Whey protein before a workout?

Options
"Pre-Workout protein consumption should play a more important role if your looking to maximally stimulate anabolism. Long story short, drink around 20g Whey Protein or supplementing with EAA's pre workout, maybe more beneficial than supplementing the same thing post workout."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16896166
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11440894

(via Gordon Greenhorn on Facebook)
https://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=270482226418137&id=196452697162191

I was wondering if anyone has either tried consuming whey protein alone or in a pre-workout prior just prior to lifting, or is currently doing it?

Replies

• jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I don't have a link behind my justification right now, but here is what I try to do (based on some peer reviewed studies I've stumbled across):

- Either a whole food protein 1 hour prior to workout or a quick acting (whey) 30 minutes before workout
    - BCAAs during workout
    - Whey 15 minutes after workout, followed by a whole food (fish) protein 1 hour after that

I've also tossed around the idea of an insulin spike post workout. While I've read this won't help with protein synthesis, it may help decrease protein breakdown and be of overall help with those encountering difficulty gaining weight. It's also an excuse to eat sugary crap.

Edit: I am far far from an expert here, so it is quite likely I am spouting nonsense.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. The only thing you wrote that I feel somewhat knowledgeable on is the BCAAs during workout. Awhile back, someone posted some links to studies that seem to suggest that if you have a high protein diet (for example, 1.25g of Protein per lbs. of bodyweight) than you're likely to be saturated with BCAAs, so that the supplement won't have an effect. I'll see if I can dig them up sometime in the next couple days.

I typically will have some protein a few hours before my workout, carbs right before, and protein again immediately afterwards. I thought protein just prior to a workout might make me feel bloated or a little lethargic. I may have to try it and see.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    More extensive review of the available research: http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-5.pdf
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. The only thing you wrote that I feel somewhat knowledgeable on is the BCAAs during workout. Awhile back, someone posted some links to studies that seem to suggest that if you have a high protein diet (for example, 1.25g of Protein per lbs. of bodyweight) than you're likely to be saturated with BCAAs, so that the supplement won't have an effect. I'll see if I can dig them up sometime in the next couple days.

I typically will have some protein a few hours before my workout, carbs right before, and protein again immediately afterwards. I thought protein just prior to a workout might make me feel bloated or a little lethargic. I may have to try it and see.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I also do carbs 60-90 minutes before the workout. Honestly, though, I'm shoving food in my mouth all day anyway. :)
  • silentnemesis
    silentnemesis Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    that's been popping up a lot lately, I'll give it a shot but it goes against what I've previously thought...

used to believe that protein/food pre-workout is counter intuitive because your blood goes into your stomach to help digest that food while you're lifting, whereas normally it would rather go to your muscles-- could be broscience but I'll try 20g hydrolyzed protein pre-workout with 40g carbs pre as well and report back any significant strength gains or overall better workouts!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    that's been popping up a lot lately, I'll give it a shot but it goes against what I've previously thought...

used to believe that protein/food pre-workout is counter intuitive because your blood goes into your stomach to help digest that food while you're lifting, whereas normally it would rather go to your muscles-- could be broscience but I'll try 20g hydrolyzed protein pre-workout with 40g carbs pre as well and report back any significant strength gains or overall better workouts!

I eagerly await the results of your n=1 study.
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I dont believe that you need protein preworkout. But dextrose post workout does help shuttle nutrients, and the insulin spike is anabolic. If you workout fasted, then do not spike your insulin until at least an hour post workout for a variety of reasons, but largely the release of growth hormone GH.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I dont believe that you need protein preworkout. But dextrose post workout does help shuttle nutrients, and the insulin spike is anabolic. If you workout fasted, then do not spike your insulin until at least an hour post workout for a variety of reasons, but largely the release of growth hormone GH.

trying to manipulate growth hormone levels through meal timing is pointless.

http://broscience.com/broscience-com-approved-articles/561-growth-hormone-great-expectations.html
  • johnwhitman
    johnwhitman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to eat prior to working out, but find my best workouts are on an empty stomach, somewhat fasted. I don't like feeling "full" while pushing the weights. I may take in some BCAA's but that would be about it.
  • AestheticMike
    Options
    Hi, I just recently posted an article on my website about protein. I DEFINITELY consume some source of protein before a workout, and immediately after (usually a scoop of whey just because it's easy). The article is a look at the peer-reviewed literature as far as benefits and timing of intake, so I hope it helps. If you'd like to read the article, check it out here:

http://ironcookclean.com/protein-in-your-diet-how-much-is-too-much-how-much-is-enough-where-should-it-come-from-metabolism-and-macronutrients-part-3/

Overall, there is a lot of misinformation circulating the fitness community about protein, so it can be a difficult topic. Ultimately, it's worth knowing what the evidence supports, but it also matters most what you tolerate well and respond to individually. I do great taking protein preworkout (along with some carbs), but if it bothers your stomach or makes you nauseous to eat too soon before you lift, I'd extend it out a bit and give it more time. If anyone does check out the article, let me know what you think (and please friend me on MFP!). Thanks!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Ummm, care to clarify?

"Amino acid uptake was not significantly different between PRE and POST when calculated from the beginning of exercise"

So no, it doesn't matter. At least the first link, not interested enough today after that.