Are shirataki noodles Primal/Paleo?

Options
SteamClutch
SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
I have been looking at these and was wondering if these qualify as Primal or Paleo. I have not seen them on any ones list of "stay away" foods but I also have not seen them talked about anywhere recently. They do not seem to be highly processed but I am getting ready to make a Pho base for my lunches next week and thought they may add to the meals structure and authenticity.

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, they should be okay as long as they do not replace "more nutritious foods," per Mark Sisson. Also, do not buy the ones that add tofu as a filler for texture, that would be forbidden. The miracle noodle brand is soy free, gluten free, calorie free and carb free or 1g max for the entire bag. Because the noodles are 97% water, with the main ingredient of konjac root, the ingredient list should be minimal. Hope this helps.

CC
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them. I do have some kelp noodles that barely have any calories or carbs, or anything really. I haven't tried them yet but I'm guessing they have little taste but will be high in minerals. I think sea vegetables are very much worth trying to include in one's diet but where they are sourced from is important. These, Sea Tangle, are a product of the US BUT due to the loopholes in labelling currently, they can say that if it was processed in the US even if sourced from China. Oh well.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I use sea kelp noodles and they are great..like a glass rice noodle..no taste and different texture(I like the texture a lot).
    I also have some sea spaghetti from Brittany in France.
    I think if the source is good,like Akima said,it's a good thing..we could all do with more high quality sea veggies in our diets.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I know this is a paleo/primal question but I will often times fall back on Whole30 rules when it comes to "processed" foods like this. Here is the take from the whole30 forums and I tend to lean towards that.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1831-shirataki-noodles/

I would much prefer to eat spiralized veggies or cabbage noodles. I admit I am slightly on the fence about the kelp noodles. They sound interesting and nutritious, which I think is why I am on the fence about them and not shirataki noodles. Where are the nutrients in the shirataki? Also the kelp noodles are raw but, how much processing do they have to do to the kelp to get them to noodle? Hmmmm...interesting conundrum! This is the exact reason why paleo/primal is so hard to define, so many grey areas and so many differing opinions :)
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    Thanks to all of you, I will look into the kelp noodles and I understand where the whole30 comes from and I am not into substitutions either. I bought a curling tool for my Pho dish and my wife seems to have lost it. I am trying to make a Pho dish that will last all week so these seemed perfect even though I already bought the Zucchinis for the soup.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Thanks to all of you, I will look into the kelp noodles and I understand where the whole30 comes from and I am not into substitutions either. I bought a curling tool for my Pho dish and my wife seems to have lost it. I am trying to make a Pho dish that will last all week so these seemed perfect even though I already bought the Zucchinis for the soup.

If you master the PHO recipe, please do share. It would be nice to have a Paleo version!
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've always been interested in kelp noodles but unsure where to buy them. I've tried Miracle Noodles and they're ok.
    If you master the PHO recipe, please do share. It would be nice to have a Paleo version!

This isn't necessarily "pho," but it's a very tasty Vietnamese noodle recipe from the MIracle Noodles website. I've just adapted it so here's my version. I've used thin zucchini noodles as well as spaghetti squash for the noodles. The cardamom gives it a very unique flavor.

3 cups organic reduced sodium chicken stock
    3 clove garlic, minced
    1 tsp minced ginger
    1/2 tsp cardamom
    1 boneless, skinless chicken breast sliced crosswise into 1/8 slices

1 cup bean sprouts
    1/2 lime, cut in half
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    1/2 cup Thai or regular basil
    2 scallions, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
    1 cup noodles (zucchini, spaghetti squash, Miracle Noodles, etc)

1/3 cup of mushrooms-any variety (optional)
    1 thinly slice chili pepper with seeds removed (optional)
    1 tsp Siracha (optional)
    1 tsp coconut aminos (optional)
    1 tsp chili sauce(optional)

1. In a 3 quart saucepan, bring chicken stock to a boil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger and cardamom and mushrooms (if using) and let simmer for 10 minutes.
    2. Prepare noodles as normally would (zucchini, spaghetti squash, Miracle Noodles, etc). Divide noodles into 2 bowls.
    3. Add chicken to stock and let cook for 5 minutes(until completely cooked)
    4. Pour soup into bowls over the noodles. Divide bean sprouts between 2 soup bowls then top each serving with the scallions, basil, and cilantro.
    5. Garnish bowls with a slice of lime and add optional flavor enhancers (siracha, coconut aminos, or chili sauce).
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Awesome, thanks much!
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This isn't necessarily "pho," but it's a very tasty Vietnamese noodle recipe from the MIracle Noodles website. I've just adapted it so here's my version. I've used thin zucchini noodles as well as spaghetti squash for the noodles. The cardamom gives it a very unique flavor.

Looks good, will def try making this sometime this week. Thanks for sharing!!
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    Mine is similar to yours, but I made the bone broth a few weeks back from a whole chicken carcass (made a chicken chili with the meat). then I used a pork loin as the meat in this so far it taste good with out the fresh veggies in it, I will be bringing it for lunches this week so cutting up the fresh stuff in the morning. They had the shirataki noodles at Whole Foods but I passed on them, no kelp noodle though :frown: I will stick to zoodles for now.