Breathing during deadlifts and squats

Hi ladies, I posted this on the main fitness forum but it didn't get and replies and has been lost to the 3rd page or something already! Hopefully I'll have more success here...

I've been 'lifting heavy' consistently for about 6 weeks now, and have got to the point where my lack of knowledge of proper breathing technique is messing with my squats and deadlifts. At the moment I seem to hold my breath too much, this is making me light headed and I'm worried eventually give myself a hernia.

So, how do YOU breathe when you squat and deadlift?

All opinions appreciated!

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Squat:

Unrack and get feet in position. Take a breath into the belly and squat, release breath when I'm back upright before taking another breath for the next rep.

Deadlift:

Get my feet in position then take a breath, drop my bum down in position and pull the bar up. If I'm going for touch and go reps then I will let the breath out at the top and take a quick breath in at the bottom and go again. If I'm resetting grip and position then as my normal set up for 1 rep
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Squat:

Unrack and get feet in position. Take a breath into the belly and squat, release breath when I'm back upright before taking another breath for the next rep.

Deadlift:

Get my feet in position then take a breath, drop my bum down in position and pull the bar up. If I'm going for touch and go reps then I will let the breath out at the top and take a quick breath in at the bottom and go again. If I'm resetting grip and position then as my normal set up for 1 rep

This is what I do, too.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Squat:

Deadlift:

This is what I do, too.

Me three. Except sometimes I do a few reps without breathing on squats.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Overhead press breathe at the top half way through the first rep, then take that as your starting point for the rest of the set. Better bounce off the bottom more like a bench press.

Same with bench, but do as many reps as you can on one breath!
    Google valsalva maneuver which is what this is called :-)
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Squat:

Deadlift:

This is what I do, too.

Me three. Except sometimes I do a few reps without breathing on squats.

lol I do the hold breath for multiple reps when doing speed squats or deads ;) makes you go faster
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    I do the same as everyone for the squat. I even take a deep breath and hold while unracking the bar to keep the core tight. Get set, deep breath, go down and don't let it out until I'm at least half way up and past the point where I would still risk the core collapsing into a good morning.

Deads, I set up a little different than others for the first rep. I typically approach the bar and fold over to grip first and once I have my shoulders set I take a deep breath and sit back and start the pull. I typically exhale on the way just over half way up.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I do the same as everyone for the squat. I even take a deep breath and hold while unracking the bar to keep the core tight. Get set, deep breath, go down and don't let it out until I'm at least half way up and past the point where I would still risk the core collapsing into a good morning.

Deads, I set up a little different than others for the first rep. I typically approach the bar and fold over to grip first and once I have my shoulders set I take a deep breath and sit back and start the pull. I typically exhale on the way just over half way up.

ditto on this.

I have let all my breath out for my squats as I get to a standing position. I typically am at the end of my breath out just as I straighten my legs.

Same with my DL's I start halfway up with the breath out and at standing it's out.
  • cece_lily
    cece_lily Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks all, your input was really helpful - I tried breathing like you all suggested yesterday and it was much better, felt a lot less like I was going to pass out!