Eggs

Options
kelag297
kelag297 Posts: 103 Member
So for my vegan peeps, i've managed to cut meat and dairy out my diet, however, i cannot find anything with the same nutritional value as eggs. I eat like 3 or 4 eggs a day because i workout a lot and im wearing out my plant protein sources. I need something with the same amount of protein as an egg that is semi low carb..any suggestions?

Replies

• Courage1895
    Options
    You should watch forks over knives they give a lot of good and interesting nutrition information and they wrote a cookbook that helps you prepare low calorie, low sugar, and low fat foods that are nutritious and fulfill your dietary needs.
  • kelag297
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check that out :)
  • Kallie3000
    Kallie3000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Not vegan, but I have been adding tons of chia and hemp seeds to pretty much every meal, on the advice of my dietician. I never realized how much protein they add!!
  • marma_13
    marma_13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great topic. I would suggest checking out any of the many books and articles out there about vegan weight lifting. Another book that comes to mind is The Engine Two Diet -- written by the Firefighter son of the all plant/no fat heart doctor, Esselstyn (Clinton's MD). When you think about it, that big giant steer that most people think of as the ideal protein source managed to build up all the protein by eating plants, mostly grass. I am NOT an authority, just a semi-well-read vegan. Good luck.
  • shadowmom75
    Options
    I'll second watching the Forks over Knives movie and checking out the engine1diet.com website. That's the plan that I'm following and I've been doing great.
  • kelag297
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys!
  • kelag297
    Options
    So I've found that chia seeds work sometimes as an egg alternative, but not all the time when baking and cooking. But i've discovered flax seed as a great alternative. I've been putting in in a few recipes and it works great! For one egg you just mix one tbsp of flax seed and 3 tbsp of water in a bowl and let it sit for a while and it forms somewhat of a gel and works great! I've also discovered on the internet gram flour which is flour made from chickpeas, i'd never heard of it before. People use it to make omelets and what not. I'm excited to get some and try it!