Spaghetti Squash

Options
I've tried to roast a SS several times now and I really like the way it tastes, but it always comes out crunchy, and I'm not a huge fan of that crunch. Is is supposed to be crunchy, or an I not roasting long enough, too high a temp?

Replies

• forbenjamin2014
    forbenjamin2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do you add olive oil when roasting it? And put it face down in the oven? Sometimes mine comes out crunchy when ive not roasted it long enough.
  • Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/baked-spaghetti-squash-and-cheese.html

Tried this recipe and it was amazing! Instructions called for baking @ 375 degrees for about 1 hour...squash came out nice and tender.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I cooked mine in the crockpot all day and it came out nice and soft.
  • nemrut
    nemrut Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I cook it in the microwave and it comes out great.
  • MelMojo
    Options
    If it's crunchy, just cook it a little more. I love SS!
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Try steaming it instead. I've found that putting it in the oven makes it a little firmer, but steaming it makes it come out softer. I personally prefer it harder, though.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Try roasting it whole. Instead of splitting it, just poke holes in both sides. Roast it at 375 on one side for ~35 minutes, flip it and roast for another 30 minutes. Let it cool a bit and then split it, scoop out the seeds and pull out the flesh with a fork. Comes out perfect everytime!
  • HeatherBrookmyer
    HeatherBrookmyer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think that I'm not cooking it long enough, and I was roasting face up, which may have also been a problem:) I'll try again, I really do love it, it's so versatile!