Feeling overwhelmed......

Options
seamoth
seamoth Posts: 69 Member
I was doing really well (I think) and had lost steadily at +\- 1.5 lbs a week. Exercising too. Then, as usual, I went and blew it all in the space of 30 mts by stuffing myself with a whole (medium sized) bag of liquorice all sorts and a large packet of kettle crisps.. I didn't even have them in the house.....I deliberately set off, grim faced, to the local shop and bought them. Took them home, sat on the couch (like a proper potato) and ate until both packets were empty. Then cried. And cried. And tried to figure out what triggered this off. It was an argument with my husband and his following on coldness to me. Just couldn't cope with the sadness.....it hurt in the pit of the stomach. So tried to comfort and sooth (yeah, I know, the old old story) with forbidden foods.
I don't dare weigh myself now, I've probably put at least a couple of lbs back on.....after all my effort and determination.....just feeling a bit.....overwhelmed.....by it all.

Replies

• 2boys111
    2boys111 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Awww, we have all been there. It's a mistake. Don't beat yourself up. It is so hard to stay on track and not abuse yourself with food but it's a learning experience.

Think next time what you will do? Call someone? A cup of tea? Exercise to get the frustration out?

And you know, sometimes I still turn to food but I do it consciously. I KNOW the food won't solve it but at that moment it's the choice I'm making. And that's ok!

Hugs to you!
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This kind of mentality kept me smoking for years longer than I should have. I would quit smoking then flub up and smoke one after two weeks and then go buy a carton. Once I learned to climb right back on the wagon after falling off, I finally made it stick. I haven't had a cigarette in four years now.

I think that the best thing you can do is realize that all is not lost. Don't weigh yourself tomorrow, just carry on as before and weigh yourself in a week or so. You are okay, I promise.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    You're human. Take a deep breath, jump back on the horse and keep going. You may find that you haven't done as much damage as you thought. Sometimes the imagination makes things bigger and scarier than they are.
  • watermelonsugar_
    Options
    It's weird how we take "control" by losing control. I can relate to that feeling of standing in a grocery store line up, going out of my way to buy food that I know I'm going to eat all at once. It's tough, but remember that it's only working against your happiness. Try to find some different outlets.

Grab a book and go to a coffee shop to unwind, go for a walk and bring a long some music, go visit a friend, have a bath, write your thoughts down and rip them up. Sometimes it's tough to figure out what you need instead, I definitely tend to find more success in doing something to distract me if I know my emotions are based on something I can't control (such as stubborn husbands).

Just remember you are worth it, and if you do fall back on old habits - remember every moment is a fresh start. Drink some herbal tea tonight to help both calm you, and help you wake up not feeling the after-effects of over eating. I also recommend for moments where stress gets the best of you, a supplement called L-theanine. I used to use it for mild anxiety, and I found it helped me calm down enough to be rational about my decisions. It's essentially just a calming ingredient found in tea.

I'm sorry your husband was being stubborn. If you can, open up to him about how you're trying to cope with things differently. Even if his feelings are valid, perhaps you can help each other cope when problems arise.

Keep positive!
  • seamoth
    Options
    Thanks so much, guys! Really appreciate your combined wisdom and kindness. I am back up again now.......taken all your advice onboard.....and feeling a lot more positive! Thanks again for being there.
  • TonyTrink
    TonyTrink Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great post and awesome responses! It's so amazing that you were able to identify what feelings were going on during this binge, that's so important. It's important because the next time they come up I can do something different, and there were several great suggestions already on this thread from folks. The good news is, one slip with a binge, even if it was a whole package of licorice and chips, isn't going to add weight on. I didn't to the weight I'm at by one binge episode. I got here by dealing with all my emotional moments with a binge over several years.

I loved the comment about quitting smoking. That's totally my mentality. "Oh crap, I messed up and didn't do this right, so now I'm bad and must punish myself with even more badness! You bad baddy bad bad!" Then I'd usually binge for about six months, pack on another 5-10 lbs, and feel even worse about myself.

I've had a few binge episodes this go around. This time, instead of throwing in the towel and going right off the deep end, I'm taking a deep breath, realizing I can't undo all the work I've done so far by one binge, and getting back on track immediately. Having other people who understand, that I can talk to when I'm feeling triggered for a binge or in the aftermath of a binge has made all the difference this time. So far, the few binges I've had, had only lasted one "meal." They haven't been all day affairs, and haven't been back to back either. They have been several weeks apart, and the ones I've caught at the trigger stage, before they turned into food, waaaaay out number the actual binges.

Accepting I'm not going to do this perfectly has been so important to me. You original post talked about your husband not being supportive or saying something mean that made you sad, I've had to start paying attention to how I'm talking to myself and treating myself. Once I can treat me how I want others to treat me, then, I think, I'll be much more firm in my stance when dealing with others. I can't really expect others to treat me in manner I'm not willing to treat me, so start being more gentle and understanding with yourself first.
  • hihowru2day
    hihowru2day Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dont worry. This happens to me all of the time. I came off of a Keto diet so the carb/sweet cravings have been very hard to control after.

I start the day/week or whatever period so good and then I just let it go. I would actually walk up to the store, buy a dessert suqare and then because I felt so guilty about eating it, I bought something else shortly after and then just sat in misery.

Don't worry about it. I know this may not be the right way to go, but look at it like a treat that you deserve instead of punishment because that is only conducive to negativity.

Remember, eating one dessert, chips, pizza or even a night of gluttony didn't make you overweight so one little thing won't be a huge detriment to all the amazing progress you have had so far. You deserve it.

In fact, I suggest going to the same store, buying something you really consider a treat. Leaving that in your kitchen for the end of the week and knowing you have EARNED it. I am not saying always reward yourself with food, but I am saying, turn around the way you look at it and then instead of tears, you will have sheer enjoyment (as you should) which will propel you to do better, work out harder and just enjoy food and life for what it is. :)

We are all a work-in-progress here!
  • dconn3114
    dconn3114 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great advice. Just don't give up!!!!
  • seamoth
    Options
    Tonytrink: You understand. Great advice, -thank you so, so much. I feel like giving you a hug and we don't even know each other! However, consider youself hugged. (i'm not a habitual hugger, never fear!).
  • seamoth
    Options
    Hihowareutoday: Thanks for your reply, and a very interesting suggestion which is clever and makes me want to try it. So I will. I am still feeling overwhelmed, but now ONLY because of the amazing replies, with so much wisdom and understanding. And compassion. Thank you all SO much!
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Great info from people here.

The way another person treats us and behaves says everything about them and nothing about us.
    Whatever he said was all about him.
    Don't worry about that little binge just look ahead.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    After I have done something like this, I pick myself up, dust myself off and carry on because I am human and will have bad days and days where I will binge but I am not those days I am more than that. In the past I would allow it to derail me but this time I am accepting that I am a frail human who will have bad days and one bad day is not the end of things it is just a minor speed bump in life.
  • seamoth
    Options
    and one bad day is not the end of things it is just a minor speed bump in life.

Like that.! Will remember it! Thank you!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    It%27s-possible.gif
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I too am an emotional eater. It has been my downfall for many years. I have been at the same job for over thirty plus years. My job can be rewarding, but it is also very stressful and demanding. For a long time when I would be stressed out at work I would come home and hit the sweets and carbs. Since starting on this new journey to be healthier by losing weight. I decided to retrain that habit by replacing it with something that was healthier for me. I know this is mainly due to anxiety and the stress. So I decided to go for relaxing herbal teas some days and adding daily exercise to my life. Most days I do okay. Today has been especially difficult due to the heavy work load that I have and hearing today that I have an emergency project to get done by next Friday and also that I may get yet another work increase in another project. When I got home I went straight for the herbal tea. I can really empathize with binging. . Every grocery store aisle has some temptations. Then of course it is near Valentines' Day so they have mega bags of candy, giant hearts of candy, heart shaped cupcakes and cookies. It definitely can be overwhelming. But you have to keep on going. If you eat that whole bag of hershey kisses. Just know that tomorrow you can choose to start over and make better choices.
  • 0livegar
    Options
    A great website that I have been using to help me through the difficult times is...

http://pockethungercoach.com/

See if it helps :) Its a small step but does make you think about why you want to binge eat at that moment :)
  • seamoth
    Options
    Great info from people here.

The way another person treats us and behaves says everything about them and nothing about us.
    Whatever he said was all about him.
    Don't worry about that little binge just look ahead.

Thank you so much!
  • seamoth
    Options
    A great website that I have been using to help me through the difficult times is...

http://pockethungercoach.com/

See if it helps :) Its a small step but does make you think about why you want to binge eat at that moment :)

Will check it ou today...many thanks ????