Hiding the scale?

Options
Hey Paleo Pals,
I'm going to try not compulsively weighing myself everyday! From now on I'm weighing myself on the first of every month. Anyone want to join me? I'm trying to remember this is a slow and steady journey towards health, not a quick fix fad diet.
I've started cutting gluten and most grains and reduced a lot of the sugar from my life for the past few days and feel great, and the scale is going to start to show it, but obviously not overnight. Soon I want to cut the legumes and eventually most of the dairy. I've tried to go paleo overnight before and had great weight loss results but gave up due to the fact that I felt I was deprived. But I'm hoping that this more gradual change will slowly build my confidence/will power.
Anyway I would love to find some friends who are not only about the scale loss but about overall health!

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I do a once a week on Saturdays weigh-in to keep me sane and kudos to dropping grains and such, it is a hard step for most people. Friend request sent.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I think that is an excellent idea.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I like the once a week thing :) maybe the once a month thing is a little extreme, but I really want to eat this way regardless of how slow my weight loss is :) thanks for the friend request!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Hope it works well fo ryou!. it's not for me though. I

The scale keeps me on track. If I start eating poorly, I see it on the scale and it's a reminder to clean things up. Too often I've ditched the scale, derailed a bit, and then get back to it a month or two later only to find I've gained 10lbs.

I also find that my weight fluctuates too much for me to trust a once a week or once a month weigh-in. If my original weigh-in is on a very low day, and subsequent weigh-in is on a high day, it could seem like I gained weight (and kill some of the motivation) when that's not the case.
  • each_day_stronger
    Options
    Interesting thoughts! And as always, whatever works for you is what you should do! We shall see, it's all a grand experiment, if it seems to only be demotivating me I can always start looking again. :) I guess for me I am trying to rely on other markers besides the scale, like how much energy I have, how I look in the mirror, and the ever so useful how my pants fit---since ULTIMATELY, that's where I want the change to be, scale be damned!
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I was doing it every few days but that drove me crazy (when I stalled it seemed like forever and it wasn't). Once a week keeps me motivated and until I get another 10 pounds off I should see movement every week.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Once a month is actually better. Even week to week there are large fluctuations and it gets very slow to lose fat when you only have 20 pounds to go. For people who measure their success entirely based on the number on a device that has no clue on body composition, water retention, etc I think it's useful to get rid of the scale. We can measure progress is other, better ways.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I like the once a week thing :) maybe the once a month thing is a little extreme, but I really want to eat this way regardless of how slow my weight loss is :) thanks for the friend request!

I am another slow loser... and trying to ignore the urge to jump on a scale every day. But need to check about every 4-5 days, so I don't go too far off track!
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Some day I'll throw that thing away...for now I weigh in twice a week.
  • mixelated
    mixelated Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have trouble stopping the compulsive weighing, since tracking everything else already has me in a compulsive pattern. Tracking every bite, macronutrients, exercise, on a daily basis, weight seems like just another daily thing to note!
  • each_day_stronger
    Options
    All the more reason to do it! I definitely know the feeling and took a long break from tracking calories, in part because I felt it was starting to become bad for my mental health. For now it feels motivating and fun to have this community, but as soon as it starts to feel compulsive and crazy-making, I'm going to stop. Striving for health for me is more than just fat-loss.