Intimidated to lift weights at the gym

Options
Nicole9187
Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
So I've been going to the gym for a little over two months now and doing steady state cardio, but I know I need to add in strength training, however I feel completely lost and intimidated by being in that area of the gym. It's not that I think everyone is so buff and I do not belong in that area but I feel like I'm going to lift wrong or maybe use the equipment incorrectly.

Any advice on how to overcome this hurdle?

Replies

• verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    If its a good gym, they will have a program where you can sign up for a tour about the equipment and how to use it. It may even be a class. If they charge, It is well worth the money and time to do that so that you are over your fears and also know the proper way to use the machines and free weights. When I was at the Y, we had one for women only and it was awesome. She covered everything from machines to free weights, at the gym and at home.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Siging up for a one time session or "test" session with a trainer who can show you the moves is a great option. If you're doing it on your own, just put your most kickass music on, blast it through your headphones and walk in like you own the place. Do your research. Watch videos on how to perform the lifts you're going to try, and start out with bodyweight / light dumbbells. You can work to heavier dumbbells / the barbell as you feel comfortable. Make a plan and then follow it.

It's hard, I know. When I started lifting I stood as close to the door to the lifting area as possible with my dumbbells :P It gets so much easier though!! Now I hang out and eye the dude curling or doing rows with the barbell in the squat rack until he moves. haha.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I love this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Health-Big-Book-Exercises-ebook/dp/B008ET9FKK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392227927&sr=1-1&keywords=womens+health

also once you decide on a workout you can google the moves. Or go to bobybuilders.com. He has proper form videos.

I have had bad experiences with trainers. They all seem to have their own agenda. You need to ask a lot of questions to find a good one.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. At most gyms, only about 10% of the people lifting really know what they are doing or why they are doing it. But they try their best to APPEAR like they know what they are doing and why they are doing it.

Create a program with a help of a trainer, learn how to do the lifts correctly, train hard and don't worry about anyone else. In 8-10 weeks, re-evaluate your progress and consider a new program. Repeat and profit.
  • Link2Life
    Link2Life Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. At most gyms, only about 10% of the people lifting really know what they are doing or why they are doing it. But they try their best to APPEAR like they know what they are doing and why they are doing it.

Create a program with a help of a trainer, learn how to do the lifts correctly, train hard and don't worry about anyone else. In 8-10 weeks, re-evaluate your progress and consider a new program. Repeat and profit.

I feel exactly the same as the OP and I appreciate your advice. Basically you fake it til you make it, right?

I think I'm going to fork over the dough for a few personal trainer sessions (which is a whole new kind of anxiety).
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I noticed this recently. I see a few women working out alone. Hell they don't even talk to other women. I understand that some just want to do what they do and not be bothered. But to me, I like the interaction with some other fellow lifters/gym people. Makes working our more fun and/or bearable.

There doesn't seem to be much motivation either. ie... they do the same thing day after day (or at least when I see them. I doubt they have improved much in the time span they've been working out. Perhaps they are in maintenance mode but honestly, I know very few in that mode
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice! I did start watching some videos on youtube last night and it definitely helped. I just need to do it!! It will benefit me in the long run.

I bet the gym does offer some sort of guidance on the machines/weights and I will most certainly look into that!! :smile:
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

I feel exactly the same as the OP and I appreciate your advice. Basically you fake it til you make it, right?

I think I'm going to fork over the dough for a few personal trainer sessions (which is a whole new kind of anxiety).

I think your smart to get a trainer to help get you started. They will help your form, help you with your routine, you will feel way more confident. You shouldn't feel an anxiety at all, especially if you dont know anything, the good trainers will be thankful you dont have any bad habits
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    When ya walk into the weight room, walk in and get down to business. Watch your form, pay attention to your safety, keep your elbows tight. You got this :):wink:
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I noticed this recently. I see a few women working out alone. Hell they don't even talk to other women. I understand that some just want to do what they do and not be bothered. But to me, I like the interaction with some other fellow lifters/gym people. Makes working our more fun and/or bearable.

Haha thats me… but more because I'm generally antisocial and I really dislike getting hit on by creepers at the gym. >_> That said a couple of people have initiated convo with me / helped me with my form, and I'm always grateful for that from someone who knows what they're doing. (Fortunately they did.) I'll smile and say hi when I see people I know, but to me getting involved in conversation just drags the time out, and when I'm trying to fit in 5+ sets of squats or deadlifts and accessory lifts, I'm barely even waiting a minute between sets because I'm impatient… unless I get to the really heavy sets, then sometimes I need more than a minute. I do the same things a lot, but heck i'm trying to up my lifts here. :P
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I watched a lot of form videos and picked a simple program to follow (strong lifts). Then, I chose a time when I thought the gym wouldn't be crowded. My first day lifting was as soon as the gym opened on a Sunday (assuming most people would be hung over or at church :laugh:). I made it through the first day. I went back at 5am during the week, again so that it's not crowded. That was a year ago, and I now have no issues going into the weight section. (However, I have not branched out into other exercises, and I do think I'd feel kind of odd doing things like hip thrusts and stuff.)

I still go in the early mornings, but more because there's only one squat rack and I want to fight with as few people as possible. People will watch me lift sometimes. I watch them lift while I rest between sets. If they are doing something stupid (like quarter squats) I really try to not make faces, but I suck at poker... I have my head phones in an really only talk to people to ask if they are done with something. It's no big deal, and I'm one of the regulars now. I may not be buff, but at least I know I have good form and I can move some weights around.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I get some strange looks doing hip thrusts with 275-315lbs on the bar. I just say "how you doin'?"
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Siging up for a one time session or "test" session with a trainer who can show you the moves is a great option. If you're doing it on your own, just put your most kickass music on, blast it through your headphones and walk in like you own the place. Do your research. Watch videos on how to perform the lifts you're going to try, and start out with bodyweight / light dumbbells. You can work to heavier dumbbells / the barbell as you feel comfortable. Make a plan and then follow it.

It's hard, I know. When I started lifting I stood as close to the door to the lifting area as possible with my dumbbells :P It gets so much easier though!! Now I hang out and eye the dude curling or doing rows with the barbell in the squat rack until he moves. haha.

Exactly what I was going to say. Lifting can be intimidating, especially when you are new. I trained for a few sessions with a trainer, which is what got me more comfortable with weight lifting around other people. But there are so many websites, like Bodybuilder.com, or Fitness RX for women, or Muscle and Fitness Hers that have great workout, and then you can YouTube anything you don't know how to do. Make your commitment, and don't talk yourself out of it once you get there! I always think it's awesome when I see new people lifting. So keep your mental voice in check - more than likely no one is even watching you, or thinking rude thoughts. Keep your positive thoughts going. Keep saying "I can do this" and "I'm so awesome for doing this for myself." getting a kickass pair of tennis shoes might help too :)
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, a session with a personal trainer to have them show you the ropes is a great idea.

I school myself constantly by watching videos on youtube and bodybuilding.com and reading tons. I started by reading "New Rules of Lifting for women" and it's a great place to start, and it has a great full body lifting program laid out in it.

As for getting comfy on the weight floor, that just takes time. I tote headphones and keep them in (I'm one of those anti-social people at the gym, I just want to do what I came there to do, but that's just me), and try to go during off peak hours since the weight floor at my gym is PACKED very tightly and there's not a lot of floor space. People do watch each other, but you get used to it, especially as you become more comfortable with it. I was super intimidated at first, but now I love lifting!
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I found it helps to go in with a plan. . It gave me confidence to know I had my workout set out for me...
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,755 Member
    Options
    Bumping to find again.

I am in the same place the OP is. Good ideas in here.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I love this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Health-Big-Book-Exercises-ebook/dp/B008ET9FKK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392227927&sr=1-1&keywords=womens+health

also once you decide on a workout you can google the moves. Or go to bobybuilders.com. He has proper form videos.

I have had bad experiences with trainers. They all seem to have their own agenda. You need to ask a lot of questions to find a good one.

^^That's been my experience, too. I've been through 3, and they all think I should be doing something different. At least, the last one would train me on compound lifts, though!!!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

There doesn't seem to be much motivation either. ie... they do the same thing day after day (or at least when I see them. I doubt they have improved much in the time span they've been working out. Perhaps they are in maintenance mode but honestly, I know very few in that mode

I work out alone, but I freely talk to whoever I want. I rarely see other ladies in the free weights section. It's kind of nice, for me, because the guys seem impressed that I'm even there, so they're happy to offer advice, etc.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    OP, I started a couple of months, ago, and it wasn't that bad walking in.

1. I read through New Rules of Lifting for Women and Starting Strength (I prefer SS), I watched form videos, and I decided to do a simple 5x5 program (Strong Lifts 5x5) to start, so I only needed to try 3 exercises.

2. I went late at night (around 9 p.m.), which is when I would normally be working out, and there was hardly anyone there. That helped!

3. I went up to the front desk, and asked a staff member, "If I would like to do squats, deadlifts, and overhead presses, where would I do that and what equipment would I use?" From there, the guy was really happy to show me around the gym, offer tips, and help me with basic form (even though, he didn't really know what he was talking about. Lol!)

4. I started at very low weights...for bench and overhead presses, I started with the standard bars. For squats, I started with the Olympic bar alone.

5. I did not concern myself what others thought, because I was/am attempting to learn a new skill, which takes practice. I focused solely on form and went from there.

I have only met nice people in the free weights section. They're happy to help, and they enjoy chatting with you about lifting. It's really fun in the weights section, imo.

Anyway, there's also this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169757-i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym

Lots of good advice on that thread. Good luck!!!
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    OP, I started a couple of months, ago, and it wasn't that bad walking in.

1. I read through New Rules of Lifting for Women and Starting Strength (I prefer SS), I watched form videos, and I decided to do a simple 5x5 program (Strong Lifts 5x5) to start, so I only needed to try 3 exercises.

2. I went late at night (around 9 p.m.), which is when I would normally be working out, and there was hardly anyone there. That helped!

3. I went up to the front desk, and asked a staff member, "If I would like to do squats, deadlifts, and overhead presses, where would I do that and what equipment would I use?" From there, the guy was really happy to show me around the gym, offer tips, and help me with basic form (even though, he didn't really know what he was talking about. Lol!)

4. I started at very low weights...for bench and overhead presses, I started with the standard bars. For squats, I started with the Olympic bar alone.

5. I did not concern myself what others thought, because I was/am attempting to learn a new skill, which takes practice. I focused solely on form and went from there.

I have only met nice people in the free weights section. They're happy to help, and they enjoy chatting with you about lifting. It's really fun in the weights section, imo.

Anyway, there's also this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169757-i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym

Lots of good advice on that thread. Good luck!!!

This is basically a blueprint of what to do. Nice post!