I just want to go back to work!

Options
Rant session now in: Okay I am 9 days post band surgery. I feel great but because doc says no lifting above 15 lbs. I can't be released to go back to work. I am going to go freakin nuts! I'm in no pain, I feel well rested, I can actually lift more than 15 lbs without stressing my body. I know my body better than anyone else. It's really frustrating. So I do what any American with the internet does. I rant about it online. :noway:

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, it only took me about 4 days to get totally restless! I am really glad I had the time to rest and heal though.

I know you feel you know your body better than anyone else, but the surgeons know how your body is after surgery, and it would be best to take their advice. You never know what you could be doing to yourself internally by lifting, and you want to do everything you can to heal well!
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, it only took me about 4 days to get totally restless! I am really glad I had the time to rest and heal though.

I know you feel you know your body better than anyone else, but the surgeons know how your body is after surgery, and it would be best to take their advice. You never know what you could be doing to yourself internally by lifting, and you want to do everything you can to heal well!
    I agree listen to the Doc last thing you want to do is hurt yourself. Use this time for yourself, maybe pick up a bariatric cookbook to keep busy. Try some recipes and freeze them for when you can eat again.(I'm assuming your on liquids now)

I was recommended a book to read from my bariatric class called Obese From The Heart : A Fat Psychiatrist Discloses By: Sara L. Stein I read a few pages of it on Amazon and it was pretty good. The lady that teaches my bariatric class HIGHLY recommended it.

BLOG about your experience of WLS so far...

Leslie Sansone Walk away the pounds at home?? It's on youtube no need to buy dvd :smile:

Good luck and hang in there
    Oh you COULD post on our other topics! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I'm all about the group,shameless I know!!:blushing:
  • minibandit
    Options
    My first child was born by C-section after complications. After about 2 weeks I felt great, started lifting the baby bath (full of water) and driving and just living a normal life.

One year later I woke up to find it looked like I had swallowed an apple whole! I had herniated my scar.
    That equaled one horrible operation where they said it was far bigger a hernia than it looked, that it had started very soon after the original c-section and one hard lesson learned!

As boring as it is...and as great as you feel...do as you're told!!
  • sleepingarby
    Options
    All good advice, esp, Bandit. It doesn't mean that I don't still want to stomp around and pout like a petulant child. I will be good...if I have to... good news, I can move to stage 4 diet. Yay cheese!
  • sleepingarby
    Options
    Just heard back from work, they are making an allowance for me (very very rare for the Liquor Commission), I can go back on Monday on "light duty" and then full status the following week. I will still take very good care not to over do it. Bandit's story has really stuck with me. I don't want to end up back on the table. Thanks, my new friends for all your kindnesses. It warms my heart. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doc! I am glad you get to do "part" or light duty work. If you feel restless, go for a walk. A long walk, a fast walk, as far as I know, there are no restrictions on walking.

I waited 3 years after Bariatric surgery to make sure the pounds lost stayed off. In Oct, I had a tummy tuck to get rid of excess skin. It was awsome. I followed the rules about lifting... but did excercise, on eliptical and treadmill. Excercise brought on a cough.... Coughing caused a herniation along weak muscles, Story, had hernia repair on Tuesday, now my instructions clearly say..... Walking as tolerated, No lifting, no bending, no pushing, no slipping on ice, no running, no bicycling, no eliptical until cleared by surgeon after 4 weeks. Yes it was a much bigger hernia than anticipated by either my surgeon or my self. I am going crazy, restless, but going to follow rules. Reherniation of a hernia, or scar tissue keeps getting more difficult to repair.
    Think, if you have a rolling chair and you push yourself away, how much weight are your pushing..... Your own weight plus that of the chair.

Good luck, and take it easy
  • sarahscoles1
    sarahscoles1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I only took a week off from work, but when I returned, I was on a lift restriction for 6 weeks per my surgeon. I'm a nurse, so obviously, there's lifting involved. My co workers were awesome about being helpful and not allowing me to lift. I was so paranoid that I was going to slip my band in that immediate post op period that I strictly listened to my surgeon!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    after 3 weeks i still find getting out of bed a near impossible challange because of pain, your all rock starts managing to get back to normal activitys so soon
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    How are you doing now? Did you find something fun to keep you busy?
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    after 3 weeks i still find getting out of bed a near impossible challange because of pain, your all rock starts managing to get back to normal activitys so soon

Just wondering how you are feeling now?
  • sleepingarby
    Options
    I am back on full duty. I am still careful but glad to be back doing the things I am used to doing. There is a lot of moving cases of wine/spirits but as long as I remain focused on the mechanics of proper lifting, I haven't had a problem. I try to stay extra hydrated due to the "on the go" nature of my work. Being busy is ok because even though I am only taking in about 950 calories at 3 weeks out I have stalled out on losing weight. I hope the lifting is salvaging my muscle and will get my metabolism moving again.
  • snickerdoolers
    snickerdoolers Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 weeks too! I was so angry at everyone telling me 1 maybe 2 weeks of pain. All liars i say! lol I was happy to have the 3 wks off of work and my coworkers still don't let me lift much.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I am back on full duty. I am still careful but glad to be back doing the things I am used to doing. There is a lot of moving cases of wine/spirits but as long as I remain focused on the mechanics of proper lifting, I haven't had a problem. I try to stay extra hydrated due to the "on the go" nature of my work. Being busy is ok because even though I am only taking in about 950 calories at 3 weeks out I have stalled out on losing weight. I hope the lifting is salvaging my muscle and will get my metabolism moving again.

Everyone stalls at timws, and especially at three weeks. Do a search for three week stall, you will finds tons of information.

Stick to your plan. Protein first, weigh your portions, log everything. I wouldn't go over 950 calories, at least not for a while. Do your part, and the weight will come off.
  • sleepingarby
    Options
    Thank you GRIM! I was wondering what I was doing wrong. I have followed everything to the letter. Including when I shower, switching to decaf, and keeping count on water intake. Where should I look to find the information on the "3 week stall"? I find Obesityhelp.com not so easy to navigate. Any other websites geared toward banders like me?
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    OH is a little awkward, but still the best, I think. It's worth figuring out. I'm on there every day.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thank you GRIM! I was wondering what I was doing wrong. I have followed everything to the letter. Including when I shower, switching to decaf, and keeping count on water intake. Where should I look to find the information on the "3 week stall"? I find Obesityhelp.com not so easy to navigate. Any other websites geared toward banders like me?

I spend some time in BariatricPal.

As far as the stall, I did not experience one at three weeks with RNY surgery, however I do know that if you speak with a dietitian about your stall, the first question they will ask are if you are getting your protein and your water in.