Hiking in the Redwoods

Options
SwedishMel
SwedishMel Posts: 95 Member
I live in Northern California, deep in redwood country. Between the giant sequoias and the rocky coastline my hiking views are always breathtaking. I just joined this group today & got excited that there are others out there who hike for fun too. I know what I see when I'm hiking, but what kind of terrain/views do you all see when you go for a hike?

Replies

• robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I live in northern washington - the Cascades are my home. The high desert of the east side during the shoulder seasons and the glaciated peaks in the summer. Life is good here
  • HikerLiz
    HikerLiz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I too hike in Washington state, usually in the Cascade mountains. So that means mossy fir forests, waterfalls, glacial tarns, wildflowers, Mount Rainier in the distance, other Cascade peaks all around...

I love hiking in the Redwoods too. I was fortunate enough to go hiking in Kings Canyon/Sequoia last year, and the big trees were amazing!

We're taking a road trip down to Santa Cruz soon - any hikes you'd recommend we stop at along the way?
  • SwedishMel
    Options
    It depends on if you want to make your trip last a little longer, but if you don't mind driving along the coastline I recommend going to Jedediah State Park in Crecent City. It's about an hour south from the Oregon boarder. There's an old road with BEAUTIFUL views. It's a one lane dirt road (so it wouldn't work if you're taking an RV), but there are different groves and trails all along it. There's a five mile trail that my fiance and I took last time we went. Watch out for widow makers though.

If you happen to hit Trinidad, California, there is the Trinidad head trail, a nice beach walk, college grove, along with many other little trails here and there. It's really a fun spot on a sunny day.

Also, if you're going down the coast, down a little farther, the 30-mile-long Avenue of the Giants in Humboldt Redwoods is the classic redwood drive. I highly recommend the four-mile side trip down Mattole Road (a narrow, bumpy paved road through some of the world's tallest trees), which leads to half-mile walks in the Rockefeller Grove and also in the Big Tree Area. There are many short hikes there, and the trees are huge. :smile:

This, of course, is if you go by route 101. If you take the 5 your trip will go faster, but you'll miss the old growth, and second growth redwoods. :smile: Of course, I think it's worth it.
  • HikerLiz
    HikerLiz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great suggestions!
  • SwedishMel
    Options
    It's been raining, but that hasn't stopped my hiking here in Humboldt! :wink: Hope others out there are managing to get out in nature despite the weather.

Happy Hiking!
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm hiking frequently since later January when I got home from a vacation. I'm in Arizona and hike in the McDowell's near my home. It is the McDowell Sonoran Preserve which is about 30,000 acres. Many different hikes from easy to very difficult, short to long. I'm working my way up again. One of these days I'll learn how to post photos.
  • SwedishMel
    Options
    :tongue: I attempted to post a photo that I took recently from a hike, but the link kept saying it was broken. Maybe because it was a Flickr account? Not sure.

But if anyone wants to see some of the Redwood hiking views that my fiance & I get here is the web address:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayandmelphotography/sets/72157640181858285/

Drool away. ;) I love looking at those trees!
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I went to Humboldt for grad school - spent a lot of time hiking in those redwoods! :happy: I've also lived in the redwoods in the Santa Cruz Mountains as well. There really is nothing like a hike under those trees. :heart: