Kids and counting...

Options
tangogem
tangogem Posts: 16 Member
So how do you approach your kids about counting calories, or WHY you count?
Recently, my step daughters' mom expressed concern to their father (my main squeeze) that the oldest girl (10yrs old) has mentioned things about the amount of calories in certain foods. The youngest (8yrs old) hasn't said anything.
Both girls know I count, and I've explained that calories are like coal in a steam engine and that your body needs calories to function (and extra calories get stored in your caboose!) I thought I was careful in my word choice when I explained what it is I'm doing, as I did not want them to believe I was calling myself "fat", or obsessing over every little calorie. Their mom believes they are impressionable and is worried about them creating negative body images.
So do you count in secret?
Carry on as normal?
I'd hate to think that my journey in weight loss is having a negative impact on my kids :(

Replies

• laurasaintlouis
    laurasaintlouis Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have a 12 year old and I am just explaining to her that I am trying to be healthier. I was 20 lbs over what my bmi said I should be and I wanted to lose it to be healthy.
  • tangogem
    Options
    I'd like to think their mom is a bit jealous too ;)
  • carla113
    carla113 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My oldest is 6, and they took a field trip to the grocery store and learned a little about food labels. He's also seen me looking at them, and I've explained to him the reason behind looking at the labels - it's all about energy. A calorie is just energy or fuel. You have to decide how you fuel your body just like you decide how you fuel your car - there are good choices and not so good choices. With my kids, I've been very honest, but try not to talk about losing weight in front of them. I try to address it as that I am just making healthier choices so that I can be the best mama that I can be!
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My kids are 3 and 4 and the 4 year old is old enough to help me cook now. We cook together so he understands what goes into the food and which parts do what, like what protein is for, etc. It helps me to get him to eat more variety. I HATE it when I see fit moms with overweight kids. I don't think there's anything wrong or shameful about teaching kids about nutrition and exercise and you shouldn't let anyone make you feel bad about it. It's basic math and science and it's disappointing that we've gotten to such a stigma that lean people are now shamed and made the bad example. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for being healthy or teaching the kids to be healthy. Now, if you were making the kids eliminate food groups or something, I could understand their other mom's concerns, but it sounds like you are just setting a good example with your own health.
  • tangogem
    Options
    Yes I agree, I've NEVER mentioned anything about losing weight. I also don't dictate to them what they should or shouldn't eat...I'm not their actual parent. I don't roll my eyes, scoff or imply anything negative in their food choices.
    I think once there was a bottle of ranch dressing on the table and I mentioned "holy! That's a lot of calories!" (Insert explanation of why our bodies need calories here) So then it turned into a game , they were looking at ketchup, pickles, anything that had a food label.
    It's eating me up inside (no pun intended!!) because I really love the girls and for someone to say my actions could be harming them, well I took great offence to that. Thanks for letting me rant here everyone :)