Travel Advice with Keto Eating?

Options
Im leaving on Wednesday for a 7 day trip and Im feeling a little worried. Im really good with my keto at home and do most of my own cooking. I haven't even tried take-out yet etc yet in my 2 weeks on. Have you travelled and been able to stick to plan? I have no desire to fail, it means the world to stay committed, as best I can.

Any travel tips for staying on track would be a huge help ...

thanks!
57250916.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    I travel Mon-Thu for work every week. Not sure which hotel you are staying but most of them have eggs and bacon for breakfast. Add some butter and cream cheese to breakfast. For lunch and dinner most of the restaurants have at least few entrees with very low carbs (steak or seafood) if you skip the sides. You can always have a salad and add a Heavy whipping cream sugar free Latte from Starbucks. Worst case you can order a Baconator from Wendys with no ketchup and lose the bread.
  • ThunderButt11
    ThunderButt11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't fret, just make sure that you ask the right questions regarding your food. Is the meat dredged or coated in anything, minimize sauces, go for the right veggies and add butter and cream where you can. I often find myself having to get "out-food" and have been successful in making good choices everywhere I went.
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Another fast food option is the Jimmy John's Unwich. It is one of there subs wrapped in lettuce instead of the bread. Another nice thing is you can go to their website and add or remove whatever and get nutritional info for that exact item. Then if MFP doesn't have it you can add it yourself. Be careful with some of the veggies, onion and tomatoes can be a little high.

See if the hotel has a fridge and microwave option. Then you can make a trip to the store for some staples, or if you are driving take them yourself. HWC, Cheese and summer sausage will be good to keep on hand. You can get hard boiled eggs at most grocery stores.

If you have a microwave or a coffee marker in your room here is something you can bring from home for a breakfast (warning Fiber)

Noatmeal

(dry mix) (makes 6 servings)
    1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
    1 cup flax meal
    1 cup chia seeds
    3 tbsp cinnamon

(Wet mix) (1 serving)
    1/2 cup dry mix
    1/2 boiling water
    1/2 tbsp vanilla extract (optional) carb
    1/4 cup low carb berries (Optional

Top with your favorite low dairy- HWC, H&H, Almond Milk. etc.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Google for restaurants in the area you will be staying and look up their menus/nutrition guides now. You could even make a list of the best choices at each so you have a guide to follow when you get there.
    Noatmeal

(dry mix) (makes 6 servings)
    1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
    1 cup flax meal
    1 cup chia seeds
    3 tbsp cinnamon

(Wet mix) (1 serving)
    1/2 cup dry mix
    1/2 boiling water
    1/2 tbsp vanilla extract (optional) carb
    1/4 cup low carb berries (Optional

Top with your favorite low dairy- HWC, H&H, Almond Milk. etc.

I have been seeing these recipes everywhere but haven't been able to find chia seeds. I may have to order them online! I'm not sure I'd want to travel with it, but I'd love to keep it on hand in my kitchen for a quick breakfast when I don't feel like fixing bacon and eggs.
  • amindyleigh
    amindyleigh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing these recipes everywhere but haven't been able to find chia seeds. I may have to order them online! I'm not sure I'd want to travel with it, but I'd love to keep it on hand in my kitchen for a quick breakfast when I don't feel like fixing bacon and eggs.
    [/quote]

Not sure where you live, but Winners carries chia seeds all the time and they are much cheaper than health food stores like Goodness Me.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    I buy Chia seeds in Costco, if you have one near you. Other option is ordering on Amazon but it is going to cost you more.
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I order my chia seeds on amazon
  • Boringdoug
    Boringdoug Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Like... Chia pets?
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Never heard of Winners and the nearest Costco is about 40 minutes away (and don't you need a membership there?). Looks like Amazon might be the way to go.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    These are my go-to's when I'm on the road:

Subway - Tuna or chicken Salad, all veggies, dressing (oil & vinegar, chipotle, ranch) - the steak is not as low carb as you'd think
    Jimmy John's - Unwiches
    Potbelly's - Lettuce wrapped sandwiches
    Wendy's - Chicken ceasar salad, no croutons; bacon cheeseburger, no bun, no ketchup
    Burger King - Low Carb Whopper with Cheese, no ketchup; Salad, no croutons
    McDonald's - McDouble, no ketchup, take off the bun (they normally make a fuss about it, and it's still higher in carb than you'd probably like.
    Chipotle - Salad bowl with steak/chicken/carnitas, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, cheese
    Five Guys - Cheese burger all the way, no ketchup, no bun

All diners will be able to make you omelettes, bacon and eggs, chicken salads of all kinds, and broth based soups. Steaks and salads should become your best friend when ordering out. It's the easiest thing to order, because most places will have something similar.

You can always stock up on almonds (lightly salted, raw, cocoa, cinnamon, etc) and if you have access to a fridge, individually wrapped cheeses (polly-o cheese sticks, kraft cheddar single servings, babybel)

It's definitely possible!
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions! You have brought my anxiety level way down :)

57250916.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yes, like Chia Pet----this is the seed that grows that grass "hair."

Travel: I take cheese slices, walnuts on the plane. I try to stay places where I can cook or at least have a fridge for all the same foods I eat at home.

Good luck!
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    I know its available for iphone, but I wouldn't be able to speak to anythings else, but I found an app called KetoFinder. It has some foods for chain restaurants but needs more users inputting foods to be a more useful database. But its still a helpful resource at times.