Thoughts on building up to squats?

Options
MyIdaho54
MyIdaho54 Posts: 81 Member
I have started a weight training program but do not do squats. I can see where it would be advantageous but I'm not ready to do them with a barbell... I'm 59 yrs old,weigh 288 pounds, and have arthritic knees. I had a meniscus repair on my knee a couple years ago that wasn't fully rehabbed. Walking on a treadmill and doing leg presses have improved the situation where both knees are stronger and stable. I'm thinking I should do the following: work on perfecting bodyweight squats for a few weeks then move to say goblet squats for a few weeks and finally try squats with an unweighted barbell. What do you think, is this a reasonable plan?

BTW, when I grow up, I want to be as strong as SaraUK! :)

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a very good plan, yes.

You could also do some body weight rear foot elevated single leg squats when body weigh squats get too easy.
  • Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can use the Smith machine just with the bar, that would also teach you good form.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You can use the Smith machine just with the bar, that would also teach you good form.

IMO you should not use the smith machine to learn form, it also tends to put too much pressure on your knees..

OP - can you learn with just the barbell and no weights, that would be about 45 pounds.

You can also you tube videos for form, and also pick up a copy of starting strength...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would start with just bodyweight and be careful even at that, given that you've had previous knee issues.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do any squatting without some form of stabilisation (wrap, sleeve etc) and without getting the greenlight with someone who can make a better assessment of your knees, especially as you're learning form and you'll be more likely to have knees coming out of line.
  • MyIdaho54
    MyIdaho54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the all thoughtful replies! I was able to find an excellent video that demonstrated various BW squats, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ux1w1xiPE The gentleman has great form but don't think I'll be able to do the sideways squats, see starting at: 1:05 LOL! Doesn't he look too tall for the room he's in? Actually I want to play softball again so improving flexibility will be very important as I pitch...