Do you just ride or do you follow a training plan?

Options
I am trying to get back in riding shape, after being off the bike for 6 months due to a health issue. I have been able to ride inside that last several months, but I could only force myself to do that 2 times, sometimes 3, a week for about an hour each.

I've definitely lost fitness and put on a few pounds. I am now able to ride outdoors. I looked at a few training plans/schedules. Particularly from "Ride Yourself Lean" (Bicycling Magazine columnist "The Fit Chick"...forget her name). Anyway, I've never followed a training plan before and not sure my cycle friends would put up with me doing intervals etc. (I do get an interval workout in at least once a week indoors).

So anyway, just curious what your experience is. I am trying to be realistic (I'm 53) at the same time I'd like to get back to where I was last year as quickly as possible. So trying to decide if I should just get in as many miles as I can or follow a structured program.

Replies

• FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Just ride, lots.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ what he said :)
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    ^^Yup^^
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    I don't use one on the bike. I find doing other things non-related such as programs like this http://www.earlytorise.com/workouts-of-the-day/20-min-5-x-10-challenge-workout/ do amazing things to get my endurance and fitness level up. Other than that, I cycle as much as I can.

Of course in the winter it is on the trainer in the basement and doing cross country skiing and snowshoeing that help to keep my cardio endurance up.
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am going to go against the tide - I follow a strict training plan.

I spend 80% of my time (at least) in target range using a HRM.

I have adaptation weeks every fourth week.

I increase my ride times about 10% per week.

I've planned out my entire season, incorporating races, long rides, gym sessions, recovery weeks (and recovery two weeks in September). I also have mapped out my dietry requirements which I will need, base, build, taper, off. Also calculated the protein/carb/fat splits dependent on my exercise.

Reasons for a training plan for me?

Discipline - If I don't have it planned, I'll find a reason not to (it also enables Rule #9!)
    Targets - I have to have a target or destination in mind.

Ultimately, it is everyones choice - one mans meat is another mans poison!
  • kerrylikesbikes
    kerrylikesbikes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your thoughts!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't follow a plan per se but I have found that putting your bike on a trainer once or twice a week (in addition to your regular rides) and using one of the interval training videos (Spinerval or one of the freebies on youtube) is a great way to get your ride fitness back quickly.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Much like you, I've lost some of my fitness level and gained a few lbs over the last 9 months (I just had a baby in December and was on restrictions throughout much of my pregnancy.)

My plan: I'm just gonna ride for a while. Right now it's indoors as the weather is wretched here in Chicago and I can't exactly throw her in the trailer just yet.

Once I'm back to enjoying heavy mileage and feeling stronger, I'll train more specifically. Honestly, I'm not yet sure if that'll be for a century (or maybe metric century with her in tow) this fall or if it'll be for something else. Once I have an event/goal in mind, I'll train accordingly.
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Since you're sort of starting over, I'd suggest slowly increasing your mileage, no more than 10% a week, and trust your body. Once you're up to 500 base miles, you can start worrying about targeted training. For now, just ride, and take it easy at first.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have done HR-zone based training on the indoor trainer and it works miracles... but I can't stand doing zone-based training outside. But I would recommend HR zone training to just about anyone.

I find formal training plans hard to stick with unless I'm actually training for something (i.e., racing). Plus, it's hard to ride with friends while "training" - not unless you're all on the same plan (which is like never, even amongst the racing set).

I do my "training" riding solo and do "base" miles with friends. I value my friends more than segments and PRs.

Here's my ultra scientific training plan, in short: lots of easy base miles to start (outdoor is best, indoor is fine). Next, start adding intervals, or hills, then both. Next increase tempo, or distance, then both. Throw in some recovery rides after hard efforts. Take rest days... and do fun rides.

Other stuff: Don't forget weight training & core work. Yoga is great. If you must, cut weight in the off-season, because dieting "on the bike" is counter-productive. And don't forget to ride your "other" bikes (mountain or road) to keep skills & conditioning fresh.
  • kerrylikesbikes
    kerrylikesbikes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    More excellent thoughts! Yes, the good news is that in lieu of biking this summer and fall, I started doing some more body weight strength training, and I intend to continue that as I see visible results for the first time ever... so doing that 2/3x per week.

As I read through these ideas, I think I will try to add one more interval session indoors per week (already doing one).
    And then just do the base miles, increasing slowly...got out twice last week for very easy 20+ miles and some easy trainer miles if weather is not working (snowing right now here in NC).

THEN in a month I'll see where I am at and start adjusting accordingly.

Thanks to fellow cyclists for the help and advice.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Any day riding (indoors or out) is a GOOD day! And it will get you that much closer to your goals.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Training Peaks for races and also ride for the pure pleasure.
  • JediCounsil
    JediCounsil Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have to admit this year I am going with a plan with specific zones and goals for individual rides. Then throw that out the window for any group rides or centuries. Also, keeping track of nutrition is absolutely critical. I do believe in the Jan Ullrich mantra of "ride lots", but I can't seem to get any faster or stronger without a specific plan.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    on most occasions I am just riding - but when I am training for a tri then I train ....I am also planning to do a big distance ride later on the year (either 50 or 90kms - havent decided yet) and will start training for that after June :)
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I follow a training plan.

Mon, Wed & Fri: 1-1.5hr indoors & each of different training specifics

Sat & Sun: group rides so @ a pace I need to be :ohwell:
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    Definitely a training plan. I was using a generic training plan and then got a trainer but I've seen a lot better improvement since getting the trainer who can alter the plan based my previous performance and life issues like when my work schedule increases.
  • robmac13h
    robmac13h Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    dont have a plan i use map my ride to log time distance etc but i just get out as often as i can ,i have lost 65lbs just by cycling and watching what i eat