Am I just being neurotic? Or doing something wrong?

Options
Hi all,

Some background:

I was sleeved on Jan 29th and other than some initial problems while in the hospital, it has been a great (though sometimes odd) experience. My blood sugar levels have been on the lower side, so I was told to discontinue my metformin for now.

I am currently transitioning to mushy foods (so sick of liquid), with no problems except when I forget to eat slow! I've been managing 70-80oz of liquid (mostly plain water though sometimes with Special K or other protein), and around 50-70grams of protein, generally in the form of yogurt, kieffier, supplements, and beans (hummus and Indian dahls). Carbs vary, but generally 40-60grams mostly from the beans.

Initially I walked 15-20 min a day, but I'm now back on my bike doing arounf 15min low intensity ride, and even managed to ride to work as I normally do yesterday (around 5 min ride, with my bag).

I lost 16 lbs between my day of surgery and my 1 week checkup, but since I've gained roughly 5lbs

Am I doing something wrong? is there something I should reevaluate? Or am I just being crazy?

No matter how much I try to think positive, I just keeping feeling like I'm going to be the one person to mess this up. I would normally work out my emotions at the gym (or eat, but that's not an option), but since I can't, I feel like I'm stuck in a hole I can't climb out of.

Help!

Replies

• HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    www.verticalsleevetalk.com

^^ I cannot tell people enough about that site. What you are experiencing is COMPLETELY normal. I promise. You will go through water weight gains, stalls (yes, stalls - for weeks at a time) and gains later on. But guess what, stick with your plan and you will be fine. There is nothing better than sticking with it and waking up after a 3 week stall to see that scale dropped! It happens to the best of us.. Keep up the good work and don't have fear when the scale is not your friend. Your body is going through major changes and it takes time to adjust.

:flowerforyou:
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You are NOT doing anything wrong. Your experience actually sounds a lot like mine! I lost 18 pounds the first week after surgery then I lost NOTHING (as a matter of fact I bounced up and down) for the next 10 days. Was a bit frustrating, but I focused on the BIG picture. After about 10 days it started falling off again. I am 7 weeks out now, and will occasionally hit a stall that lasts around a week or so. I'm trying to follow my Dr's advice and put my scale away (she encouraged me to only weigh myself every 2 weeks, or so) haven't been able to do that yet, but will soon!!
    You are doing great!! Don't be discouraged - keep on following your Dr's instructions and trust the process!!! :happy:
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the reassurances! Yes, I am working on not weighinh myself ALL the time. I had heard about stalls, but no one ever mentioned them so soon after surgery!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Make sure you weigh and measure your food so that you know exactly where you are and then don't worry about it. Your dahls aren't made with a lot of butter or cream are they? At three wks I was going over my calories by eyeballing my food portions and eating some foods where I had estimated the calories and was way off. When I fixed this the wt has fallen off though I usually stall every other wk while my body resets. I just keep aiming for 750 cals and my protein goals. Your body eventually just gives in and starts burning fat for energy
  • hurricanelena
    Options
    MangoPickle,

Yes, I've been weighing and measuring stuff religiously (a habit I got into pre-op). Most of the stuff I buy is prepackaged, so the nutritional information is on the box, and a lot of them are already in MFP. Some of them have butter, others don't. I add a tablesppon of plain yogurt or kieffer if I want cream.

But the scale FINALLY moved today! I guess a watched scale doesn't move? The only reason I stepped on (before I hid it) was to check what my scale said against the one at the nutritionist's office.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    How is your sodium? Prepackaged can have some hefty salt. When I got off soups my scale really moved, I was just so sensitive to salt I was retaining soo much water. I also don't each much deli meat. Stops the scale real quick. Which is so unfair cause the cals are nice and low and the protein is good
  • hurricanelena
    Options
    MangoPickle (which are very tasty by the way if that's what your name refers to),

Salt is my nemesis. I will be cutting back on the prepackaged. I've been trying to up my fluid intake as a counter and am heading off to the grocery this eve for other bean, nut, cheese, and egg options.
  • M2Cole4U
    Options
    I am in the EXACT same situation and im doing EVERYTHING right! I haven't lost a pound in 2 weeks! Its extremely frustrating!
  • suzee279
    Options
    It is common to hit stalls that last for day or weeks. I stall frequently, but tend to lose quickly after one breaks. It is so frustrating, especially at the beginning, but I have gotten used to it, so its gotten easier on me emotionally. Just keep working the program and do what your Doc says. It will break and it will just fall off you.

If you cant take the scale...put it away. I cant manage it myself, but the stalls dont upset me the way they used to. Just know you are doing the right things and it will all work its way out.

Suz