Hypothyroid, IR and Metformin -- weight loss results?

Options
lindsey1979
lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
Hi Everyone,

Although I suspected for some time (and went to several doctors) that I had thyroid issues, I was only recently diagnosed with thyroid issues (Hashimotos) recently. I also learned that I'm quite insulin resistant, which apparently can happen when hypothyroid disease goes untreated for a long time. So, I'm on medication for the thyroid (Nature-throid) as well as for the insulin resistance (metformin).

My doc basically explained that metformin would help me with weight loss where my attempts with diet and exercise alone weren't helping (I've been eating 750 deficit/day just to maintain my weight after a 30+ lbs weight gain over the last 2 years). It's my understanding that the metformin helps my body metabolize glucose properly so that I can finally see weight loss and fat reduction like a normal person through diet and exercise. But I had to do the work -- without the diet and exercise, it wouldn't help much because it only helps you metabolize glucose correctly and sensitize you to insulin properly -- it can't do the work of diet/exercise, just facilitates that work to create results.

He basically said that even if we go the thyroid straightened out, it could still be very difficult to lose the 30 lbs because of the insulin resistance -- so the metformin helps to reset that. And ideally, once I lose the weight and the thyroid is properly treated, I shouldn't need it anymore as my insulin resistance should have corrected and won't be induced again from the prolonged hypothyroid. I eat rather low carb (50-80 carbs/day) already as I follow a Paleo/primal lifestyle --- a change I made last year and the first thing that really helped with all the fatigue caused by now what we know is a combination of hypothyroid and possibly insulin resistance.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience and if the metaformin helped with the weight loss (in conjunction with diet, exercise and thyroid medication)?

Replies

• dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I also have Hashimotos (hypothyroid) and many years ago I had a doctor give me Metformin for the same reasons yours did. I agree that you will need to do the work (diet and exercise). I didn't see much of a difference in the weight loss(about 1/4 lb a week was the average loss).
  • theraholmes
    Options
    how have you lost so much weight?
  • theraholmes
    Options
    I have been working out for an hour every day 6 days a week, 1400-1500 cal a day, 150 carbs and under 50g of fat religiously and I have only lost 7lbs and that 7 were what I gained in 2 weeks of doing atkins feeling a little discouraged today :(
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I've been doing about 700 calorie deficit per day and over 3 months, I've lost 3 lbs -- extremely frustrating when for a "normal" person, this would equal about 15-18 lbs weight loss. So, it was at that point, my doctor checked my sugars and insulin and found the insulin resistance. I've only just started on the metformin, only at 1000/day dose for right now, but should be up to 2000/day in a few weeks. So, I'm hoping at that point to see 5-8 lbs/month weightloss, but we'll see.

Therahomes -- I completely understand your frustration as I'm right there with you. I keep my carbs lower and my calories a little higher (but I'm 5'9" and 192 lbs) and are doing a good deal of exercise between weight lifting, walking/hiking and bikram yoga. I'm going to try and up my walking to do a minimum of 20 miles per week (not counting any extra hikes I might do on the weekends), make sure I hit my two Bikram classes a day and weight lift 2x week (probably bump up to 3 in 6 weeks or so -- I do the Starting Strength program). I've read the lifting heavy is one of the best things for insulin resistance exercise-wise, so I'm hoping this will all jump start my system.
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The only thing that's really worked for me is adopting a plant-based diet. I don't call it vegan because I eat eggs and I eat hormone-free chicken breasts. But no dairy, hardly any gluten, nothing to drink besides one cup of coffee a day and then 1 gallon of water. No processed foods, etc. People with auto-immune disorders REALLY need to pay attention to what they are putting into their bodies (me included.) It's WAY more about that then the exercise.

I, too, am on 2000 mg a day of metformin (plus thyroid meds), and it did nothing for me weight-loss wise until I got a reality check about my diet. That reality is, that most people think they are eating WAY healthier than they are...and I was one of those people.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Interesting that the plant-based diet worked for you. I've heard of that working for certain auto-immune issues. For me, it was the exact opposite. The lack of protein, omega-3, etc. that come with animal products was a major issue for me -- especially eggs, and pasture our own chickens for them. And my doc said that limiting carbs, focusing on good carbs (colorful vegetables and fruits) and upping protein was what was recommended for thyroid and insulin resistance. But the proteins I eat are grass-fed/pasture raised and have the more positive omega 3-6 balance and the carbs I focus on come solely from vegetables and the occasional fruit or dark chocolate -- no more grains or processed carbs at all.

I don't know if it's the increased protein, the decreased carbs, the lack of gluten, grains or processed food exactly that does the trick for me, but eating Paleo/Primal has me feeling so much better than anything before I don't think I'd feel nearly as well without the animal products.
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Interesting that the plant-based diet worked for you. I've heard of that working for certain auto-immune issues. For me, it was the exact opposite. The lack of protein, omega-3, etc. that come with animal products was a major issue for me -- especially eggs, and pasture our own chickens for them. And my doc said that limiting carbs, focusing on good carbs (colorful vegetables and fruits) and upping protein was what was recommended for thyroid and insulin resistance. But the proteins I eat are grass-fed/pasture raised and have the more positive omega 3-6 balance and the carbs I focus on come solely from vegetables and the occasional fruit or dark chocolate -- no more grains or processed carbs at all.

I don't know if it's the increased protein, the decreased carbs, the lack of gluten, grains or processed food exactly that does the trick for me, but eating Paleo/Primal has me feeling so much better than anything before I don't think I'd feel nearly as well without the animal products.

Right- not disagreeing with you on that- I do eat happy chicken and eggs- I'm just not a 'red meat' kind of person. So I guess I do actually eat closer to Paleo. I just hate putting a label on it- labels are for jars, not people ;)
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Gotcha, Ashleyapple. I'm not a huge red meat person myself, but I do have it every now and again. I probably eat more pig, eggs and chicken thighs than anything else. My doc said basically that high fat was the deal (so long as it was good fat) -- so pasture raised/grass fed if red meat, pork, chicken, duck, eggs, etc. along with things like almonds, coconut oil, olive oil if cold (breaks down at fairly low cooking temps), etc. He wanted to see low carbs, moderate protein (20-35%) and the rest fat. He wanted me to avoid low fat because then the extra calories would have to come from protein which gets broken down/converted into glucose more readily than fat.

It ended up being pretty much exactly what Primal/Paleo is -- so I was totally on board with it. I do have some dairy, but the full fat variety (cheese, cream, butter, etc.) and it's pretty limited - -and usually organic or pasture raised when I can find it (Kerrygold makes great butter and cheddar cheese!). He said to see how I felt on that --- I don't seem to have a reaction to lactose or casein, so dairy is okay for me. He said that for some it is and for others it isn't, so just experiment and see what works.

I'm glad a similar thing has worked for you. Since reading some of the Primal/Paleo places, it amazes me how many people are having similar experiences and how much diet really does affect such things. I wish I'd known 15 years ago.