Shopping Around?

Options
NCMeg
NCMeg Posts: 57 Member
Has anyone considered replacing their BML with something else? I think I would rather have something a little more discrete. I like the idea of the new Polar Loop (waterproof, you can buy the chest strap and it's a HRM, no monthly fee). I'm more ok with the idea of an ugly bracelet than I am of the arm band. The downside is that it doesn't connect with MFP.

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope I love my BMF and there isn't anything on the market like it. A Polar is a HRM which is a different beast. I really don't care what people think of the arm band. It doesn't bother me. *shrug* :ohwell:
  • SewSweets
    SewSweets Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There may be things more discreet but they aren't going to be as accurate. I think the fact that the biggest loser contestants use it maybe give this an unappealing vibe for some people to want to wear it - but before it was popular on that show, it was worn by a lot of really fit people too just to track their calories burned etc. So I don't know. I have mixed feelings about wearing it I guess. But whatever - as long as it gets me to where I want to be I don't really much care.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    When I first starting wearing mine, my husband and I were about to head to the grocery store and he looked at my arm and asked me "are you really gonna wear that there" I told him "I'd rather be seen wearing an armband then seen rolling around on a automatic shopping cart because I'm too fat and lazy to walk" But with that said I am thinking of getting something more along the lines of a bracelet type device once I reach my goal weight. But until then, body media is just too awesome to trade in for anything else until I truly don't need it's help anymore.
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have looked around because I really hate the tan line during the summer. I've tried the Fitbit. It was reasonably accurate (10% less than BMF) during the summer when my activity was more step based but showed at least 30% less than BMF during the winter (when my activity isn't as step based). I would have been okay w/using the Fitbit if the winter results were the same as the summer results. I also tried the Basis band this winter and it showed about the same as the Fitbit (at least 30% less). So for now......................I'm sticking w/BMF (been 3+ years) and just wear it tucked in my bra bad during the summer (it reads about 10% less there).
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It's not the best fashion statement, but no one really sees it unless it's really warm outside or I'm working out.
    I've purchased 3 or 4 straps in different colors, and I've bought 2 skins so far... the latest is a quatrafoil black and white pattern. I uploaded the pic and I really like it. I debated all the other similar gadgets out there and this was the most complete - I couldn't see compromising data and potentially progress. I sometimes self tan at night and will take it off for that so I'm more evenly tan.

I guess since it's really working for me and I like it I don't really care what others think. I'd rather be thin/healthy with a band on my arm then overweight without one.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I looked at other products because the armband is really uncomfortable for me, but I couldn't find anything that was suitable. I ended up moving it to my leg, right below my knee. It still seems to be pretty accurate and it doesn't bother me the way it did on my arm, and no one has to see it. I never wear shorts, so it's perfect there.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    will not trade mine in but the Garmin Vivofit would be my choice for a bracelet and Garmin is more into apps so it may sync.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Saw this article earlier today http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/02/fitbit_force_recall_now_that_it_s_off_the_market_which_fitness_tracker_is.html -- Winner for them was the Misfit Shine...which I had never heard of before.

Not really interested in swapping out, as my friends with fitbits and fuelbands have all had problems with theirs, both in accuracy and in having them break.

I've never worried about the looks of it, and I am more likely to show it to people then they are to notice I am wearing it.
  • Kathrynrbg
    Kathrynrbg Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Only if there is a device more accurate than this one.
  • mpatriciatitus
    mpatriciatitus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually just ordered my Link today, because I'm impatient. But I have already pledged for the crowdfunded HealBe GoBe, which has a watch form-factor and says it will read calories in and out, as well as many other health stats. It's supposed to deliver in June, and at much less than retail if you fund now. Buyer beware -- crowdfunded projects have no guarantees, even if the well-funded ones usually get produced and delivered (also remember they're first-gen products and can get quickly replaced with improved versions). But HealBe hit their funding target in days and seem to be getting a lot of mainstream tech press.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/4300/20140312/move-over-jawbone-up24-healbe-gobe-fitness-wearable-makes-counting-calories-even-easier.htm
  • 3RMomma
    3RMomma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I stopped using my BMF about a year ago when I found out I was pregnant w/my 3rd... I just started to get back into the fitness game again and ended up purchasing a Garmin VIvofit for two reasons - one it is more inconspicuous and two no monthly fees. The BMF was a good tool, but I don't think it is worth the monthly fees.... I've had the VivoFit for about 5 days and love it
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I switched to FitBit Flex after 3 years of BMF (and no results) and for me it's way more accurate also. Customer service was awesome too. I had a charging issue with mine and they were very prompt to replace it, I didn't even have to return the defective one. Plus there is no monthly fee required to use it.