New to this group

Junglejoyce
Junglejoyce Posts: 49 Member
Hi. I am new to this group. I have been swinging kettlebells for about a year, after reading Tracy Reifkinds book "The Swing" Really helped me learn the right way, so I never got hurt. I have shoulder issues, but no problems with the swing. I do have problems with using any kind of weight above my head so the snatch is out...at least with more than 5#. I am looking for others who are into kettlebells for some mutual support.

Replies

• KHattley
    KHattley Posts: 59 Member
    Hi!

I love kettlebells and have been swinging for about 3 years now. I posted this routine recently and it's great to do at home. There are some snatches but you could easily swap these for another exercise:

We were introduced to this in our KB classes but it's a great workout to do at home.

Set a timer for 20 mins - perform as many rounds as you can of the following movements using one kettlebell:

- 10 reps KB deadlifts
    - 10 press ups
    - 10 reps KB snatch (5 on each arm)
    - 10 press ups
    - 10 reps KB 2 arm swing
    - 10 press ups
    - 10 reps KB goblet squats
    - 10 press ups

I did this with an 8kg KB 6 times in 20 mins but had a quick drink of water in between each set. 10 reps doesn't sound like much but with all those press ups in between you really start to feel it - promise! I probably only did about half of them as full press ups so my aim is to try and be able to do them all as full ones rather than the box ones.

Enjoy!!
  • dwebbqt
    dwebbqt Posts: 20 Member
    I'm new to the group too. I also got started with Tracy Reifkind. I also have neck/shoulder problems. Broke my neck 33 years ago. At the time they told me to never lift weights or do anything that really used my shoulders/neck except swimming. I've not been close to an indoor pool so that was out. 30 years later I find out that I should have been doing some kind of strength training all along. Anyway, heard Tracy on Half Size Me podcast and wanted so badly to try them. Did research, watched her on youtube, started pricing kettlebells, was soooo ready. Found out my husband had cancer and because of surgery and then radiation he couldn't work, so no income. Kettlebells were put on hold. He bought me some at Aldi's. 5, 10 and 15 lbs. Perfect for someone with neck problems. I LOVE the swing!! I'm still working on Tracy's OTM youtube workout. I can't believe what a difference it has made. Just so awesome!! I also can't believe that at 51 years old I'm finally doing something like this, but it's sooo doable. I get very excited on kettlebell day. I'm doing the swing every other day. Do yoga on the opposite day. Walk at least 11000 steps each day.