Medifast, Cycling and "Carb-cycling"

Hi, there. I did a round of medifast back in November/December and I lost twenty pounds. I've kept it off during my hiatus from medifast in January through mid-Februrary. (Unfortunately I had to have surgery and that took me out of the game.) Well, here I am, healthy and ready for round two. I've been back on for six days, with a couple bumps and minor mishaps, but fine-tuning as I go. I am exercising immediately. I am a very active person and the last round I felt like I lost a lot of momentum from withdrawing exercise. So this time I am continuing at my current pace (cycling 3 times a week, and day-hiking at least once a week). Subsequently, my energy needs are higher. I have mostly been eating more protein to make up the deficit. Sometimes I add a little more carbs. I am wondering if any one has heard of cyclic ketogenic methods (AKA carb-cycling) and if this can be applied to the medifast diet. The essential premise is that you replenish your glycogen stores which are depleted from high-intensity exercise, and help promote muscle growth, by eating more carbohydrates. I think traditionally that the "refeeding" or high carb days are a significant increase. However, I was considering doing this on a smaller scale. When I stick perfectly to plan, I usually fall around 85 grams. Maybe my high carb days would be in the 100-110 range? Anyways, I thought I would throw that out there and see if anyone has heard of this or tried it. I like to experiment and find the program that works for my body. Medifast has worked, but so does exercise. And if I can't combine the two successfully, I will give up medifast in favor of exercise and a vegetarian diet.

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    You'd be better off doing medifast 4+2 or just follow the healthy habits and eat at a deficit.
  • _benjammin
    And yes, I know what carb cycling is/does. It doesn't play well with medifast.
  • thebalanceline
    thebalanceline Posts: 52 Member
    Does the 4+2 take you into the "fat-burning" stage? Doesn't look like there is any restrictions on carbs, but still similar to the 5+1 as far as macronutrient distribution. The short description of the plan says it includes those who exercise more than 45 min a day, but I am usually only exercising four days a week, since I work 12 hr shifts for the other 3 days of the week. I think the problem I am running into is that I am ravenous after cycling or hiking and carbs are what my body thinks it wants. I don't know anymore, and I'm wondering if this is the right program for me still if I want to maintain my current level of exercise. But I've also got a couple hundred dollars of food lying around so I am not going to put that to waste, and I know medifast works when sticking to plan. Maybe I am just trying to have my cake and eat it too. It just seems weird to have to drop exercise to make a diet work.
  • _benjammin
    If you eat a calorie deficit and exercise you'll burn fat. If you want to stay in ketosis you gotta stay under about 100g carbs. I sacrificed lengthy strenuous exercises (and lost muscle) on 5+1. I seemed to lose more weight if carbs were less than 80g . I've been in "maintenance" for 11 months and still regularly order many "5" meals for snacks.
  • thebalanceline
    thebalanceline Posts: 52 Member
    Thanks _benjammin. I think I've accepted the plan more or less. I have 30 more pounds to lose, which shouldn't take very long if I just do it.... and THEN I can get back to the intensity workouts I love. This week I have tried doing both and I was SO fatigued during cycle. haha, makes sense if I am only eating 850 calories or so, and burning 500. Not sustainable. So I think I'm still going to cycle, but on a much lower level. And after more research on the carb-cycling method, it seems like you'd be putting your body into a frenzy all the time!
  • _benjammin
    I' ve been intermittent fasting ~7/~17 and tried daily carb/fat cycling since May, trying to lean gain. Just recently quit the cycling. Not sure what I think about it personally and the "science" is iffy. I'm trying a once a week refeed now.