30-somethings: how do you work out and avoid injury?

Options
seapard
seapard Posts: 33 Member
I'm 5'11" and only recognized the need to maintain an active lifestyle late in my twenties. The problem with discovering this so late is that finding your athletic niche later in life is tricky! Further, you're a little more inclined to get yourself injured.

I did yoga but after a few years became bored with it. I had a few failed gym memberships. I did roller derby which I loved but broke an ankle. Running caused a long list of back issues. I do Pilates because I know it's good for my core and back but I'm just not that into it.

I just joined a Title Boxing gym and am so far enjoying it, but I'm interested in seeing what other tall ladies out there are doing to be active and healthy!

Always looking for new MFP friends to keep the motivation levels high!

Replies

• divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    For me it is a matter of logic and listening to my body.

I try to work out 4 days a week. In the classes I take I consider what the instructor is doing vs. what I know I can do. I try to strike a fine balance between pushing myself and killing/hurting myself.

Also I have to keep in mind it takes me a bit longer to swing, run, twist, etc these long limbs than others. With that said I sometimes pull a muscle, but I think that is just apt to happen working out in general - regardless of height or size.
  • MissFluffly
    Options
    I do calisthenics, body weight exercises with very limited weights and bands. I used to lift weights but that would leave me hella sore and injured. Since I switched to mostly bodyweight I never get sore or hurt the way I used to and I like the more functional muscle definition too. I tried pilates too and it bored me out of my mind. I like yoga, calisthenics, hula hoop & jump rope/trampoline. I think your boxing gym idea sounds good.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I try to mix it up. Most of my exercise comes from running, yoga, and TRX. But I also hike a lot in the summer (like HOURS of hiking), trail run, bike, paddleboard, and I recently bought a punch card for the local climbing wall.

Summer is a lot easier to stay active. Right now I am running around a small circle in my apartment building a couple times a week. It's so boring!! But I work in sprints, do carioca, etc to try to mix it up.

I got really bored with my yoga class too. Most of the people that were in the class were older or new, so the class didn't offer much to inspire. I still go once a month (or less) to get posture corrections, but most of my home practice is based on the poses I like and inspirations from instagram. I've been working a lot on arm balances and it's been really fun.
  • carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I tend to have workout ADD so I am easily bored with doing the same old thing all the time. I am always trying out new workout programs. I have done everything from Insanity, kickboxing, cross-fit, weight lifting, running and a mixture of all. Right now I am doing Les MIlls Combat. I find the easiest way to avoid injury is always using proper technique whether its lifting weight or throwing a punch. I also had back issues in my past during my first year of college basketball I did physical therapy and also worked hard to strengthen my core muscels and havent had a problem since then (im 31 now). I have always struggled with yoga and pilates b/c I cant sit still for that long! lol

I agree with divainsneakers, its hard sometimes to keep up with some of the workout videos when they are doing burpees or something. By the time I get my long legs down and out the people on the video are already up and ready for the next one. But I just go at my how pace and keep movin!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of trying out different things. I was never athletic when I was younger (outside of taking step aerobics in college the 90's!) so now that I'm older I kept trying different things. For example I quickly learned that I didn't like boot camp style or dancey workouts and I like working out on my own instead of a gym (I do enjoy fitness classes).

What has worked for me is calisthenics, Pilates, lifting weights, low or no impact cardio/HIIT workout videos and using equipment like a mini-stepper, hula hoop, a chin up bar, exercise ball etc. Also I enjoy getting active like ice skating, snowboarding, tennis, volleyball and powerwalking whenever I can.

I put together good slightly challenging workouts that changes daily so I never get bored. Also I'm not beating up my body and I see results of my hard work.

It took me a long time to get to this point though, but now I can say I truly enjoy working out. :)
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm still in my 20s but having experienced many injuries early, one of the biggest things I did was started lifting regularly. My bones and joints are healthier and happier since I started lifting regularly - particularly my knees which have troubled me since I was a teen. Low impact cardio is always a good option if you're dealing with pain. Elliptical, AMT, bike, swimming.

Also, invest in a foam roller and Youtube how to use it if you're not familiar.