FEBRUARY CHALLENGE GROUP!!

Options

Replies

• Tigredia
    Tigredia Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If any read my last couple of posts-I stated my carbs wrong. I was saying 25% of calories was carbs. WRONG WRONG
    I am sorry It is actually 25 net carbs not 25%. SORRY
  • tunesntea
    Options
    I weighed first thing this morning (earlier than usual) and matched my ticker. YEAH!
    It was the mind boost I needed.
    The only "bad" I did from being discouraged was eat way too much cool whip when I was down, went over carb count but stayed in ketosis, thank goodness!

I'm glad I didn't thoroughly mess myself up, I don't need any self sabotage during a stall!
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    25 grams of "net carbs" could bump you out of Ketosis as often times net carbs are "half' of the total carbs eatin in a single day, so if you find yourself not losing weight or stalling out, then you may have to look into going for total carbs per day and not net carbs?,,
    food for thought,
    So many of you are losing fantastic wieght so far, I am very proud of you all here, keep up the great work , its so fun to see the scale go down and to wear smaller clothes!
  • Lori0534
    Lori0534 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Down .5 this morning, so 7.5 so far! I'll take it since I was out of town!
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    February Goal -6#

02.09.2014 - down -1.6#
    02.13.2014 - down -2.8#

-4.4# . . . 73.3% Goal Achievement!

Month of February Time Lapse 46.4%

Ahead of Schedule to Meet February Goal!

=^x^=
  • chownot
    chownot Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Tunenesta,

The same thing was happening to me, I didn't feel like I was off plan but my weight was up and down 3 pounds every day with no movement down. I switched to Ideal Protein (which is low carb but way more restrictive than Atkins) and I'm losing again. I have to give some credibility to what Tim says, the "new" Atkins leaves a lot to the imagination and I think that some people are sensitive to some of the foods allowed and thus the pounds you are seeing are most likely related to water weight. Eliminate nuts and fruits and you might see the scale move. If you continue to be frustrated, check out Ideal Protein.
  • timwhoa
    Options
    ita astonishing to me that fruit would ever be considered on a low carb diet, let alone atkins?,, fruit was strickly a no no in the old atkins books,, lol, some nuts were allowed by atkins, especially macadamia nuts,
    GiVE me A BIG PORTER HOUSE STEAK!! smile
    have a great day everyone
  • chownot
    chownot Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think the new atkins books have made a whole mess out of this diet, the "net carbs" thing takes too many people down bunny trials and causes them to spend weeks not achieving thier goals, some of us are just too carb sensative, and atkins talked about this in his OLD BOOKS!! the ones from the 1970's , in the old books you counted EVERY CARB!!! and you capped it at 20 for the day, and he was so forward with the idea or MEAT and CHEESE!! and more MEAT and more BACON!! lol, and more HEAVY CREAM!!,, can you groove with it?,, so if your struggling with losing weight on atkins go Old School atkins, dont get me wrong, net carb counting does work for some people, and it makes the diet much more interesting/ palatable, but if you find yourself stuck in a rut, or even gaining weight, then try going old school, have days and days where you eat plenty of meat and eggs, all types of meat, if its lunch meat or hotdogs, you have to find the zero carb or 1 carb stuff, it does cost more,, NO BAR S brand!! you will find yourself NOT HUNGRY in a matter of a few days, and you will find the scale dropping,
    Sorry for the caps, just feel like shouting it from the rooftops,
    have a great day all
    Tim

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lose-weight-by-achieving-optimal-ketosis

Tim, I just found this and thought it was interesting. For individuals that aren't losing as much as they think they should, they can measure their blood ketones to see if they are in "optimal ketosis" the culprit may be too much protein and/or carbs. It is suggested to increase the fat intake and reduce the protein to see if that leads to optimal ketosis. Have you ever tried this "magic bullet" coffee? it doesn't sound very tasty.
  • Lori0534
    Lori0534 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I fell off the wagon big time last night and had pizza. It didn't cause a gain, but no loss. Oh well...I am so hungry today. I think I am going to fall off again ha. I'll get back to it tomorrow.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think the new atkins books have made a whole mess out of this diet, the "net carbs" thing takes too many people down bunny trials and causes them to spend weeks not achieving thier goals, some of us are just too carb sensative, and atkins talked about this in his OLD BOOKS!! the ones from the 1970's , in the old books you counted EVERY CARB!!! and you capped it at 20 for the day, and he was so forward with the idea or MEAT and CHEESE!! and more MEAT and more BACON!! lol, and more HEAVY CREAM!!,, can you groove with it?,, so if your struggling with losing weight on atkins go Old School atkins, dont get me wrong, net carb counting does work for some people, and it makes the diet much more interesting/ palatable, but if you find yourself stuck in a rut, or even gaining weight, then try going old school, have days and days where you eat plenty of meat and eggs, all types of meat, if its lunch meat or hotdogs, you have to find the zero carb or 1 carb stuff, it does cost more,, NO BAR S brand!! you will find yourself NOT HUNGRY in a matter of a few days, and you will find the scale dropping,
    Sorry for the caps, just feel like shouting it from the rooftops,
    have a great day all
    Tim

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lose-weight-by-achieving-optimal-ketosis

Tim, I just found this and thought it was interesting. For individuals that aren't losing as much as they think they should, they can measure their blood ketones to see if they are in "optimal ketosis" the culprit may be too much protein and/or carbs. It is suggested to increase the fat intake and reduce the protein to see if that leads to optimal ketosis. Have you ever tried this "magic bullet" coffee? it doesn't sound very tasty.
    I'm curious too....anyone try the magic bullet coffee?
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have used bulletproof coffee, especially as an easy breakfast. Basically, coffee with any combination of coconut oil, butter and heavy cream. You can add some stevia, cinammon or a little vanilla for flavor.

I totally fell off the program in November and am now back on it since Monday and back on the message boards. 4lbs down this week so far, but it is ALL water weight, since I gained my 20 lbs back since November - my ticker reflects my regression.

There are multiple reasons why I am back at this point now, my doctor put me on some hormones in November, I over celebrated for my birthday and kept right on going through Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, AND I have been extremely stressed out at work and just not motivated to stick to this.

The good news is that I am rededicating myself in February, instead of in June like I did last year. So much earlier in the year and more determined to focus on myself! I am also getting Invisalign braces next week, which you have to take out and floss/brush, every time you eat, so will make me think about each meal and hopefully reduce the urge to snack, since it is so much work to go through every time you eat anything!

Wishing everyone good luck for February and nice to see you again!

-Christine
  • jamm2000
    Options
    I'm going to start the induction phase of Atkins on Tuesday, 2/18. I'm hoping to lose 11 lbs in the 11 days left in February. When I'm committed to diet and exercise, I lose weight rather quickly. It's the whole commitment thing that usually gets me. I'm participating in a weight loss challenge at work from 2/18 - 4/1 (6 weeks) so I'm hoping Atkins will a. help me win this contest b. help me to give up my addiction to carbs.
  • timwhoa
    Options
    i am finding as we get "hold overs' from the old "low fat days" we find people that are trying to do atkins and do it with proteins and carbs, meaning lean proteins and net carbs, this appears out of the old fears of cloggging artieries and fat = bad = heart attacks,, so get people who try to do lean proteins leave out the fat, the big problem here is FAT is the the thing our bodies need, Fat is the thing that is GOOD for us, its hard to unwind years of bad teaching. there are some of us here who go on "fat fasts" and we lose wieght rapidly!! atkins warns about the lack of fat , its this lack of fat that sends people to emergency rooms who try low carb and they go to "protein only" if you eat only protein and 'net carbs' you are setting yourself up for a 'bad ride",,
  • susies1955
    susies1955 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started Induction on Monday. I have 20 lbs that I want to lose...Well, really I would like to lose 25 lbs by summer. So far, I have lost 4.5 lbs since Monday on Induction! I know it is water weight, but a loss is a loss in my book! I am working out 6 x per week and keeping my carbs right at 20 a day. I am 31, 5'2" and starting weight was 143. Haven't been able to get the last 20 lbs off since having my daughter 2.5 years ago! I really want to lose 10 lbs total by the end of February! My goal by the summer is to be 123 and my ultimate goal weight is 115! However, if I get back to the 120's I will be very pleased!

Hi,
    Your the age of my youngest son. :)
    I also started Feb. 3rd. I had done Atkins 10 year ago for about a year and I got back to it after that long because the PAIN in my body is ridiculous and I know deep down that SUGAR is evil. LOL.
    I also am 5' 2"! I had 18 to lose. I lost 6 the first week and I weight in again tomorrow but I don't think I lost anything. I have stuck to the plan perfect BUT I'm having constipation problems so that may be what is going on.
    I started out at 138 and want to weigh around 120.
    Keep at it and you'll get where you want to be.
    Susie
  • reneejun23
    Options
    Ok, I know I'm late to the February Challenge Group. I hope you'll let me jump on!

I'm starting induction tomorrow after losing 19 pounds on my own low carb/low calorie diet creation (The goal was 1200 calories/~50 grams of carbs/day). However, I'm *hovering* at 170 pounds. On the plus side, I don't weigh 189 anymore, but....after 4 weeks of hovering (oh, Hell - it might be closer to 6 weeks of hovering), I'm no closer to my goal weight of 150. I'm frustrated.

Any tips on what to replace white onions with when cooking? I've found my stroganoff recipe (I eat it with broccoli on the side instead of egg noodles) has too many carbs. Which is a bummer.

Good luck to everyone on the Atkins journey!
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible Friday & Saturday... got back on the wagon today but I'm afraid to get on the scale. LOL
  • my1focus
    my1focus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had a terrible 4 day weekend!!! Disappointed in myself..BUT I refuse to give up. Full force again starting tomorrow. I can still meet my goal. NO MORE CHEAT DAYS!
  • tunesntea
    Options
    Tunenesta,

The same thing was happening to me, I didn't feel like I was off plan but my weight was up and down 3 pounds every day with no movement down. I switched to Ideal Protein (which is low carb but way more restrictive than Atkins) and I'm losing again. I have to give some credibility to what Tim says, the "new" Atkins leaves a lot to the imagination and I think that some people are sensitive to some of the foods allowed and thus the pounds you are seeing are most likely related to water weight. Eliminate nuts and fruits and you might see the scale move. If you continue to be frustrated, check out Ideal Protein.

Thanks. I haven't been eating nuts or fruits and I don't think I would be really happy eating a steak without anything on it. I usually need about 4 carbs to dress it.

I went off it Valentines and for the weekend. I went back on yesterday. Today, if i eat what is scheduled, I'll be at 27 carbs (I normally don't eat veggies but i needed them today). Sliding back into it, hopefully I just needed a break.
  • tunesntea
    Options
    i am finding as we get "hold overs' from the old "low fat days" we find people that are trying to do atkins and do it with proteins and carbs, meaning lean proteins and net carbs, this appears out of the old fears of cloggging artieries and fat = bad = heart attacks,, so get people who try to do lean proteins leave out the fat, the big problem here is FAT is the the thing our bodies need, Fat is the thing that is GOOD for us, its hard to unwind years of bad teaching. there are some of us here who go on "fat fasts" and we lose wieght rapidly!! atkins warns about the lack of fat , its this lack of fat that sends people to emergency rooms who try low carb and they go to "protein only" if you eat only protein and 'net carbs' you are setting yourself up for a 'bad ride",,

Sadly, I think I was following fairly well, my carbs were over 20 but I was in ketosis. My diary has always been open. If you look anytime before 2/14/14 maybe you can tell me what may have stalled me. I haven't been eating fruit or nuts while on Atkins so I'm not sure why someone said that while addressing me but I'm sure it's helpful for some people to read. EDITED to add, before my stall I had one bite (not slice) of gluten free banana bread I made for my hubby. I logged it. Last week I was logging about my stall and I hadn't cheated but was growing tired of this and added nuts that were counted out pretty much debating on whether I should continue with the Atkins or not but I had been doing high fat, not veggies and following old school (above 20 but still in ketosis). That was before my going off it this weekend but for my long stall, no I didn't eat fruits or nuts :) but I see where you got that now.
  • PrelyHernandez
    Options
    Hey Everyone! I started Atkins last Friday and so far I am doing good. I have never done a low carb diet before. I lost 40lbs, but it took me almost a year. I kept falling off my plan because the cravings never got better. I am looking forward to getting this weight off faster
    .27662217.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools