Anyone can tell me effects on large men?

Options
I want to try the program, but how will I fare being 300 lbs? Will I be able to run a full 5k in 9 weeks like it suggests?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    There have been some larger men and at least one woman who was close to that weight when they started. Honestly, it could take you longer than 9 weeks, as you might want to repeat some days/weeks. You will still be able to run a 5k at the end of it.

Can you walk for 30 minutes right now?
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I can definitely answer your question. I started my journey at 310. I wasn't able to run for 30 seconds. I should mention that walking was never a problem for me. Originally I thought I would just walk until I lost 30-40 pounds. I started walking 3-4 times a week between 2.5 and 3.5 miles. I walked fast and I definitely felt it. After doing this for 2-3 weeks, I tried running a bit. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to run for 30 seconds at a time 4 or 5 times throughout my walk. Over the next few weeks I increased that to 1 minute at a time for about 6 times. That's when I started thinking about C25K. I'll admin I was nervous to start. I really did not think I would be able to complete it. I figured I'll start and see where it goes.

I ended up skipping weeks 2 - 4 and really enjoyed the rest of it. Was I running 5K when I finished? No. But I was running for 30 minutes consecutively. It took another couple of weeks to get to the 5K mark.

These days I average 3.5 to 5 miles every day with my max being 5.5 miles. I enjoy it and a little addicted to it.

Feel free to friend me and DM me if you have any specific questions.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You may need to adjust the program but, yes, you'll be able to run 30 minutes by the time you finish it. It'll take a bit longer to actually run 5K. Not many can do that by the end of the program but we could run 30 minutes and that's a big accomplishment.

Can you walk 30 minutes now? If not, perhaps do the program as a walking program for a few weeks (or completely). Walk a normal pace during the "walk" portions and a faster pace during the "run" portions.

If you can already walk 30 minutes, start the program. Run slow. As slow as you can. Just make it through the day's training session. You may need to repeat a few days or a week here and again but you will be able to do this.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Honestly I don't know. I haven't tried. I'm a true couch potato. I think I could do a slow pace walk. I saw it begins with a 30 second jog with a 90 second walk , for 20 minutes total. I think that is possible.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You may not be at a 5K distance if you complete the program. A lot of people (myself included) could RUN for 30 without stopping by the time they finished, but not everyone can run fast enough to get to a 5K distance.
    I've done C25K twice (first exclusively on the treadmill (no incline), then again, but outside. That was a few months ago and I still can't run fast "enough" to compete it in 30 minutes, but that's OK... I can run up to 4 miles outside, though!

Just remember: You can repeat days and entire weeks of the program if you need to! And always go slower than you think you can. Good luck to you :-) And get properly fitted shoes from a running store.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    Options
    When you say "run 30 minutes".. do you mean jog continuous, run continuous, or walk/jog/run but finish?
  • dauvis
    dauvis Posts: 57
    Options
    I am currently around 350 and I am in week 9. I was about 370 when I started. I have not had a need to repeat any of the weeks (of course, YMMV). I kept everything slow as the point of the program is to build up stamina.

A couple things I would like to note however. I preceded starting c25k by building up to being able to walk 10k steps per day. I was walking 10k steps per day and was walking 5k at least once per week when I started. Also, I am slow. My running pace is slightly faster than my walking. Even though I am almost done with the program, I have more work to do. At my pace, I'm looking at 50-60 minutes to complete a 5k.

Hope this helps.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    At the end of the program you will be able to run continuously for 30 minutes. It took me 40 minutes to run a 5k after the C25k program. Other c25kers have taken an hour. But they've been able to maintain a run the whole way.

Technically, there is no such thing as "jogging." You can run slow. You can run slower than you can walk. But jogging is a term that was popularized in the '60s by Lydiard and has no standard definition.

You might want to read this post before starting the program:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976388-what-to-do-before-you-start
  • likitisplit
    Options

Honestly I don't know. I haven't tried. I'm a true couch potato. I think I could do a slow pace walk. I saw it begins with a 30 second jog with a 90 second walk , for 20 minutes total. I think that is possible.

If you can do that, you can do the program.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys. I feel motivated to move forward with this soon.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That's what we are here for.

Just to let you know: I was 215 when I started last year. EVERYTHING jiggled and sloshed and bounced when I started moving. I was so ASHAMED to put that out in the street. I had all sorts of negative self-thoughts like "My neighbors will think that I'm going to do this for two weeks and then quit." or "They are laughing at me behind their curtains."

Instead, my neighbors were encouraging - one would cheer as I lumbered by. They described me as "inspirational." The only person who was negative about my goals was...me. I NEVER thought I would even be able to complete the C25k program. I started it expecting to fail. I am the polar opposite of a "runner."

The very hardest day of the program was Day One. And the hardest part of day one was tying my shoes. Don't put it off.

For me...it's a year later. I run three days a week. I've run a half marathon. I actually (and I still can't believe it because I'm not that fast) placed third in my age group during a trail race last Saturday. I'm 175 pounds that is steadily becoming firmer and stronger.

I would have achieved none of that if the me of a year ago had never gotten around to opening my front door. What will the you of 2015 thank you for doing today?
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program at 305 lbs. I am down to 260 now. It took me about 14 weeks to finish the program due to shin splints that I let heal and then I repeated the previous week so it took me a little longer. At the end of the program I could run 30 minutes but only 2.5 miles. It took another 4 weeks to get to 3.1 miles(5k) in about 38 minutes running 3 times a week. I now am running 5k in 33-34 minutes. I also have started running a 10k training program while also trying to improve my 5k time so I am pretty much running every day.
    I do have a few suggestions that might help you. First, and I consider this the most important aspect of starting to run is get a run analysis done and get fitted for the correct shoes. I can not stress enough the importance of having the correct shoes.I suffered through two occasions of terrible shin splints before I finally went and got this done. I have had zero issues since.
    Second would be to run slow. Speed and distance will come in time. Going too fast or too hard too soon will only result in injury, especially with us bigger guys.