New to the community?

Options
Hope I'm not overstepping my bounds by adding a Newcomers Thread, but I didn't see one already in existence and thought it would be a great place for everyone who comes in to introduce themselves.

I'll start --

Hi, my name is Misty, and I want my teenage body back! Okay, okay, as I'm about to turn 40 in April I know I won't actually have a teenagers body, but I do miss being thin, and I'm starting to develop a hanging jowl (which has GOT to go!)

I originally started MFP in September, but 2 days after I started, I got hit by a truck which actually drove over my ankle (and broke it). After having surgery and being in a boot for months, I'm still in physical therapy, but I'm starting to be able to walk a decent distance now. Just yesterday I took the bus to Macy's Saturday Sale, and bought myself a pair of interview shoes/boots. (They look just like professional shoes under my black slacks). So I'm officially getting around again!

Sadly my hips were 44 inches back in September, and after being fairly immobile for all these months, they are now 47 inches =(

But I am determined, and I know this will work, as I've done it before after having 2 kids. I used a similar system of keeping track of my daily calories and some exercise and lost a fair amount of the weight I gained back then, and kept it off for years. I guess I started slacking, but no more!

And this time, I'm eventually going to work myself up to a lot of exercise and strength training. I want to actually get strong and be able to do push ups and pull ups and all that jazz because I love the way toned arms and a toned body look. I'm going to get all the way back to my ideal weight this time, and actually be super fit!

Hoping to make some friends along the way!

Replies

• crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I'm so sorry about your ankle. Welcome to the board. My name is Tracy and I've been here for about a month. My journey has been slow, but I'm determined to stick with it no matter what. I'm still working on getting the food straight and I'm doing a small amount of exercise. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Tonton14
    Tonton14 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Misty! Hi Tracy! I am new here, my name is Tonya. I am a 45 year old mom, grandma, caregiver and wife. I am determined as well to get back to health. Life has been changing so fast the last few years and my body has just been along for the ride and has suffered.

A little back ground, I work in healthcare at a hospital a unit assistant caring for people, I am the primary caregiver for my grandma who was sadly been diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia. I had to take a leave of absence at work to care for her full time; it has been an intense few months.

Things are calming down so I have had a chance for some self care. I have had to learn the hard way that you can not help others if you don't help yourself! I know someone in healthcare should know that right?? Well know and DOING are two different worlds so three cheers for doing.

I am very motivated to feel better and lose about 15 lbs along the way.

Hope you girls are doing great! Please feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • girlpaint
    girlpaint Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everyone. I'm Guin (yes, it's short for Guinevere...thanks, Dad). My husband and I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico. We've changed our lives a lot, particularly health-wise, in the past two years. I've suffered with low back pain for the past five or so years, and just recently have found some relief by adding 20 minutes of yoga to my routine (almost) every morning.

I'm looking to continue to get healthier, happier and in better shape. I'd like to shed some pounds, yes, but I'm really shooting for a smaller waist, hips and thighs. If that equals less weight, great, but if not, just continuing to improve and like what I see in the mirror suits me just fine.

Glad to be here with all you lovely people! Let the journey continue... :smile:

Options
    Welcome to the community, and considering your battle with a truck gotta say you are 1 tough girl, but in a good way of course. As for me I have been on MFP little over a year and and it has worked well for me. I have gotten a bit more serious with it this year and just decided I want to get in the best shape of my life and well try to make 40 look good on me.. :smile: Life changes are not always easy but they can be worth the effort.
  • Evelynnn2014
    Options
    Hello all! I'm Evelyn (with a long E sound) and I started with this site yesterday and am pretty excited about it. It's easy to do and actually allows me to eat (a certain amount) without guilt. I am currently 40, and my metabolism sure ain't what it used to be, darn it! In the last 2 years I've actually dieted twice (something new to me), but both times I get bored with the diet and quickly gain all the weight back. I even contemplated, maybe I should just allow myself to fatten up and continue to enjoy food. But I reach a certain weight or try on clothes and scream (in my head) "I just can't do it!". So, I just discovered this site and am hopeful. Please feel free to friend me, and we can encourage one another. BTW, I totally can relate to the jowl comment, unfortunately, so pretty funny to hear that! I've started taking pictures with my face looking up high! :laugh:
  • MamaC977
    MamaC977 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Howdy! Yep, I'm from Austin, Texas! My name is Cheryl. I have been off and on with MFP, but got serious with it about a month ago. I am 45 and have been diabetic for about 10 years. Recently my levels have been going up and I have really have to get on top of them before they start doing damage to my body that it can't come back from. I am also tired of looking the way I look. Fat and Sassy ain't all it's cracked up to be!

I'm glad to be a part of a group to I can feel accountable to and able to help as I can.
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    Hi there! I just joined this group today. I love the 40's except for the weight loss part and health issues. I know these can all be fixed it's just a lot harder than it once was!
  • Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Jeff, a 46 year old from eastern Canada. I've been kickin around mfp for almost a couple of years. Always looking for new friends to inspire me and hopefully inspire a few myself :)
  • ladyengineer
    ladyengineer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new to this group and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a full-time working mom with 4 kids, 16, 15, 8, and 6. Needless to say, I'm swamped and overly busy. I am about 50lbs overweight due to poor eating, fast eating, and not having enough time to take care of myself. I'm on a mission to regain my curves! I had my last 2 babies late in life and haven't been able to recover. I quit smoking about 3 years ago and also added on weight because of that. I'm taking back my life and am in it for the long run.