Goodbye Extract Only Brews?

Options
vytamindi
vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
I have a formal observation in half an hour (I'm a teacher), so of course I spend my last few minutes thinking constructively about beer.

Looking forward to one day doing all grain. Thinking I should test the waters with a BIAB, and I wanted to do an equipment check. Can't find a reliable one (meaning a list of equipment needed without someone trying to sell me something) online, so I figured I would ask you guys.

So far, I have acquired:

*15G aluminum kettle
*SS Stock pot (3 gallons? maybe?)
*Bayou Banjo Burner
*10G Igloo Cooler (not mash tun adapted, straight outta the box right now)
*Hydrometer
*Wort chiller
*numerous thermometers, bucket fermenters, etc.
*Straining bag: not sure on the size, but I'm sure I could fit my huge cat in it.

I don't do kegging yet, so I'm sticking to bottles, but that has nothing to do with the AG or BIAB brewing process.

So, any tips? Suggestions? Things that others say you need but you've been just fine without? First recipe suggestions?

Thanks guys/gals.

Replies

• ashman372
    Options
    Really you're almost set for all grain, mash tun out that 10g cooler and you're ready. As far as BIAB you've got more than enough equipment to do that. So at this point it's just what kind of beer do you want :) I come up with all my own recipes from Beersmith, although there are quite a few recipes available on their forums also. Check out the forums at www.beersmith.com if you want some recipes.

If you want a recipe suggestion just let me know what kind of beer you wish to have and I'll make one for you, along with instructions and anything else you might need.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Man, thanks for taking the time to reply. Looks like I have a fun project coming up with my Igloo cooler.

I honestly have no idea where to start when it comes to recipes. So many things I want to try! Maybe something with a quick turnaround so I can taste it ASAP, but then again I already have 5 gallons of an IPA and 5 gallons of a trippel fermenting right now, so I'm not running low on beer any time soon.

I appreciate it! Thanks for the recommendation of beersmith. I forgot all about that website.

Cheers!
  • ashman372
    Options
    Heh, right now I've got a dubbel I just bottled and a trippel fermenting in the primary. I should be racking it in the next day or so and then starting my IPA.
  • jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'll second using beersmith. Love it!

As for going all grain ... I've done it, and when I did it I was still a little green, experience wise, so my beer ended up a little "thin."

Currently I'm favoring BIAB or partial mash brews, but I do like the easy and simplicity of an extract brew day. Especially as a busy dad :)
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I haven't brewed with extract in years......I created my own spreadsheet using the Designing Great Beers Book by Ray Daniels - definitely worth the money.

One thing I find indispensable now is my electronic thermometer w/ timer, temp alarm and detachable probe. I can use it for mash water temp, mash temp, boil temp, chill temp.......

Depending on the beer style you want to make you will need some form of false bottom - although I see you use a straining bag.

I have an Imperial IPA I will dry hop this weekend and a red lager fermenting. Sunday I believe I will make a rye ale.

My efficiency of wort conversion is anywhere between 70 and 74% - the Imperial IPA was supposed to be an IPA starting at 1.060 - when I chilled - I found it had ended at 1.070! Happy fluke.

Takes me about 3.5 to 4hrs from start to pitch.
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    +1 to the mash tun out of your igloo cooler. That's what I use. Love it.

I have been doing all grain for a while now, 4 years. Nothing better. Complete control, but can be a little intimidating at first. First recipe all grain? Just go for it. IPA/IIPA. Nothing easier. If you don't want to dry hop, do a Pale Ale. Find a clone of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which is the ultimate pale ale to brew. It's so clean and to style.

If you ARE looking for a particular recipe, you can post what you want, and have people give recommendations on how they do it. For instance, if you want to do a Cream Ale, I would recommend using mostly 6-row, with some flaked maize and flaked oats. If you want to do an IPA, or DIPA, I suggest a combo of 2-row and maris otter for base, and then mix in some 20L and 40L Crystal to give you a complex malt base. Then, hop the CRAP out of it.

Good luck, and let us know how you end up doing with it!

FYI: Currently have a Tripel, Saison, and DIPA in fermentation, with a DIPA and Smoked Porter on tap.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: