Anyone familiar with food allergies causing anger?

Options

Replies

• EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Although not completely related but low blood sugars aka hypoglycemia can cause anger, irritability, and aggressiveness without the person realizing something is wrong. I know this because I am diabetic. However, you don't have to be diabetic to suffer from hypoglycemia attacks. And in the same way, high blood sugars aka hyperglycemia can cause symptoms as if the person was drunk. Yes we have choices but sometimes the chemical makeup in our bodies can dictate our moods.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Although not completely related but low blood sugars aka hypoglycemia can cause anger, irritability, and aggressiveness without the person realizing something is wrong. I know this because I am diabetic. However, you don't have to be diabetic to suffer from hypoglycemia attacks. And in the same way, high blood sugars aka hyperglycemia can cause symptoms as if the person was drunk. Yes we have choices but sometimes the chemical makeup in our bodies can dictate our moods.

Yep, familiar with the glucose extremes and their symptoms. Unfortunately, most of both our families are diabetic. :frown:

This was different, though, in that it lasted for two or three days, and through several more meals. He described it to me that it felt like "I could sit here, doing nothing at all, and feel the anger swell up inside me to the point that I want to throw something through a wall." It was a very bizarre experience.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I'm also a diabetic and pre Paleo my Dr. who preached the SAD would suggest sugar free foods. Little did I know SF foods were riddled with aspartame, which caused rage, irritability, extreme itching and almost ruined my marriage. My husband actually figured it out so we put it to the test and yep, that was the culprit! That is when I steered clear from processed chemicals and found Paleo. We no longer take pharmaceuticals and heal our inner and outer bodies with roots and herbs, which treats every ailment.
    Because the pizza was purchased at a restaurant, who knows what unfavorable ingredients were added in.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    We have been scd gaps for 18 months for my sons anxiety and ocd
    It is a miracle he has a normal life now. The experts in psychology all know now there is a link between mind and gut. I don't need to wait for science to prove it my son gives us hugs now. This stuff is as real as it gets folks.
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    When my ds was little he would cry and bang his head on the floor (resembling someone with autism) every time he had dairy or eggs. We thought it was a strange coincidence at first :/
  • EverythingNicki
    Options
    I have a son who has a high intolerance of wheat gluten that suffers from depression and mood swings when he eats gluten. I did read some articles about celiacs and this type of reaction when eating gluten and had him tested. Thankfully, he is negative for celiacs but still has similar reactions. I read that there is an amino acid, L-glutemate, that can get into your blood stream from the intestines and then cross the blood-brain barrier and cause the anger and depression issues. Hope that helps.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Food does not cause rage.

At most, a sugary food would cause slight irritability due to sugar spike and drop.

Serotonin is a neurochemical. It is not produced in the stomach. It's produced and released in the brain.

I think your husband needs to see a therapist, because since you've said he gets so angry he wants to punch a wall, that is dangerous behavior. What if the target becomes you?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

At most, a sugary food would cause slight irritability due to sugar spike and drop.

Serotonin is a neurochemical. It is not produced in the stomach. It's produced and released in the brain.

I think your husband needs to see a therapist, because since you've said he gets so angry he wants to punch a wall, that is dangerous behavior. What if the target becomes you?

For one, the only time that happened was after ingesting a certain food (and two days following, while the compound in question was still in his system). Once whatever was triggering it was out of his system, he was back to normal. Despite what you believe about food (which I've already addressed in a different response), this was very clearly triggered by something that got into his system.

Two, I'm fully capable of handling such a situation should the need ever arise.
  • RhineDHP
    Options

For one, the only time that happened was after ingesting a certain food (and two days following, while the compound in question was still in his system). Once whatever was triggering it was out of his system, he was back to normal. Despite what you believe about food (which I've already addressed in a different response), this was very clearly triggered by something that got into his system.

It does not take 3 days to digest a pizza. Or any food for that matter. The cause for his episodes of rage are something else entirely.

While I applaud that you can handle a situation of potential violence, I'm really worried for you. I'm not being snarky or mean -- I've had to deal with family members whose spouses had fits of rage...many times it didn't end well for them, not until they got help.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

It does not take 3 days to digest a pizza. Or any food for that matter. The cause for his episodes of rage are something else entirely.

While I applaud that you can handle a situation of potential violence, I'm really worried for you. I'm not being snarky or mean -- I've had to deal with family members whose spouses had fits of rage...many times it didn't end well for them, not until they got help.

When it comes to gluten (not saying it is, just using it as an example, because it's the most documented), even the quickest notice of symptom relief is generally at least 24 hours ( http://trulyglutenfree.co.uk/2011/03/09/how-long-to-get-gluten-out-of-the-body/ ), often with more following for days, weeks, and even months, depending on the nature of the symptoms. There's not only precedent, but 3 days isn't out of the realm of possibility. Also, the physiological state of stress slows and stops digestion, meaning it can take longer for a given foreign substance to enter the rest of the body. Reduced stomach acid and bile also means food takes longer to digest and isn't necessarily entirely digested. Given that my husband had his gallbladder removed several years ago, suffice it to say, he doesn't produce sufficient bile.

Also, the idea that what you ingest has no bearing on the rest of your body is ludicrous. If that were the case, oral medication would not exist, at all (because it wouldn't work). Nor would a ketogenic diet basically remove the chance of seizures in epileptics. And again, there are numerous neurological problems that have been linked to food intolerances ( http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-free-society-blog/gluten-in-the-diet-triggers-many-neurological-problems/ ). Precedent.

Finally, as someone who grew up with someone who actually was abusive, I know very well what the situation is like. This is not even remotely close (and there's also the fact that while he felt the desire, he in no way acted on it, making a huge difference in the situation as you're seeing it and the situation as it actually was). So, while I appreciate your concern, it's misplaced and you're barking up the wrong tree.

Oh, and fun fact - serotonin is, in fact, produced in/by the gut. 95% of it, to be precise.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

WRONG on so many levels.

To say nutrition (aka FOOD) does not affect the body is completely ridiculous. (The brain IS PART OF THE PHYSICAL BODY, though I do understand that health "professionals" seem to resist recognizing that fact.) For example, I supposedly had Binge Eating Disorder, severe bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, chronic anxiety, PTSD etc. However, when I stopped eating a grain/sugar based diet these health problems vanished (PTSD and anxiety did not completely vanish, but are now totally manageable), and very quickly. I spent years in therapy and was prescribed meds at times for these issues and nothing ever worked. Why? Because I was malnourished. The brain does very strange things when it is nutrient deficient. Considering our modern diet and that most of us are malnourished starting from before birth, I don't wonder at all why humans are having so many issues with brain health.

If you don't agree that food can affect the body (including the brain) why are you in the Paleo forum? Because the vast majority here are living proof that what we eat does affect us on a physical level (which includes the brain!).
  • RhineDHP
    Options

WRONG on so many levels.

To say nutrition (aka FOOD) does not affect the body is completely ridiculous. (The brain IS PART OF THE PHYSICAL BODY, though I do understand that health "professionals" seem to resist recognizing that fact.) For example, I supposedly had Binge Eating Disorder, severe bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, chronic anxiety, PTSD etc. However, when I stopped eating a grain/sugar based diet these health problems vanished (PTSD and anxiety did not completely vanish, but are now totally manageable), and very quickly. I spent years in therapy and was prescribed meds at times for these issues and nothing ever worked. Why? Because I was malnourished. The brain does very strange things when it is nutrient deficient. Considering our modern diet and that most of us are malnourished starting from before birth, I don't wonder at all why humans are having so many issues with brain health.

If you don't agree that food can affect the body (including the brain) why are you in the Paleo forum? Because the vast majority here are living proof that what we eat does affect us on a physical level (which includes the brain!).

I'm part of this group to get a bird's eye view of the lifestyle. I'm also part of a vegan group, mainly to get some recipes to incorporate more vegetables into my diet.

But according to yourself, my differing opinion automatically should have me ejected?

I do apologize for an earlier piece of misinformation though. I recognize that yes, serotonin is produced in both the brain and the GI tract (I was mistakenly confusing it with Oxytocin, my bad). I'm not above correcting any misinformation on my part.

For your personal post, I did not say that food didn't affect the physical body. It's pretty common sense that not eating nutrient dense foods would be unhealthy for a person in the long run. I merely said food does not cause rage. Rage is a rather extreme emotion, rather than just irritability (which I've seen can appear after a drop in sugar levels and such). And what is pizza, really? Cheese, bread, vegetables, meat, and oil.

I guess I don't see how your previous diet which included grains and sugars caused you to have malnutrition. Without some sort of medical condition that prevents efficient storage of nutrients (or gluten intolerance), the only way I see someone being malnourished is by eating a diet low in nutrient density. How are we malnourished from birth? Breast milk or formula would take care of any nutrients a baby needs.

Edited for grammar
  • RhineDHP
    Options
    When it comes to gluten (not saying it is, just using it as an example, because it's the most documented), even the quickest notice of symptom relief is generally at least 24 hours ( http://trulyglutenfree.co.uk/2011/03/09/how-long-to-get-gluten-out-of-the-body/ ), often with more following for days, weeks, and even months, depending on the nature of the symptoms. There's not only precedent, but 3 days isn't out of the realm of possibility. Also, the physiological state of stress slows and stops digestion, meaning it can take longer for a given foreign substance to enter the rest of the body. Reduced stomach acid and bile also means food takes longer to digest and isn't necessarily entirely digested. Given that my husband had his gallbladder removed several years ago, suffice it to say, he doesn't produce sufficient bile.

Also, the idea that what you ingest has no bearing on the rest of your body is ludicrous. If that were the case, oral medication would not exist, at all (because it wouldn't work). Nor would a ketogenic diet basically remove the chance of seizures in epileptics. And again, there are numerous neurological problems that have been linked to food intolerances ( http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-free-society-blog/gluten-in-the-diet-triggers-many-neurological-problems/ ). Precedent.

Hmm, I checked out those links, and they were both pretty much geared towards people who were either gluten-sensitive or gluten intolerant. Not that gluten itself was evil. It is educating me more on what types of side effects occur in these individuals, so I thank you for the link. And I also apologize, as I said in the previous post, I was confusing two neurochemicals; serotonin is indeed produced in both the brain and the GI tract.

But unless I missed it on the websites I didn't see any peer-reviewed study to back up the claim that gluten took that long to be removed from the body, or that gluten had any negative bearing on individuals who were not already gluten-sensitive or gluten intolerant to being with. So I'm taking some of this information with a grain of salt.

So I guess in the long run, a food allergy test would be the best option to find out what food type, if any, your husband and son may be allergic to.

Edit: because typos, ayy
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    As for PIZZA TIME I recommend Against The Grain pizzas, which you can usually find in Whole Foods or preferably (cheaper) at Vitamin Cottage/Natural Grocers, and some supermarkets have them. These are completely gluten free but with none of the usual GF gross stuff - just eggs, cheese and tapioca flour, spices. I don't eat them often because they are very heavy but when I want pizza they are SUPER DELISH without me having to eat bread at all. Against the Grain also makes some decent rolls and bagels also for those times when you just really want some bread.

That actually sounds like the recipe we generally use when we make our own pizza crust (the recipe we use is in the first response here - http://paleohacks.com/questions/102842/chebe-pizza-crust.html ). I found it takes some getting used to the flavor/texture, as well as how to cook it so it turns out right, but otherwise, it's pretty good.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS RECIPE! I don't usually type in caps but I am super excited!
    ---

I guess I should also respond to the original post...because I did skim through and read/follow the responses. I think that the poster is correct that food can influence moods/personality. In my opinion, it could be either a lack of nutrients, food sensitivities/allergies, or food choices contributing to something else... like a thyroid imbalance. It could be one of a million things, so if I were you, I would just replace the less healthy ingredients and have homemade yummy pizza all the time! I would also take a high-quality multi-vitamin and/or supplement any individual nutrients the doctor suggests. I have been feeling less than focused/alert lately, but I'm finally feeling a little better since I started a quality multi-vitamin. It might be a placebo effect, but either way it's working for the time being to improve my mood/energy.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

WRONG on so many levels.

I'm part of this group to get a bird's eye view of the lifestyle. I'm also part of a vegan group, mainly to get some recipes to incorporate more vegetables into my diet.

But according to yourself, my differing opinion automatically should have me ejected?

I do apologize for an earlier piece of misinformation though. I recognize that yes, serotonin is produced in both the brain and the GI tract (I was mistakenly confusing it with Oxytocin, my bad). I'm not above correcting any misinformation on my part.

For your personal post, I did not say that food didn't affect the physical body. It's pretty common sense that not eating nutrient dense foods would be unhealthy for a person in the long run. I merely said food does not cause rage. Rage is a rather extreme emotion, rather than just irritability (which I've seen can appear after a drop in sugar levels and such). And what is pizza, really? Cheese, bread, vegetables, meat, and oil.

I guess I don't see how your previous diet which included grains and sugars caused you to have malnutrition. Without some sort of medical condition that prevents efficient storage of nutrients (or gluten intolerance), the only way I see someone being malnourished is by eating a diet low in nutrient density. How are we malnourished from birth? Breast milk or formula would take care of any nutrients a baby needs.

Edited for grammar

No, I'm not saying you necessarily should be ejected. But your views are not inline with Paleo views, and this is a Paleo forum. I expect to encounter extreme opposition to Paleo views in the General forums, but not here.

Asserting that a grain/sugar based diet could not cause malnutrition... is ignorant. Grains (especially the processed products that dominate the current diet) inhibit absorption of many nutrients in the intestinal tract. Add that to a an almost entirely processed food diet that most Americans and Canadians consume.... can lead to malnutrition. The fact that the majority of people are sick and fat supports my view. Malnutrition does not mean a shortage of calories, it means inadequate intake of necessary nutrients.

Exactly, the SAD diet IS low in nutrient density! Eureka!

(Suggestion: accept a person's personal experience as "real" instead of trying to debunk it because YOU don't believe it's possible.)

You do know that composition of breast milk relies on the health of the mother and that what the mother ate, or didn't eat, affected the foetus during development? Formula would take care of "any nutrients a baby needs". Are you for real? Honestly, by saying something like that I KNOW that my response is falling on deaf ears... and yet I persist.....

You would benefit from expanding your view. Check out the research of Dr. Weston A. Price, I assure you it's credible and very informative. His research can no longer be duplicated so it's very important in the scope of understanding human health and nutrition and where things have gone so wrong.

FYI, Paleo and vegan philosophies do not go well together. Yes a Paleo diet is often plant based (but doesn't have to be, for example the Inuit) in regards to volume, but is usually animal based in regards to calorie ratio. Not speaking for everyone by any means.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Hmm, I checked out those links, and they were both pretty much geared towards people who were either gluten-sensitive or gluten intolerant. Not that gluten itself was evil. It is educating me more on what types of side effects occur in these individuals, so I thank you for the link. And I also apologize, as I said in the previous post, I was confusing two neurochemicals; serotonin is indeed produced in both the brain and the GI tract.

But unless I missed it on the websites I didn't see any peer-reviewed study to back up the claim that gluten took that long to be removed from the body, or that gluten had any negative bearing on individuals who were not already gluten-sensitive or gluten intolerant to being with. So I'm taking some of this information with a grain of salt.

So I guess in the long run, a food allergy test would be the best option to find out what food type, if any, your husband and son may be allergic to.

Edit: because typos, ayy

Might I suggest learning more about about Paleo, and food intolerances, then?

While it's estimated that 1% of the population has Celiac, it's estimated that more than 80% of them remain undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. Non-celiac gluten sensitivity is even worse, because unlike Celiac, there is no blood test you can do (because gluten sensitivity does not trigger antibodies to be created like Celiac does), and estimates suggest that as much as half to 2/3 of Americans have some level of gluten sensitivity, and even optimistic estimates put it at 6-7%. The only way, currently, to diagnose non-Celiac gluten sensitivity is through elimination (and good luck getting the doctor to sign off on that, given that the vast majority of doctors don't even know about Celiac, and many think NCGS doesn't exist at all, and your odds are even worse if you don't present in the stereotypical manner).

I mention that to say this -- it's unknown whether my husband has any food sensitivities, which is also largely why I asked here. There are so many things in something like pizza that a person could be sensitive to that I was hoping to find someone with a similar experience that was able to find the root cause, so that I might be able to have somewhere to start. Not having a doctor's diagnosis, or a blood test, to "prove" something does not mean a person does not have a given health issue.

Also, regarding your request for a "peer-reviewed study to back up the claim that gluten took that long to be removed from the body" -- well, good luck with that, because the studies don't look for that. They look for the antibodies, which will arguably last quite a bit longer than the trigger. Again, though, ask anyone who's found themselves to be gluten sensitive in any way, and you'll generally see a lag time of at least 24 hours for symptoms to start easing up, and longer times the farther removed you get from the GI tract (ie - immediate GI symptoms like heartburn typically go away first, then the "brain fog," then the joint pain and skin issues, and so on). Again, though, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence -- just because a peer-reviewed study hasn't been done on something, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

And I never once said that gluten was evil (an inanimate object can't really be "evil"; it can, however, be something that isn't good for human consumption, kind of like a myriad of other compounds that exist in nature, like lead or tar, or even things other animals can eat, such as certain varieties of mushrooms and the animals that eat them). I have no idea where you got that from, other than that this is a Paleo board. In that context, gluten isn't the only reason Paleo avoids grains (and your responses here suggest that you don't know this, nor do you know the nature of grains and legumes and the reasons Paleo avoids them). That comes back to learning more about the details of Paleo beyond the "no grains, no legumes (and some plans, no dairy)" Paleo 101 basics.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

WRONG on so many levels.

Edited for grammar

No, I'm not saying you necessarily should be ejected. But your views are not inline with Paleo views, and this is a Paleo forum. I expect to encounter extreme opposition to Paleo views in the General forums, but not here.

Asserting that a grain/sugar based diet could not cause malnutrition... is ignorant. Grains (especially the processed products that dominate the current diet) inhibit absorption of many nutrients in the intestinal tract. Add that to a an almost entirely processed food diet that most Americans and Canadians consume.... can lead to malnutrition. The fact that the majority of people are sick and fat supports my view. Malnutrition does not mean a shortage of calories, it means inadequate intake of necessary nutrients.

Exactly, the SAD diet IS low in nutrient density! Eureka!

(Suggestion: accept a person's personal experience as "real" instead of trying to debunk it because YOU don't believe it's possible.)

You do know that composition of breast milk relies on the health of the mother and that what the mother ate, or didn't eat, affected the foetus during development? Formula would take care of "any nutrients a baby needs". Are you for real? Honestly, by saying something like that I KNOW that my response is falling on deaf ears... and yet I persist.....

You would benefit from expanding your view. Check out the research of Dr. Weston A. Price, I assure you it's credible and very informative. His research can no longer be duplicated so it's very important in the scope of understanding human health and nutrition and where things have gone so wrong.

FYI, Paleo and vegan philosophies do not go well together. Yes a Paleo diet is often plant based (but doesn't have to be, for example the Inuit) in regards to volume, but is usually animal based in regards to calorie ratio. Not speaking for everyone by any means.

Note to Rhine - Akima mentions that Price's research can't be duplicated, because his research area was in the lives of indigenous populations, most of whom have since been "Westernized" and no longer eat their traditional diet (the Okinawans actually suffer from the same issue -- the diet that they're so famous for is actually alien to them and has only been their diet since WWII). There is some limited research still going on with the Australian Aboriginals, the Maasi people, and probably a few South American tribes, but the vast majority of people now eat a neolithic, if not altogether Western, diet.
  • nordicnate
    Options
    I have Celiac disease. When I get glutened, I become a total *kitten*. A lot of anger and no filter. :(
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I have Celiac disease. When I get glutened, I become a total *kitten*. A lot of anger and no filter. :(

Considering that Celiac disease is so underdiagnosed and gluten sensitivity even more so, that makes sense. There are a lot of angry people around.
  • jeridith
    jeridith Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Late to this thread! Annatto, a natural plant-based food colouring very commonly found in cheeses to give them their bright yellow colour, has been linked to outbursts of rage and head banging incidents. I believe it's number 160b in the ingredient lists.