Allergy to Rx fillers?

Options
321blueeyes
321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
I'm relatively new to this game - only been diagnosed hypo & working on meds for about 6 months. 88mcg levothyroxine at the moment, my TSH levels 0.5 which is on the low end of the range but symptoms seem OK, I've finally been able to lose weight like a normal person with proper calorie deficits :drinker: I guess I'm lucky to have a doc that treats on symptoms.

I made the unfortunate discovery that something in the Synthroid brand Rx fillers is not compatible with my body when my Rx was switched from local pharmacy to mail order (change brands) - so it's been quite a roller coaster and I had to switch back to a generic brand! While taking Synthroid brand, I gained 3 lbs in 2 weeks (despite calorie deficit) and felt like I was losing my mind / terrible hypo symptoms!

I stumbled upon the fact that Synthroid contains both a lactose and acacia filler; assuming one of these two caused the problems. However, my current generic levothyroxine by Lannett also lists acacia as filler (but no lactose). I do tend suffer from terrible chronic allergies my whole life, and seriously considering whether I should try an acacia-free brand.

Obviously, I will discuss changes with my Doctor, but I'm curious to find out how many others have suffered in this type of adjustment in meds? I really hate to consider switching meds now that I'm FINALLY able to lose weight, but I also hate the idea that I might not be optimized due to the acacia fillers. I'm feeling "ok" now, but what if I could feel "great"?

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    It's very possible. I did levoxyl (T4 like synthroid) and had issues with a couple generics. My doc said it could have been the fillers, the colorings, the coatings or some combo that my body didn't like.

I'm OK on the generic I'm on now, but apparently there are hundreds and while the medicine is the same--the "other stuff" can make a difference for some of us.

UGH! As if it needed to be more complicated!
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    UGH! As if it needed to be more complicated!

My thoughts exactly!
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to this game - only been diagnosed hypo & working on meds for about 6 months. 88mcg levothyroxine at the moment, my TSH levels 0.5 which is on the low end of the range but symptoms seem OK, I've finally been able to lose weight like a normal person with proper calorie deficits :drinker: I guess I'm lucky to have a doc that treats on symptoms.

I made the unfortunate discovery that something in the Synthroid brand Rx fillers is not compatible with my body when my Rx was switched from local pharmacy to mail order (change brands) - so it's been quite a roller coaster and I had to switch back to a generic brand! While taking Synthroid brand, I gained 3 lbs in 2 weeks (despite calorie deficit) and felt like I was losing my mind / terrible hypo symptoms!

I stumbled upon the fact that Synthroid contains both a lactose and acacia filler; assuming one of these two caused the problems. However, my current generic levothyroxine by Lannett also lists acacia as filler (but no lactose). I do tend suffer from terrible chronic allergies my whole life, and seriously considering whether I should try an acacia-free brand.

Obviously, I will discuss changes with my Doctor, but I'm curious to find out how many others have suffered in this type of adjustment in meds? I really hate to consider switching meds now that I'm FINALLY able to lose weight, but I also hate the idea that I might not be optimized due to the acacia fillers. I'm feeling "ok" now, but what if I could feel "great"?

I had issues too, which is why I switched to Tironsint- no fillers. 100% levothyroxine. Just expensive....
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    ashleyapplewh : how are you doing on Tirosint? My doc is going to allow me to try it, since for 2.5 years with pure Synthroid (not generic), I still have symptoms (ie: weight gain, joint pain, brain fog, fatigue). I figure its gotta be the Synthroid itself if we've changed dosages 5 or 6 times in 2.5 years as well as adding or taking away Cytomel (T3)....
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You could also ask your doc about cytomel. It's a T3. Your body is supposed to convert T4 to T3, but mine apparently does not do a good job. There are several reputable studies out there about the numbers not changing much, but the patient's quality of life improving. Mine sure did.