Reset after binge eating and restriction

Options
Hi, can you confirm whether a reset is a good idea after a very prolonged period of restricting and binge eating?

Replies

• sarahorange55
    Options
    in a word - yes

from what I know - and I am new at this - your body has forced itself into a low TDEE because of your previous diet so you need to eat your "supposed" TDEE for anywhere between 8-10wks until you gain nor lose in that time. then you can start the "cut" or deficit from that TDEE

does that help?
  • MoglieUK
    Options
    in a word - yes

from what I know - and I am new at this - your body has forced itself into a low TDEE because of your previous diet so you need to eat your "supposed" TDEE for anywhere between 8-10wks until you gain nor lose in that time. then you can start the "cut" or deficit from that TDEE

does that help?

It does, thank you Sarah... I'm very scared of eating my TDEE, but that is the ED part of me, so I just need to bite the bullet on this... I don't want to keep going on this horrible cycle of binge and restriction. I'm 45 now and have been doing this since my early 20's!
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Eating mindfully is something of a constant journey, in which all of us slip up now and then, particularly in this diet-crazed culture! Just remember you're not alone and if it's feeling too much there is no shame in seeking professional support :)

Also, this book was really helpful for me and my emotional eating, perhaps it could be helpful for you? http://www.amazon.com/End-Emotional-Eating-Dialectical-Relationship/dp/1608821218

Either way, I think eating at TDEE for a little while is good. You may gain weight on the scale. You may not. You may realize that what you gain is not as much as you thought, and you may realize that what you gain is not as important as you thought, that there is more to health than the scale. It's a hard lesson, but I think most body's are better for it every once in a while :)
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Eating consistently at TDEE is a great idea - your body will eventually learn to trust that your intake will be consistent and your weight will stabilize. Also, you will probably find that after eating at TDEE for a while, those urges to binge will gradually fade away. Since you will not be starving your body, it will not be constantly craving things that you have labeled as off-limits.

If you are worried about seeing a gain on the scale, just take it slow working your way up to TDEE - that my minimize that initial jump on the scale (and you may feel more comfortable and less bloated..)
  • sarahorange55
    Options
    It does, thank you Sarah... I'm very scared of eating my TDEE, but that is the ED part of me, so I just need to bite the bullet on this... I don't want to keep going on this horrible cycle of binge and restriction. I'm 45 now and have been doing this since my early 20's!

I was also terrified but the first week of eating at 1600 - I lost 1lb!!!!

this week I ate at 1900 - but didn't track so probably higher - and put on 1lb (but TOM so usually +3lb) 1925 is my TDEE at present (zero exercise) so will stay here for a week or so longer and see how it goes

Happy if you want to friend up and help each other out as you are only a week or so after me? As yes been like this since mid-20's and 41 soon! Fed up of yo-yo'ing too!

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    in a word - yes

does that help?

My own experience: don't be afraid of eating your TDEE, the benefits you gain are way worth any temporary gain you get.
  • MoglieUK
    Options
    Thanks for the support, I've just done the Scooby calculator thing and my TDEE is 2416 - that is such a lot of calories. But then again when I restrict I go for 1200 and when I binge 1,000's and 1,000's of cals.

I put such pressure on myself to lose the weight - 3 years I was 140 pounds then my mum got ill and I'm now 185.... I keep telling myself I'm killing myself with food and I know how to exercise, I was in the military, I was a runner, I was fit... now I'm a physical wreck.... OH GOD!
  • MoglieUK
    Options
    Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll check it out.
  • Pintado
    Pintado Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump! I have been wondering the same thing re: restriction and binge eating and after a few days of eating at TDEE, I already feel less obsessive about food. In fact, I've been surprised at how little I care about where my next meal is coming from! Such a change from a week ago, when I had three solid days of bingeing and feeling really out of control.