Dumping Syndrome with Metformin

Options
If you take Metformin, have you experienced dumping syndrome with it? The symptoms are suden onset abdominal cramps, nausea, diarrhea, fast heart rate, sweating, feeling faint and more. It usually lasts for about 20 min. or so for me.

I experienced this twice when I first started my diet changes, both times an hour after a meal that must have had too many carbs. But yesterday, I experienced this during my lunch and I didn't have anything high carb. Baked chicken and veggies which were less than 20 carbs.

I'm being very careful with my diet, staying under my carb limit, logging everything and exercising 6 days a week. These "episodes" are quite disconcerting and disrupting. The one yesterday happened while I was at work which was very uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help prevent this? I'm searching online and everything says to avoid high carbs and sweets. Well, yeah, I'm already doing that.

Replies

• changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    the sweating, feeling faint, etc. could also be low blood sugar. Is it possible you didn't have enough carbs? It's so hard to find the right balance...
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Have you talked with your doctor about these symptoms? Metformin doesn't lower blood sugar levels right away like some other types of diabetes medications or insulin, and instead helps your body more effectively utilize glucose and reduces the amount of glucose the liver produces. Definitely look into this more with your physician. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have an appointment in 2 weeks and planned to bring it up but I'm still fighting with it this evening, so it may not be able to wait that long. I've only been at this for 10 weeks so it's all pretty new. I'm a RN but it's different being on the patient side.

I also had to stop taking a blood pressure med this week, as with the weight loss my b/p was now too low. It's certainly a delicate balance to find. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • WIHOCKEYFAN
    Options
    I use to have issues with Metformin when I first started to take it. My doctor switched me to the extended release. My body seems to deal with it much better. I know where you are coming from having issues at work. The restroom can't be close enough some days.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Sharon, you're so right that even when we have a good base of medical knowledge professionally, it's a lot different when we need to apply that knowledge to ourselves. I've worked with many RNs and even MDs who came for diabetes education once they were diagnosed themselves. It sounds like you're making good progress with changing your habits since you're losing weight and needed blood pressure medication changed! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I’m a little confused using metformin and “dumping Syndrome” together. From what I understand, dumping syndrome is a condition experienced by people who have had gastric surgery and is caused by food bypassing the stomach and going directly into the Intestines.. This can cause the symptoms you are describing.

Liver dump or Dawn Phenomenon is associated with diabetes in that, usually between 4 and 8 am, the liver “dumps” glucose into the blood stream, anticipating your awakening, that will raise your blood glucose readings over ten + points above your bedtime readings. This can cause Hyperglycemia.

The symptoms being (from WebMD):
    • Increased thirst
    • Headaches
    • Difficulty concentrating
    • Blurred vision
    • Frequent urination
    • Fatigue (weak, tired feeling)
    • Weight loss
    • Blood sugar more than 180 mg/dL

One of the treatments for Dawn Phenomenon is Metformin, not a cause of it.

Chuck
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Sharon, you've got a lot going on. I've had the same nausea, dizziness and fainting spell experience regarding the need to change my blood pressure meds, as a direct result of my weight loss. Discussing these episodes with my doctor enabled him to assess my situation, and make the necessary adjustment needed to address this specific med and it's effects.

My memory is faint now, I've been treating my diabetes with Metformin, in addition to other diabetes meds for 30+ years now, and don't recall having the abdominal issues you describe, when initially diagnosed. Each of us is unique which is one, if not, the most frustrating issues living with this condition to be sure.

To that end, many individuals experience the same abdominal discomfort you describe, and find using the extended release version of Metformin to be a more tolerable, if not a resolution to your discomfort. If you feel you'd rather not wait, and/or are experiencing too much discomfort, give your healthcare provider a call.

Wishing you a quick resolution!
  • SharonNehring
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm hoping my doc has some insight into these episodes. Next week will be my first follow up visit (and bloodwork) since diagnosis and embarking on this journey. I feel like a kid waiting for a report card. LOL
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    AT my job, we call it the "metformin run" cause when it hits, you don't have long to get to the bathroom. I went on extended release and it doesn't happen nearly as much!
  • Scorpiotwin
    Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I take Meformin as well and I know exactly what you are talking about. I will get so sick that I am racing to the bathroom. My Dr. originally had me on 4 pills a day of the standard Metformin. I was switched to time release last year. I have never been able to taken the full dosage because of the dumping issue. I find that Imodium works pretty well. Also real dry ginger ale works as well.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    If I take metformin after I eat, I don't seem to have the dumping effect.
  • SharonNehring
    Options
    The pharmacist did tell me to not take it on an empty stomach, but to "have a few crackers first". Since I was newly diagnosed, I found it ironic that he was telling me to take it with carbs.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    After 15 years of met it still sometimes happens to me. Yes, eating something, anything, before taking will help. So does the extended release. I have a friend who needed to take the 1000 mg instead of 2 500's ER so that the release was a little more controlled.

My other thought is have you taken your BG when this is happening? Sometimes I have strange swings that will cause nausea and disorientation along with shakiness. It is usually caused by a low. I take meds to increase insulin production because I don't make much. Sometimes my pancreas sputters to life and kicks out a little extra and I'll bottom out. I am becoming rather insensitive to it and have found myself in the 40s before feeling it and other times I'll be in my 70's when I feel it.

Did your Dr. adjust your meds or have any input?
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I’m a little confused using metformin and “dumping Syndrome” together. From what I understand, dumping syndrome is a condition experienced by people who have had gastric surgery and is caused by food bypassing the stomach and going directly into the Intestines.. This can cause the symptoms you are describing.

Liver dump or Dawn Phenomenon is associated with diabetes in that, usually between 4 and 8 am, the liver “dumps” glucose into the blood stream, anticipating your awakening, that will raise your blood glucose readings over ten + points above your bedtime readings. This can cause Hyperglycemia.

The symptoms being (from WebMD):
    • Increased thirst
    • Headaches
    • Difficulty concentrating
    • Blurred vision
    • Frequent urination
    • Fatigue (weak, tired feeling)
    • Weight loss
    • Blood sugar more than 180 mg/dL

One of the treatments for Dawn Phenomenon is Metformin, not a cause of it.

Chuck

I have the headaches