Match IIFYM with MFP help please!

Options
I went to the If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) website and calculated my nutrition plan, with a suggested 15% fat loss goal. I workout 5-6 days a week, some days more than once, averaging between 400-800 calories a day depending on the day, it varies. I do strength training with dumbbells and body-weight, HIIT and TABATA style cardio videos (fitnessblender.com) and elliptical. Last week my total calorie burn per my Heart Rate Monitor was 3500, the week before 3300, the week before 3900. I currently weigh 145 and I am 5'5''.

So my question is somewhat simple, which method would be more accurate...?

Setting my goals on My Fitness Pal (MFP) to match the sedentary 15% fat loss suggested nutrition plan on IIFYM and continue tracking/eating back a portion of my exercise calories/macros....

Set to sedentary it looks like this:
CARBS PROTEIN FAT FIBER CALORIES
GRAMS per day 105.8 123.3 58 29 - 36 1438

OR

Setting my goals on MFP to match the 6/times a week exercise level 15% fat loss suggested nutrition plan on IIFYM and stop tracking/eating back a portion of my exercise calories...

Set to 6/times a week exercise level it looks like this:
CARBS PROTEIN FAT FIBER CALORIES
GRAMS per day 197.5 123.3 58 29 - 36 1805

Please help, I am trying to focus more on macros (my diary is open by the way!).

Thanks!

Replies

• mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm following completely, but hopefully this helps:

Using IIFYM determines your TDEE minus desired calories, and corresponding macros, for weight loss (or gain). The calculator already takes into account your calories burned from exercise. You adjust your exercise level to represent the average amount you exercise each week. So if using the IIFYM calculator you do not eat back exercise calories.

To specifically address your question of accuracy, unfortunately no estimation will be completely accurate. The best thing to do is use the calculator to estimate, measure everything as accurately as possible, and then make small adjustments as needed to get the desired results over time.
  • watermelonsugar_
    Options
    From what I understand, the calculations of IIFYM take into account your exercise calories already by using the TDEE. I have MFP set at the calories and macronutrients IIFYM gave to me and I do not track exercise as it skews the numbers.

I also like this calculator as well for figuring out your TDEE: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
    You can customize based on the intensity of exercise, as well a rest periods. Again, not tracking exercise in MFP.

If you need a visual of the exercise, either write it in your notes or log it as 1 cal burned for exercise.
  • cd0326
    Options
    If I understand you correctly, you're trying to match your goals on MFP to your IIFYM goals? If you go to the My Home tab on MFP, then Goals, then Change Goals, you can set your macros to roughly exactly what you want by changing the percentage ratio of carbs to protein to fat. Maybe I totally misunderstood you, but I had wondered that before, so I think that might be what you were asking! Also, I just ignore the calories that MFP subtracts from your daily calorie intake from workouts, since the IIFYM calculator takes that into account.
  • Lisalisaw4
    Lisalisaw4 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Set mfp to IIFYM using your actual activity level and do not eat back your exercise..... I put my activity in at the very end just for kicks but not until I am done tracking for the day.... :)