do 1 and 2 of your list and if you don't get around to number 3 then it doesn't matter because you have already been to the gym 4 times. I used to hate getting into my swimming cosie as well, but most people are too self conscious about themselves to worry about anyone else, and once you are actually in the water, it doesn't matter anyway. See how you go.

Hi Pixie - and welcome!! Good to see you :) That body comp changes pretty quickly without resistance training. I know I feel it from having a month of "relaxing" a bit too much. Just goes to show how the scale isn't the thing that we should be so focussed on - measurements and size mean so much more!! Hopefully being part of this group will help keep you on track for the next 9 weeks. A day off here and there is ok, just get back into your plan sooner rather than later!

Maurice - you are on fire!!!! Going great!

Hi Tansy - sorry to hear that you haven't been well and your wagon hit a bump. Hop onto mine with me and we will get through this together :flowerforyou: Long hours are hard to cope with as well. I do get up early, but that is the only way I can get my exercise done, so I just make a commitment to myself to do it. I always feel better after, but i have to go to bed most nights at 8:30pm. Those girls at work sound typical - trouble is when we get older it doesn't usually work out to be that easy. Stick to your plan and you'll get there.

Allie - Wow, so proud of you!!! You have done amazing things in just a few short weeks and I'm sure you will hit that 80kg goal. I know what it's like to be lonely and eat (food is my friend mentality) so congratulations for NOT doing that! Bloody great effort!! Good luck with the dating sites... Remember: "You accept the love you think you deserve"... and you deserve someone wonderful. As for saggy skin: lift weights. Start with 3 times a week and just walk wherever you can instead of driving. That's a great start.

Dee/Donna - fabulous news about the pump class, it's a great way to get into weights and will change your body for the better! Good news about the PT as well :smile: you are going great guns!!

Hi Lorelei - good to see you checking in from the other side of the globe, even though it sounds freezing!! I easily hit my protein goal of 120-150g per day, but I have protein with every meal and protein snacks as well. I don't "complete" my diary at the end of the day, but it's open for reading and will be getting a lot better this week than it has been lately!! Might give you some ideas if needed. I mix vanilla protein powder with my yoghurt and all sorts of weird things!

As for SHARING - that is what it's all about!!

Tom Venuto says that the fifth element of fat loss is community support. I hope that being part of this group helps us all to have accountability, a shoulder to lean on and a kick up the butt (yes, I mean for me) when needed too!!

Day One, Week 4 is looking good so far :happy:
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Hi Matilda, sorry almost missed you we must have crossed over. Your food looks good on Instagram, I was checking it out earlier. But I guess less carbs on Whole30 might be causing a bit of a running bonk? Is that it?

Double bands sound good - I forget that I have them!! That's a good option if I can't get to the gym one day, I've got a BOSU, combine that with the bands and I think I could do a pretty good resistance workout.. Might have to done one this week just to trial it out. Good work on the pullups!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Hi Matilda, sorry almost missed you we must have crossed over. Your food looks good on Instagram, I was checking it out earlier. But I guess less carbs on Whole30 might be causing a bit of a running bonk? Is that it?

Double bands sound good - I forget that I have them!! That's a good option if I can't get to the gym one day, I've got a BOSU, combine that with the bands and I think I could do a pretty good resistance workout.. Might have to done one this week just to trial it out. Good work on the pullups!

The heat is a huge factor, it's just been so hot and so I can't physically go any faster without feeling horrid.
    I'm also not training for time at the moment, so it's ok if I'm going slower. Getting up the distance for tough mudder which is in like 6 weeks.
  • Flyer69
    Flyer69 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have had a fantastic week.

After 7 months of trying I finally got to my lowest weight yet and confident it will go lower.

I smashed my PB for the 5km by over 4 minutes to 29.33. I am trying to run the marathon in June although the chance has gone up I still only rate it 15% as I have troublesome calves (and to a lesser extend knees)!!! This result is largely thanks to Linda :-)

Also decided to try and get an average of 20,000 steps over the whole month of February. Saturday was a new record for me with over 32,000 steps, but yesterday I lazed of a bit, still my avarage is over it. Now it is a matter of sticking it. Today I did a 10k interval training so I should be very good.

In my tennis I was last year always getting beaten by my friend but this year I win more then I loose. Soccer is also still going great and even played some golf again.

Socially I had a lot on , was is all the more pleasing that my weight is still coming off besides drinking some alcohol and having a good portion of food however I guess I deserve that extra bit some days.

So for me it is a matter of keep going and doing what I am doing. I follow everyone's progress closely and wish you all the success you want. If you set your mind to it you can do anything!!!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Flyer, that is just awesome. I mean, sure the weight loss is good, but look at the ways that your fitness and energy are affecting other aspects of your life. Physical, mental, it's all good.

Well done and good luck with your training. It's great to have a goal, but if your body says no, might be an idea to give the marathon away... Step goal is really good too!! I did that for a week last year and was exhausted! Besides it takes up a lot of time to do over 20,000 steps a day. I usually do 15,000 on a work day, but sometimes only 3,000 on Sundays *sheepish*.

Anyway, good to hear that you had a fantastic week, hit some PRs and have further to go! All power to you!
  • Flyer69
    Flyer69 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks Skim and thanks for the nice message earlier on.
    I guess I don't find it that hard as a lot of gym work is cardio (do weights 3/4 days a week as well) and get 10,000 steps there alone.
    Then the rest of the day I do easy 4-5000. Then if I play tennis golf or soccer my count goes up even higher.
    Yesterday was indeed more difficult and got stuck at just over 13,000 and I did not go on my evening walk as I was just to comfortable watching the Olympics :-)
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Day One, Week Four has been a success!!

I am going to bed early, hard to stay up late when I get up so early, so I'm going to get my bag and clothes out for tomorrow morning gym session and get into bed.

Hope you all had a great day, some great results on everyone's news feeds for weight loss and food diaries - I think we are all going to have a cracker of a week!!

See you tomorrow!
This discussion has been closed.