How to get back on track

Options
jocop2003
jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
Looking for anyone to over any suggestions. I am an emotional binge eater, however when I start seeing results from weight loss I start slipping and find myself back where I started.

I can do good all day and than when I am bored I just quit. I really want to succeed.

This year I am 40 and my goal is to look fabulous.

I know the success to weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

I found the more and more I am active the hungry I am, and If I am not busy well than I want to eat.

Any suggestions if you have found yourself in the same situation.

Replies

• Helenabc
    Helenabc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I find when I try new food and recipes (healthy ones) I feel like I am treating myself to special food and am less likely to binge. Get yourself out of the boring routine and focus on new foods or other treats (walks, new book, new nail polish, new hobby) you can give yourself rather than what you are taking away. Helen
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Thanks Helen,

Part of it can be the weather. I feel so cooped up in the house. It has been windy these past few days, even though the temperatures are beautiful. I am itchy for Spring.

I also live in a very small city where it is about an 1hr away or more from any other activity.

My boredom therapy used to be retail therapy. Which isn't usually that good when you are trying to lose weight as you get depressed on that.

Once Spring is here I think we will be busy with the kids outside, or doing yard work that will keep me out of the pantry.

But I like the new recipe idea.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a way to put distance between myself and others because of a fear of intimacy. When I start eating from emotion rather than hunger, I try to remember that (with mixed results - most of the time when I emotionally eat I don't know that I'm doing it until later).

When it happens, I've started forgiving myself instead of feeding into the cycle by blaming/hating myself, which leads me to overeat, which leads to self-hatred, etc. Break the cycle wherever you can.

On the practical side, if your hands are busy doing something non-food related, they can't put food in your mouth. Try to get involved doing something else - pet the dog/cat, take up a craft (something portable), chewing mint-flavored gum is a good alternative. If I floss and brush my teeth directly after eating meals I'm less likely to want to eat emotionally.
  • 0livegar
    Options
    Hello- I'm glad you wrote this post. I am also an emotional binge eater and it is a daily struggle to work through. I just joined this site a few weeks ago and I will admit...I am a yoyo dieter. What I am learning though is not to give up. In the past, if I ate too many calories at a time, I would blow my whole day and it would take days if not weeks to get back on track. I have learned to get back on track right away and also I log everything I eat, no matter how much it was. It is really a reality check to see how fast calories add up. I didn't always realize that.

Just a few things that have been helping me with this journey:
    1. I always plan my meals the night before. So every night, I go to my kitchen and I plan everything that I will eat the next day and I will actually put those foods in my food journal right away. That has really been helping me. Its a small step but is very helpful..
    2. On the weekends, I struggle the most because I have more down time. I spend my time hitting the gym. I will spend about an hour and a half there. I will exercise and then hit the sauna. I love that. Usually other girls will join me and we all end up talking about our goals and it kinda motivates me.
    3. Find an outfit or dress that you would like to fit into. Hang it in the kitchen or your bedroom so you can see it everyday. It will help when you feel like binging because it will remind you what you are working for.
    4. When you are bored and feel like binging, set a timer for 15 minutes. Do not eat in that time. Rather use that time to journal your feelings about why you want to eat and maybe brainstorm some ideas of healthy food choices. Use this time to figure out if there is a pattern. Do you feel like binge eating a certain time of day everyday? If so, that is the time to focus on. I know with me, I get so hungry everyday around 2-3:00. So during that time, I will plan a snack and I do not starve or deprive myself. I have been known to get a snack size bag of doritos which are only about 140 calories. It takes the edge off and yet I'm still having success in my day.
    5. When you are bored, try doing a new activity. Go on a walk, listen to music while sitting outside. For me, fresh air really helps. Journal, go on youtube and do a walking video. I have been walking in the mornings to the Leslie Sansone videos. Today I did the 2 mile walk. Go window shop because it motivates you to keep going. I like seeing different outfits that I would buy when I reach my goal weight. Sometimes, I even make some new recipes so that when I am hungry, I can just pull something out of the fridge and its there.

I'm not sure if these ideas will help you. Its something that helped me though. Just baby steps. I do a lot of self talk though to get myself through things. With time, it will become a habit and won't be as difficult. I wish you the best!
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am having a similar issue. I am doing crossfit and training for an eventually half marathon. I also starting doing the CARB CYCLING program by Chris Powell. Some days I am hungry all the time (yesterday and today in fact). I am trying to learn to NOT eat every second I am hungry and to eat deliberately. Having to type it into MFP is helping a TON... and also trying to factor in a few few calories a day help so when I am REALLY REALLY hungry I know I have a cushion. Likt last nights 2 tablespoons of peanut butter on a spoon.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    There is some great info here.
    What I've learnt from the nutritional stuff here is that if we are too stringent ie too few calories, too restrictive in what we can eat we will all binge.
    I make sure that if I am physically hungry I eat.
    It doesn't hurt to focus on our goals.
    I have failed before. Forgive mistakes.
    I use guided meditations that help me focus on letting go, feeling safe etc.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    There is some great info here.
    What I've learnt from the nutritional stuff here is that if we are too stringent ie too few calories, too restrictive in what we can eat we will all binge.
    I make sure that if I am physically hungry I eat.
    It doesn't hurt to focus on our goals.
    I have failed before. Forgive mistakes.
    I use guided meditations that help me focus on letting go, feeling safe etc.

^^This. Also, accountability seems to be a big issue. I always binged when I was alone so that I didn't have to be accountable. I have logged into websites like MFP before and failed because I would take a "bite" of this or that and decide it wasn't enough to log or "I'll just have this because [enter excuse here] and since it's a special circumstance it won't matter." Forcing myself to be accountable has definitely lessened the desire to binge.
  • sunshine11111
    sunshine11111 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm finally under 210 pounds, which is the lowest I've been in a few years. I know that eating has always made me feel good, and the binging began after being sexually assaulted about 10 years ago. The weight has been somewhat of a protection. The more weight I lose, the more I feel out of control, the anxiety starts, and I want to binge. I am going to start some therapy to deal with this, but what also helps me stop the binging is logging every single thing that I eat... no matter what it looks like. It gives me some perspective and helps me see that I'm out of control.
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Looking for anyone to over any suggestions. I am an emotional binge eater, however when I start seeing results from weight loss I start slipping and find myself back where I started.

What I would like to ask - are you proud of yourself when you start seeing results?

Because I (recovering from bulimia nervosa) noticed that whenever I started getting results (be it weight loss or another part of my life), I started to sabotage myself, without even really noticing it!
    This was because
    1) I couldn't be proud of myself or of what I do and
    2) I was afraid of what would await me when I actually get to my goal.

That was when I realized that I was blaming "being fat" for many things and if I had lost the weight, I would have been in the position to be forced to realize that my weight was actually never holding me back.

So, I don't know if you can relate to this, but try to think about why you want to do it, what you think about yourself, what you think that will change. Maybe this will.. "erase" some of the magic, but it might make it easier after all. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I do my best not to drive by any bakery. I avoid the cookie isle. I tell myself that people love me and I don't need to hide behind fat tissue. That was a hard one. I had a high stress job, nasty husband and mother-in-law from hell. I'm retired and readjusting my head. It is work not to binge. I try not to have any extra food in the refrig. I do have skinny cow in the freezer and that helps, like a treat and one square of Godiva on occasion---not the whole thing, just a square. I try and enter what I eat here! Makes me more aware of what I am doing to myself.
  • lilmisstata
    lilmisstata Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's so interesting how similar we all are. I could've wrote your post. It seems like sometimes the scale is my trigger. I see results and I slip up on my eating. Or I start to finally feel better because I'm eating better - then I slip.

I have been caught in a vicious cycle for too long now.

Since none of my friends seem to have food or weight problems and the few that do, don't want to change, I came here to try to create a support system to stop the cycle.

I was a compulsive emotional eater my entire life, lost the weight for years and then ended up slipping into bulimia because of the fear of gaining the weight back. In treatment they told me I was too restrictive and that I should "allow" myself to eat all foods and practice intuitive eating. THAT DID NOT WORK FOR ME. What horrible advise as I gained 60 lbs that I have not been able to lose.

I believe through my own experience that certain foods are triggers and I should avail them. The moment I ease up and think I can take a bite of some sugary carby thing...I'm off and running.