First Half Marathon done but need some advice

Options
wndrwmn86
wndrwmn86 Posts: 507 Member
I completed my first half yesterday in Houston. It was beautiful and all around a great day to be outside enjoying a run. I did run a good chunk of it but walked a lot as well. My next goal is to run the full length of a half at one in November. I am so incredibly proud of myself for starting out 2014 this way but ran into some unexpected complications and was hoping to get some advice from you more experienced runners. I am really sore today, I did expect that but my muscles are swollen in my legs and butt is this normal? Also I weighed myself this morning and I have gone up almost 4 pounds! I expect this to be water weight mostly since I definitely did not eat that many calories in the past few days to gain that much fat. Last but not least when I started training I was running outside but my doctor told me I needed to run on a treadmill or rubber track until I dropped more weight because I was damaging my knees. I started running on a treadmill and did all of my running training there. Fast forward to yesterday and running outside, I guess Houston's humidity got stuck in my lungs because I couldn't stop coughing after I finished. Today is better but I am still coughing on occasion and it feels like my lungs have fluid in them. Any advice on that? I suppose running on uneven terrain could also be a contributing factor to why my legs and butt are so sore today?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Well, honestly. One reason you are so sore and muscles are so swollen is because you did all your training on a treadmill. Sounds like your doctor kind of set you up for injury, hopefully you didn't during your HM. But why did your doctor say that running outside was injuring your knees? Did he take x-rays to verify? Or did he simply say that because you told him you were running now? For him to suggest you doing all your running on a treadmill in preparation for a half marathon just shows his ignorance of running. I would be very careful about following any advice from a doctor who isn't a runner themselves.

With your legs being swollen, taking some anti-inflammatory medications will help. You can maybe try an ice bath for them...if you can handle those. If not then I would ice every 2 hours for 30 minutes if possible. Do you have calf compression sleeves? Wearing those between ice sessions would help a lot.

The weight gain is just water weight, due to your muscles being used in a way they aren't used to. Terrain differences can cause this when you aren't used to it.

For the next HM you do...do not solely train on a treadmill unless you are planning to run the HM on a treadmill. Running outside is so much different from running inside. You leg muscles have to work much harder outside than inside.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    If you did all your training on a treadmill and then ran the HM outside, that is probably why you are so sore.

Did you doctor give you reasons why running outside was damaging your knees, but running on a treadmill is not?

I found that a lot of doctors that have no interest in running take a "Running is bad for your knees" stance when they hear "knee pain" and "running" together. A lot of knee pain is the result of issues else where and can be resolved with stretching, rolling, strength training. You might want to find a doctor or an ortho that is a running and you might get some better info.
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    I ran the same race yesterday, yay! I agree that likely your pains are from doing all of your training on a treadmill. I just wanted to address your chest congestion comments. I think a lot of colds and flu are going around right now in Houston. Both of my kids and husband have a cold. On Sat I felt a little bit like I was coming down with a cold, but nothing serious. After the race yesterday my chest was burning and my throat was scratchy. I have never felt the chest burning after a normal long run. Do you think it might be a cold, in your case? Congrats on your race!
  • wndrwmn86
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. The doctor didn't take any xrays or anything I told him my knees were starting to hurt and if there was anything I should do to help. He said because I was so overweight the pressure was too much for my knees and that by running on a treadmill or rubber track it would help because it wouldn't be uneven terrain and that until I dropped more weight it would be advisable to not run outside. I did tell him of my plans to run the Houston Half, so he knew I was in training for it. I love running outside too I live in the country and get to pass some beautiful scenery but because of his advice I was scared I was doing irrepairable damage. I have managed to drop pretty much 35 pounds...well before the race lol and was hoping he would give me the ok soon. I definitely willl look at different docs though as this doctor is more a fan of cycling and walking. He recommended those exercises and I told him I enjoy walking but not really a fan of cycling but he said he would strongly recommend I did them anyway because they were better for my knees.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. The doctor didn't take any xrays or anything I told him my knees were starting to hurt and if there was anything I should do to help. He said because I was so overweight the pressure was too much for my knees and that by running on a treadmill or rubber track it would help because it wouldn't be uneven terrain and that until I dropped more weight it would be advisable to not run outside. I did tell him of my plans to run the Houston Half, so he knew I was in training for it. I love running outside too I live in the country and get to pass some beautiful scenery but because of his advice I was scared I was doing irrepairable damage. I have managed to drop pretty much 35 pounds...well before the race lol and was hoping he would give me the ok soon. I definitely willl look at different docs though as this doctor is more a fan of cycling and walking. He recommended those exercises and I told him I enjoy walking but not really a fan of cycling but he said he would strongly recommend I did them anyway because they were better for my knees.

Were you stretching properly when the knee pain onset? That was my problem, and still it to this day and I am not over-weight. If I do not stretch and take care of my body then my body argues back with aches and pains. Another thing to help with knee pain is strength training. The knee pain is a reaction to running, runner's knee is proof that knee pain can be caused by running. But that was pretty ignorant of the doctor to suggest the other stuff. I actually hate doctor's like that. Who suggest changing your sport rather then helping you with stretches and PT moves that you can do on your own to keep you on the road. Those people don't treat people...just conditions.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I completed my first half yesterday in Houston. It was beautiful and all around a great day to be outside enjoying a run. I did run a good chunk of it but walked a lot as well. My next goal is to run the full length of a half at one in November. I am so incredibly proud of myself for starting out 2014 this way but ran into some unexpected complications and was hoping to get some advice from you more experienced runners. I am really sore today, I did expect that but my muscles are swollen in my legs and butt is this normal? Also I weighed myself this morning and I have gone up almost 4 pounds! I expect this to be water weight mostly since I definitely did not eat that many calories in the past few days to gain that much fat. Last but not least when I started training I was running outside but my doctor told me I needed to run on a treadmill or rubber track until I dropped more weight because I was damaging my knees. I started running on a treadmill and did all of my running training there. Fast forward to yesterday and running outside, I guess Houston's humidity got stuck in my lungs because I couldn't stop coughing after I finished. Today is better but I am still coughing on occasion and it feels like my lungs have fluid in them. Any advice on that? I suppose running on uneven terrain could also be a contributing factor to why my legs and butt are so sore today?
    I'm reading two issues here:
    1 - you're coughing and you feel that your lungs have fluid in them
    2 - your legs and butt are sore

If you feel like you have fluid in your lungs, why not see a doctor?

I haven't come across any study that concludes that training on a treadmill leads to either of those conditions so I would not agree that training on a treadmill has been the cause of your issue. If you Google "training for a marathon on a treadmill", you'll see that it's not uncommon to spend a lot of time on a treadmill and run well.

Insofar as being sore, how does your current level of soreness compare to other training runs of similar distance, weather conditions, and level of exertion?
  • wndrwmn86
    Options
    Update...pretty sure the fluid in the lungs is from allergies starting to turn into a sinus infection, feeling pretty low today but much less sore so that is a good thing. Thank you all so much for your advice.

"Insofar as being sore, how does your current level of soreness compare to other training runs of similar distance, weather conditions, and level of exertion? "

I haven't ran in any weather conditions for a while, just inside on the treadmill. The most sore I was and am is on my inner thighs and I have never been sore there before so it was unusual. My calves and quads were pretty much equally sore as the day after my long runs on the treadmill. My butt hasn't been that sore since when I first started running, but come to think of it that was when I was still running outside. Maybe I use my butt more when running outside? Today it's just my inner thighs that are sore but I don't think I pulled anything I was very careful to warm up and stretch before and after the race and have been doing light stretches yesterday and today. Do yall think it would be ok to go for a short walk today to just get the muscles from tightening up? Maybe only 45 minutes? I am new to the running scene if you can't tell I just went for it so I never really added any strength training for my knees I just figured as I added more distance it would build the muscles up.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    My butt hasn't been that sore since when I first started running, but come to think of it that was when I was still running outside. Maybe I use my butt more when running outside?
    Do you run with any incline on the treadmill? I know hills cause my butt muscles to work more. You probably just used those muscles more during the half.
    Do yall think it would be ok to go for a short walk today to just get the muscles from tightening up? Maybe only 45 minutes?
    For me, the best way to recover is light exercise. Cycling, Walking, or even an easy run. Take it really easy. Sitting around just makes the soreness last longer.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am the close to the same weight as you and I run outside most of the time. I can't do long runs on a treadmill (y max on a treadmill is 45 minutes).

A few years ago (when I was 20-30 pounds heavier), I had knee pain. My doctor told me that I probably need to let my knees strengthen and to build mileage more slowly, and run every other day until my knee pain went away. I also wore a knee brace on my left knee (the more painful one). Now that I run more frequently and allowed my knees to get stronger, I don't need the knee brace and I am pain free.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    First of all let me say Congrats for completing your first Half Marathon that is awesome. I am currently training for my first Half in March, but in the process I have raced in 10ks and 15ks to slowly help me increase the mileage and get my body used to running certain distances. When I cannot get outside I run on the treadmill but only for the short distances, on Saturday for the long runs I always make sure to run them outside.

With your knees hurting first thing I would ask is did you got to a running store and get fitter for proper shoes?
    Maybe add some inserts to your shoes to help with support if you need them. I was having pretty bad knee issue during my training I had to ice my knees every time after a long run, but after getting fitted for the right shoes and inserts my knee issues have gone away.

For you next Half Marathon I would say it is ok to do some of your training on the treadmill, but make sure you get out and run outside.

Good luck
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a half marathon march 23rd. Would you mind sharing any advice or training regimes? Also how how you found your weightloss since running ? May I ask what height are you and what you have your calories set to daily? I'm 4ft 11 x
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Update...pretty sure the fluid in the lungs is from allergies starting to turn into a sinus infection, feeling pretty low today but much less sore so that is a good thing. Thank you all so much for your advice.

"Insofar as being sore, how does your current level of soreness compare to other training runs of similar distance, weather conditions, and level of exertion? "

I haven't ran in any weather conditions for a while, just inside on the treadmill. The most sore I was and am is on my inner thighs and I have never been sore there before so it was unusual. My calves and quads were pretty much equally sore as the day after my long runs on the treadmill. My butt hasn't been that sore since when I first started running, but come to think of it that was when I was still running outside. Maybe I use my butt more when running outside? Today it's just my inner thighs that are sore but I don't think I pulled anything I was very careful to warm up and stretch before and after the race and have been doing light stretches yesterday and today. Do yall think it would be ok to go for a short walk today to just get the muscles from tightening up? Maybe only 45 minutes? I am new to the running scene if you can't tell I just went for it so I never really added any strength training for my knees I just figured as I added more distance it would build the muscles up.

You may well have run differently on the ground than you were on a treadmill. Or not. We can't tell.

"Maybe I use my butt more when running outside?" Quite possible. If you change your foot strike, you may be using your glutes more than your quads so you could have overtaxed your glutes (speaking from experience).

"very careful to warm up and stretch before and after the race and have been doing light stretches yesterday and today."
    Warmin up = good.
    Static stretching = no bueno

Static stretching is a great way to damage muscle fibers and reduce power output. A longer term issue is that runners rely on "energy return" in our legs so the more limber we are, the less energy we're able to get from the latter portion of the gait cycle.
    (When I first started running (again), I used to stretch after a run. After a few months of reading and learning about running I stopped. I used to be able to put my palms on the floor - for grins and giggles, I tried touching my toes yesterday and got my fingertips about an inch from my toes.)

"Do yall think it would be ok to go for a short walk today to just get the muscles from tightening up? Maybe only 45 minutes?"
    45 minutes is a "short walk" - wow! You'll learn how much pain you can deal with. Unless you've torn muscles, a walk may be helpful but the best thing you can do is avoid ibuprofen, massage your sore muscles, and rest your body.

"I never really added any strength training for my knees I just figured as I added more distance it would build the muscles up."
    We can do exercises to strengthen the muscles in our legs (and hip girdle) that influence how the knee cap articulates and, if you have "runners knee", that may well happen. If you have recurring pain or significant pain, why not see a sports doc/physiotherapist? It's quite possible that a short course of physio could strengthen the muscles in the thighs and hips and the issue could be resolved. As a data point, my 30+ years of knee pain ended after I'd been running for about 4 months and I've had zero recurrence in the 1800+ miles since then.
  • VCYoga
    VCYoga Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say a huge congrats on finishing your first half marathon! What an accomplishment!

I also want to point out the ignorance of your doctor. You cant train for an outdoor race solely indoors. Your long runs should be done outside to help your body adjust to different terrain. If you have to run inside make sure you are adjusting incline to mimic natural terrain.

And about your knees. I have bad knees. Its because i am flat footed and i'm a girl meaning our hips mess with how we run. I would think you might need insoles for your shoes to help realign your feet which then realigns your knees.
    Legit i was logging 20km a week and would then be sidelined for 2 weeks because my knee would flare. I got simple dr. scholls insoles for athletes and have not had a flare up in months. I will need to get prescription insoles soon but still, shows you the difference.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the HM! How exciting!

I'm one who seconds that the varied inclines during the race could explain the increased soreness. Hills really work those inner thighs. You may be different, but correct shoes, switching to a midfoot strike, and lots of ice in the beginning helped eliminate my knee pain.

As for the coughing, you could be coming down with something. It's actually quite common for long distance runners to come down with a cold or virus after a race or long run. This article talks about it, why they think it happens, and some precautions you can take: http://www.livestrong.com/article/505632-getting-sick-after-running-a-marathon/.