Do you use bleached coffee filters? Or the brown ones ?

Options
I just got a new coffeemaker, but read that the white filters contain bleach. i order bulletproof coffee and am thinking whats the point if im gonna Run it through a bleached filter, right ?im asking this bc they're a little hard to find. But whole foods is 30 mins away. Opinions ? Thanks

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee but my hub does. He uses the natural non-bleached ones.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm using unbleached 60% bamboo ones. imo what we buy is a vote for what we expect from companies. It matters. It's not just that bleach is still in the filter it's that the processing of paper products to make them nice and white is detrimental all around (environment and our body).

I order my bamboo mix ones from Amazon.ca, I'm sure you could probably get them, or something else, in the US through Amazon.com, free shipping. Bamboo is especially good because it grows so fast and so prolific compared to trees. (bamboo is a grass). Obviously they are still 40% paper.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    We use the gold-filter, it is permanent reusable type, it lets through some very small solids but works great.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    french press :)
  • kwilson18
    kwilson18 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Gold filter here, too.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Seconding a french press here. Never need to buy filters again.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    French press is great… but it's not good for coffee grounds to go down the sink. Dumping it in a bucket got old when it tipped over in the house. I use bamboo filter in a manual drip cone holder that sits above a cup. Coffee makers almost always have plastic components. But yeah, the reusable stuff is the best all around as long as one doesn't end up clogging their drains. (Complete urban myth that coffee grounds are good for drains, and we have indoor sewage tank so the grounds can pile up in there as well.)
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    We also press and it is wonderful but for our size group we have to brew big batches and mixed batches (too many people in this house) so the gold filter works for that too.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yeah I dump the grounds from my press in the garbage, also they go good in compost if you have one, or a little bit goes a long way in any potted plants you might have.