Had my consult with an RE yesterday

Options
My hubby and I have been TTC for quite some time now with no luck. My periods are waaaay out of whack ( I didn't get one for 2 years, then had a 32 day cycle for 6 months and then it stopped) So my Gyno recommended to go see an RE to manage my PCOS. So yesterday we took the leap and saw an RE. It was not what I was expecting. I was expecting him to send me for bloodwork and maybe prescribe me metformin. That is not what occured. He sat down and explained how PCOS and the reproductive cycle worked, gave me a transvag ultrasound. Prescribed me provera and gave me a script for blood work on day 3 of my cycle. After my cycle I am supposed to go for an HSG and I am bit scared of that. While all this is awesome to be on the road to figure out why we are having such problems, I am confused. Nothing was brought up about my weight. The appointment happened so quickly but my husband seems to understand pcos a little better now that someone else explained it to him..

I know there isn't much of a question here but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on my concern about the weight thing? I am currently 308 lbs and trying desperately to lose weight. Eating well and balanced, and starting to get into exercise.

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Well, my guess would be since you are getting blood work, he is trying to determine whether or not you are insulin resistant and what medication he prescribes will depend on that. Metformin really only helps if you are insulin resistant.
  • powellfam2006
    powellfam2006 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have been TTC for quite some time now with no luck. My periods are waaaay out of whack ( I didn't get one for 2 years, then had a 32 day cycle for 6 months and then it stopped) So my Gyno recommended to go see an RE to manage my PCOS. So yesterday we took the leap and saw an RE. It was not what I was expecting. I was expecting him to send me for bloodwork and maybe prescribe me metformin. That is not what occured. He sat down and explained how PCOS and the reproductive cycle worked, gave me a transvag ultrasound. Prescribed me provera and gave me a script for blood work on day 3 of my cycle. After my cycle I am supposed to go for an HSG and I am bit scared of that. While all this is awesome to be on the road to figure out why we are having such problems, I am confused. Nothing was brought up about my weight. The appointment happened so quickly but my husband seems to understand pcos a little better now that someone else explained it to him..

I know there isn't much of a question here but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on my concern about the weight thing? I am currently 308 lbs and trying desperately to lose weight. Eating well and balanced, and starting to get into exercise.

The only way I was able to get off any weight is to cut sugar out of my diet and watch my carbs. Lots of protein. It's hard but it works. I have lost 25lbs since January.. and 39 total. PCOS is just awful.. I hate it.. I can gain 10 lbs in 2 days, and it takes me 2 months to lose it. You have to be very strict with your diet to get it off. It's a double edged sword for us. I went to an endocrinologist and they wanted me to go to a pre-diabetes clinic, pretty much said if I don't get the weight off that's where I will end up even tho I have no signs of it, other then my weight. I am on metformin, I have been on for years, and it's a high dose, and it has not ever helped me with fertility or making my periods normal. But some people swear by it. So I think you just need to find out what works for you and go with it :) Good Luck!
  • ashhleelynne
    Options
    Thank you for your input! I just feel so lost and confused right now. I wish I could just fast forward already haha.
  • mrsgettingitrightthistime
    Options
    Just so you know, the hsg test may seem scary, but just take a pain killer and relax. It's only about 10-15minutes of a procedure. I read alot of post before I went and was super nervous. Some women are so dramatic. Just relax
  • powellfam2006
    powellfam2006 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, the hsg test may seem scary, but just take a pain killer and relax. It's only about 10-15minutes of a procedure. I read alot of post before I went and was super nervous. Some women are so dramatic. Just relax

what is a HSG Test???
    Options
    A test that your re should have you take when you are ttc and have issues with PCOS. They stick a small tube inside the v, to look inside your ovaries to see if it's blocked. They also release a dye, to see if it's blocked. The dye is what is irritating, but no major pain.
  • ashhleelynne
    Options
    Thank you so much for telling me about the HSG. I have been so terrified after reading some of the stories these ladies have been posting. I have an extremely high tolerance for pain, but I will take some tylenol before I go. Thanks again <3
    Options
    You may need a little bit higher dose than regular Tylenol. I have a high tolerance for pain also, but it may be uncomfortable. But good luck.
  • mrspierson
    mrspierson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and just had an HSG done last month. I also have a pretty high tolerance for pain. It was uncomfortable, and it did feel like I had pretty bad cramps. Something weird, too, was that my lower back had low-grade pain for a day or two. Hopefully you'll get an x-ray table with stirrups. That would have made things a lot easier for me, I think.

Anyway, one side was clear for me, and the other side was not easy to tell right off the bat, but after a week or so my Dr. got a closer look and said in my chart that there was "leakage" (aka the fluid going through the tube from the uterus out) on the side that wasn't so easy to see initially. I will hope for equal or even better results for you!

I'm using an app called Glow to measure my BBT and all the info about cycle days. I haven't had anything going on down there since the beginning of January (right before my HSG), so who knows! My cycles have always been so irregular that anything could be happening.

Time to get serious about exercising and eating better.
  • kamuas
    kamuas Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey.... I'm in a similar boat to you. Just was diagnosed officially with PCOS (although I suspected for some time now).

As much as it sucks, I definitely think we need to lose weight. The excess weight messes up your hormones even more than PCOS does on it's own. PCOS causes an increase in estrogen and a deficiency in progesterone, and excess fat raises estrogen levels even more. They say even losing 10% of your weight can lead to big changes.

Carbs and sugar are also a big culprit in PCOS treatment from what I've read. Since PCOS has so much to do with insulin and blood sugar levels, limiting carb intake to whole grain/ complex carbs and limiting your sugar intake should help to level off blood sugar levels and help your body get back on track.

I'm just reading a few different books and doing tons of research online. Enough is enough for me. I just turned 30 and I desperately want to turn my life around and feel like I'm headed in the right direction!!!!