Cold + Motivation = ?

Options
How are you staying motivated in your health and fitness goals in our freezing tundra?

With the cold weather lately I have found myself more hesitant to wanting to go swimming, so I am trying out new areas at the gym. I also purchased snow shoes for myself and my family yesterday- maybe this will lead to new avenues of family time + exercise.

Also looking for new things to listen to while working out- whether it be podcasts, music, or whatever- what are your faves?

Replies

• nwingr
    nwingr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been making sure to get out with the dogs every day. Meeting someone at the gym. Of course there is skiing too. Hope you can get out on the shoe shoes, they are a blast!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I started running May 2013 so this is my first winter wanting to do anything outdoors. Since it's been dark/snowy I've been running on the treadmill a couple times during the week, but do my best to get outside for a longer run over the weekend. My motivation is maybe just the challenge of trying to find the best time to get out (factoring in temp, snow and wind) and layering appropriately for those factors. So far there's only been one weekend where I did my long run indoors and that was fairly early in the season - I've since run outside on far colder days than that.

I have a playlist I use at the gym and on my short runs, but for my longer runs I listen to audiobooks. The story keeps me entertained, and it's also easier to hear outside noises (cars, dogs barking, etc.) than it is over music.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Just saw this & it seemed appropriate:

1011733_700183286669811_1083365808_n.jpg
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky and have a treadmill at home so I don't have to trek out to the gym. I hate leaving the house these days.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've been doing workout videos in the house, and using the Wii (just dance).
    I just got in some Yaktrax for the snow/ice, and once its a bit warmer, I'll head out without fear of falling ;). I just cannot do below 10*. That's just too cold for me!! I try to layer as much as possible. I need to get some wool socks or something to keep my feet warm. I started running last fall, so its hard for me to be stuck in the house like this. It's just miserable!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

I completely agree with this. Racing is not hard in the cold (its actually much easier than in very hot temps). It's much harder to volunteer during a road race, stand still and hand out partially frozen cups of water to runners.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

I completely agree with this. Racing is not hard in the cold (its actually much easier than in very hot temps). It's much harder to volunteer during a road race, stand still and hand out partially frozen cups of water to runners.

I haven't done any races this winter, but as someone who has hibernated as much as possible in prior winters I was pleasantly surprised to find how comfortable I am running outside in the cold. (Except two weekends ago when I was coated in ice crystals by the end of my run. That just sucked.) This Saturday it was 12 with just a light wind and I had to take my gloves off after the first couple miles and was shoving my sleeves up a couple miles after that. I'm not as enamored with the road conditions, but I can deal with the cold while I'm running. My cool-down walks, however, have gotten a lot shorter.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Snowshoes and cross country skis have turned my winter around. Minneapolis (and surrounding areas) have so many great ski areas. Woodlake Nature Reserve in Richfield has a free loop and ski rentals are cheap there ($8) if you don't have any. It's a fantastic workout and you warm up so quickly that it can be done even in the cold. It's great to get outside.