Ladies! I need some advice/opinions. (Poss TMI)

Options
Dmkolls
Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
I have been on BCP since I was 17 or so to regulate my periods. I'm 36 now, and my gyno told me that BCP was never meant for long term use and wanted me to get the Mirena inserted.

My appointment is for Monday, but I'm looking up information online about this and the reviews are all over the place! A lot of women say that they could not lose weight at all and rather gained weight/bloating in their stomach. Some women had no issues whatsoever and even lost weight on it, but those numbers seem to be fewer.

A couple of blogs of female CrossFitters mentioned that they had trouble with performance at the gym and even grew depressed while it was in.

Anybody here have experience with it?

Replies

• melmckay99
    Options
    In for the answers. I'm 30 and have been on BCP since I was 16.
  • tibsons_girl
    tibsons_girl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i had Mirena for 7 years and never experienced any negative effects from it. I had no weight gain or issues with weight loss, i had no problems with it moving around or pain with gym activity. After the first month or two my period disappeared completely for the duration it was inserted. Mind you i had a very light period to begin with, but i would get horrible cramping at TOM and that disappeared entirely as well while Mirena was inserted.

I'm not sure how helpful my response will be since it is in no way a negative reaction :) I would have another one put in if i was not hoping to get pregnant :) In contrast, i have been on both ortho tri cyclen and alesse and had problems with both.
  • tibsons_girl
    tibsons_girl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Also, curious for the reason your doctor wanted you to switch to Mirena? It uses hormones just like the pill so i'm not sure why Mirena would be preferable in the long term?
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Also, curious for the reason your doctor wanted you to switch to Mirena? It uses hormones just like the pill so i'm not sure why Mirena would be preferable in the long term?

Her thoughts are that it is a lot less amount of hormones than the BCP, and they're isolated to the uterus rather than the entire blood stream. She claims that BCP wasn't meant to be long-term and can have some bad side effects when you get older, and Mirena supposedly has a lot less side effects.

She deals with them a lot in her practice and overall recommends it over BCP.

As I poke around, I see a lot more positive reviews. I just get nervous when it comes to weight issues. That being said, I know a lot of people HATE the BCP I'm currently on, but I haven't had issues with it for the 10+ years I've been taking it.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are if you aren't having problems with it don't monkey around with it. My second thought is (because I am a cynic when it comes to doctors) is she getting a kick back or free trip from the drug company.

With that being said, I liked nuvaring a lot when I was on BC. It concentrated the hormones in the urterus and it was way less permenant.
  • Sbiscotti
    Sbiscotti Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I was on the Nuvaring for 9 years and loved it. Unfortunately my insurance no longer covers it so I switched to Mirena last month which amazingly my insurance covered 100%. I have experienced cramping and bleeding randomly for the past month and have gained about 4 lbs. I have a doctor appointment on Friday and will be discussing the side effects. I'll let you know how it goes, but so far I am unimpressed and may be calling my insurance to complains soon.
  • getfitsara
    Options
    I am a big fan of NuvaRing if that's a possibility. No side effects yet (been using for 4 months). Continuing to lose 1-2 # a week. My GYN told me the BC shot (not sure what it is called) often causes weight gain, so keep that in mind. Good luck!