Ground Beef Recipes to Maximize Protein Intake

Options
Anyone have a favorite, healthy, ground beef recipe that maximizes protein?

Here is two of our household's favorite.

Jason's Chili:

1 can low sodium diced tomatoes
1 - 2 lb ground hamburger
1 tsp fresh minced garlic
1/2 onion, diced
black pepper, to taste
2 cans low sodium pre-seasoned chili beans
1 can low sodium kidney beans or pinto beans
Gebhardt's chili powder (Can use any, but we like the flavor of this specific one the best)

Brown hamburger, onion, and black pepper in pan. I prefer to make it crispy, so it doesn't get too soft when mixed together. Drain and rinse when done, especially if fattier than 90/10. Add tomatoes, garlic, un-rinsed chili beans, and rinsed kidney/pinto beans with chili powder to taste. Cook on low for about an hour, stirring occasionally. The longer it cooks the more the flavors marry. If you want a little more flavor, maybe a little more fat, you can add cherizo, too, just make it an equal amount or more of the beef. We used to put cherizo in our chili, until we started getting a sweeter batch of cherizo for some reason.

Taco Soup:
1 - 2 lbs ground beef or elk (ground turkey, ground chicken, or even shredded chicken breast would work)
1 can pinto beans, rinsed
1 can kidney beans, rinsed
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can low sodium diced tomatoes
1 can diced fire roasted green chiles
2 - 4 bottles water (I prefer the bottled water in my soups for some reason)
1 envelope McCormick's low sodium taco seasoning
1 envelope McCormick's low sodium chili seasoning or Gebhardt's chili powder, to taste
1 tsp fresh minced garlic
black pepper to taste

Brown meat with onion, garlic powder, and black pepper (I prefer the ground meat browned to almost crispy). Rinse. Mix ingredients, cook for about 20 - 40 minutes. Serve with some 2% shredded cheese, maybe some salsa, chopped green onions, and/or fat free sour cream.

I think that you could add rice to this dish if you choose, it wouldn't detract from the dish but it would add even more carbs when there are a lot of carbs in the beans and I really try to eliminate any excess carbs.

Replies

• imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Skinny Lasagna Rolls: Easy and very good recipe
    Ingredients:
    8 Lasagna noodles
    Spinach (recipe calls for 10oz frozen but I used fresh & chopped) prob about 3-4+ cups
    15oz part-skim ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 egg
    1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
    1/8 S&P (salt & pepper)
    1/2 cup mozzarella (low fat if you like
    Jar of sauce (I used my sauce recipe w/ground beef- I don't like jar sauce)

PREHEAT oven 350.
    1. Cook noodles al dente. Drain and lay out on wax paper (parchment paper) or paper-towels to dry. I did 4 at a time.
    2. Mix in bowl: ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, S&P, Italian seasoning and spinach.
    3. Pour half of the sauce in casserole dish. (I made a meat sauce and seasoned the meat with garlic powder, onion powder, basil & Italian seasoning)
    4. Spread about 1/4 cup of the spinach mixture evenly over the noodle and roll up with the seam down and place in casserole dish. Once completed cover the rolls with remaining sauce.
    5. put mozz cheese on each roll
    6. cover loosely and bake for 40 minutes
  • my5pumpkins
    my5pumpkins Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The other day I was craving pizza really bad, but needed something with more protein and less carbs. This is what I came up with, I call it an open face flatbread pizza burger.

95/5 ground sirloin
    1/4 cup pizza sauce
    a serving of 2% (or fat free) mozzarella cheese
    1/2 of Josephs multi-grain flatbread
    Italian seasoning to taste

Brown the ground sirloin, add pizza sauce and Italian seasonings simmer a few minutes. Put mixture onto the flatbread, add cheese ( I also added a few hot peppers) and bake until cheese melts nicely!
    Mine was 328 filling calories!
  • missblissspa
    missblissspa Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers! (for 2)

2 Green bell pepper's
    1 lb Ground beef
    Egg (egg white)
    bread crumbs (a tablespoon if that)
    quarter of an onion
    2 small cans of tomato sauce
    salt
    pepper

I mix some chopped onion and a minced clove with bread crumbs in the ground beef. Mix by hand until it looks well like its blended. Cut the top of the pepper and stuff it with the meat. Place the pepper in a sauce pan big enough to fit the pepper in and cover and add tomato sauce (I use about 2 small cans and dump over the peppers). Cook on medium low for about 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
    90f02133-9fd2-40bc-aa5a-e4854bf95024_zpsb95369e7.jpg

You could choose to have brown rice but I choose not to have any rice..
    ENOY! :heart:

stuffpepperinfo_zps534fa30c.jpg
  • MaryCampanella
    Options
    Love the Joseph's flat bread!