Post op stories

Options
Any one want to share their stories of right after surgery, how you felt and how long it took to feel a lil normal? I'm curious about what to expect. I know everyone is different,I just want to get a lil perspective. Thank you. Btw my surgery is in a week from today ????

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Started to feel normalish about 6wks out. I mean my body was really used to 4000+ calories a day. I just focused on having fresh healthy food-HA HA HA, No burgers or fries for me-Just enough sushi for a sumo wrestler!!!!. Salads the size of a flipping soccer ball, whole grain organic samosas(3 at a time) enough cheese and smoked salmon to choke a horse. so acclimating to 650-750 calories a day was HUGE. Huge fatigue, lightheadedness and chronic low grade nausea that would come and go sometimes hourly. But I prayed and rigidly stuck to the plan after the 3 wk stall-which was really when I finally accepted reality to the depths of my toes that this is only a tool and it was only as hard as I was making it. Obsess about food-sheer misery-give in and be healthy easier by the hour. Especially as the wt really started to pour off. 58 lbs in 92 days. size 12-14. Good Luck
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I felt better than I expected right after surgery. I was the first patient of the morning. It took me longer than average to get lucid, but once I was up and around, (that night), I felt better than I expected. The pain meds actually made it worse for me, (I can't take hydrocodone by mouth on a good day anyway... nausea), so I did without. They sent me home the next day and I was back at work the next week. It took a a couple weeks before I could get all my water\protein in. You will probably struggle there too. Keep working at it until you can get it all in. Plan and take small meals whether you want them or not. Get used to eating on a schedule because your mind will be telling you it doesn't want anything. You need to get your nutrition in whether you like it or not in the beginning. I felt pretty normal after about 6 weeks. Now, at 4 months and 65 lbs gone, I feel amazing!
  • rlshopp6
    rlshopp6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any complications with my surgery. I don't remember the post-op room, just once I got to the regular hospital room. I was up and walking around that night a few times, and released to go home the next day. I'm single, so planned to stay with my parents a few days just to make it easier on myself. I don't remember needing help with anything, it was just nice to be around people and have the company. I absolutely hated the taste of the pain medicine, but it was worth taking it, as there definitely was some pain those first few days. And I remember doing little laps around the house each hour to keep myself moving. I had originally planned to go back to work after 2 weeks, and I tried that but was just exhausted and didn't handle it well, so I ended up working half days that week (because it was a busy season at work) then taking the next two weeks off, and doing a few hours from home each day.

I'm not 3+ years out from surgery, and most of those post-surgery feelings are a very distant memory. Best decision I've ever made, there have been other struggles since, but I've never regretted having the surgery. Best of luck to you, asking questions and doing as much as possible to know what to expect is super helpful, and then it's all about following what the doctors and nurses, nutritionists, etc. recommend, they were/are a big help to me!
  • suzee279
    Options
    My surgery went fine with no complications. I also had my gall bladder out at the same time. I went home from the hospital the next day and was in a decent amount of discomfort. By 3 days out I felt "normal" and started to return to a routine. I used pain killers the first day or so and after that it was straight Tylenol. After a week I needed nothing at all. I returned to work 3 weeks later and was fine. I felt weak and a little light headed at first but as my food intake increased that resolved itself. It was more about not having enough protein and water the first couple of weeks, than anything else.

Don't worry...everyone is really nervous about it. It was absolutely the best thing that I could have done for myself. No regrets at all.

Suz
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My surgery was on Thursday morning (7/21/11), they took me off the morphine drip Friday AM and had I had my last dose of Vicodin Saturday about 3 AM. I was walking that first day and the only problem I had was I couldn't stomach the Unjury they had me drinking as it was too sweet and too thick. I'm more of a savory person, so once I got home I lived on protein infused broth and did fine. They kept me an extra day just for this reason. Other than that, I had no issues and started feeling myself within a copule of days once I was home.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was the first surgery of the day at a relatively new and very nice hospital in the area. I actually arrived before they had finished prepping for people and before they opened the doors and the valet guy arrived. At that hospital they do a "per-registration", so all that was left the day of was for them to slap my tag on my wrist. Amusingly, everyone having surgery that morning had very similar last names - we were all Mo - driving the nurses nuts.

My pre-op nurse was about 9 months post-sleeve herself, so she gave me a very good rundown of what to expect, things to watch out for, and was generally more excited than I was feeling at the moment. This was my third surgery in the past 10 years, so I knew what to expect for the process. They were very good about explaining what medications they were giving me and why, and asking for my name and birthday before giving me anything.

If you still have all your "girl parts" intact, they will insist on a pregnancy test. We had a bit of a fight about this because really, how am I expected to go when I haven't drank anything and there is NO CHANCE I'm pregnant unless there was divine intervention.

My surgery went longer than expected (so I was told by both my surgeon and my friend) because despite all my pre-op weight loss, my liver was apparently still HUGE. My surgeon told me that one of the reasons they decided to risk it was because I had lost so much weight on my own.

I remember the post-op recovery room, and people talking about me, but nothing very clear as I only opened my eyes a few times. Mostly I was concentrating on deep breathing (important after anesthesia to prevent pneumonia). They wheeled my to my room (theirs are private) where my friend and my stuff was waiting for me, hooked me up to all my monitors, and gave me the happy button.

By the time I had to go to the bathroom a few hours later, I had to fight with the orderly who tried to bring me a bedpan. But the nurse agreed that I could go to the real bathroom and afterwards we did a quick walk, around 100 steps to a nearby hall window and back.

I was there a total of two nights, and most of the time was alternating between nurses coming to take my vitals, give me various drugs, trying to get comfortable, waiting for a nurse so I could go to the bathroom (really, its 5 steps away I can do it on my own!) or take a walk, repeating my name and birthday so they give me said drugs, and the stupid monitor alarms that hated the fact that I was fidgeting. They had to redo my IV, and it took them three people and about 20 min before they could get a new one going. The first time I was allowed to walk on my own several nurses at the nurses station waved pom-poms and did a little dance as I passed.

It turns out that Dilaudid and I don't have a good relationship, but my surgeon didn't want to change it. So I ended up using very little of what I was allotted (around 1%) and really didn't need it. I had more trouble with nausea, and still do occasionally three weeks out. I also had some crazy high blood sugar readings and required several insulin shots (while I have blood sugar issues, I've never needed insulin or had readings that high).

By the time I got home the afternoon of the third day, I was feeling pretty normal, just tired. I only really needed the heavier painkillers the first day I came home, and then to sleep for about a week and a half (I move around a lot when I sleep and would roll on my stomach). For a while I was eating the anti-nausea medication like candy, and still find I often need them in the morning. I was walking around the neighborhood by the next day, and on my bike within a week. I've been doing more vigorous cardio starting this week with only a little soreness. The doctor told me I could go run a marathon the day I got home if I was so inclined.

I ended up taking 2.5 weeks off, and wish I had taken less even with my friend and mom around (I live alone). Somewhere around 2 weeks I was texting my boss to ask if they needed help when I saw we had severe weather (I am a meteorologist). But I like my job, and don't still "still" well. Even on sick leave I was out working in my garden, and babying all the tasty vegetables that I can't eat yet.

This was a long ramble, but I talk a lot when I'm happy, and I've been happy! Plus I'm killing time until I need to relieve my co-worker at the desk ;)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery on a Wednesday morning and I was home by Thursday afternoon. I stopped taking the prescription pain meds Friday morning, after that I took Tylenol here and there for a couple of days. I really didn't have pain, but I was a little uncomfortable, which is normal under the circumstances. I felt pretty good though, and after a few days I was feeling like myself again. The first few weeks I tired out more easily than normal, but I just made sure I got enough rest. I went back to work after two weeks, and my doctor cleared me to go to the gym after 4 weeks. I am about 4 months out, I have had no problems, and nothing has disagreed with me. I feel better than I have felt in ages, and I can't say how happy I am that I made the decision to have the surgery!
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Had my surgery first thing on a Wednesday (they also fixed a hiatal hernia), was up walking that night and was released Friday early morning (before breakfast). My insurance wouldn't pay for expensive pain killer, but I had Vicodin at home that I cut in half and took the first couple of days. I am really lucky that I have not had any nausea up to this point (14 days post-op). I did take some of the cramping prescription.

Please be sure to splint with a pillow when getting up and down. My daughter was to come and spend the weekend with me but lives out-of-state and there was a huge storm, so I was alone. Even with the pillow I really could have used help getting up and down so as not to put too much strain/pressure on my abdomen.

Other than that, I feel really good. I am already in the habit of eating 5-6 small meals/snacks a day and have set up myfitnesspal accordingly. I have been very vigilant about completing this every day with the facts, so I can have an accurate record. I have not had any trouble getting my protein, but am still only at an average of 500 calories or less daily.

Have my post-op appointment tomorrow 2/20/14) with my surgeon and expect to be able to move on to pureed and crispy foods. I also exercise on my elliptical duo trainer recumbent (seat and back) bike almost daily anywhere from 15-30 minutes, depending on how I feel. It is set up in the dining room because I got rid of my table that I never use. I can read if I don't work my arms, or watch TV if I do arms at the same time. This has been the best machine I have ever purchased. It's comfortable and you forget you are even exercising. It was not expensive, only about $200 and well worth the money. My brother put it together for me very easily.
  • ambrosia79
    ambrosia79 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    First thing I remember is laying in recovery, rolling my head back and forth and moaning because of the nausea. I always get nauseated by anesthesia. By the time I was in my room, nausea had been alleviated, I felt a little pain, but was in good spirits. I only needed pain meds a few time in the next 2 days while I was in the hospital. I mainly needed them at night to help me get to sleep. I occasionally needed a Percocet for about 3 days after I got home. By a week out, I felt normal except some soreness at the biggest incision. I was wearing jeans again at 1 week out. I'm 3 weeks out now and I feel 100% normal, even better actually. I already have more energy. I am already back to jogging a little. I have good restriction, but I have no problems eating. Everything I have tried has gone down well as long as I don't eat too fast (purees at this point). I already love my sleeve!
  • Syndigutez5
    Syndigutez5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your stories, I loved reading all of them. Thank you Syn.