Homemade baby wipes

Options
igottaworkout
igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
I came upon this blog post on how to make your own baby wipes and wanted to share it because it's way cheaper and the commentators say it is less harsh on baby's bum. I am going to try making it but maybe with baby oil instead of coconut oil as I have that on hand :) I want to try them as makeup remover also and it looks like these would be flushable as it's just paper towels, baby wash and some kind of oil. Some people add a bit of tea tree oil or lavender oil to make them last longer.

http://www.thenewlighterlife.com/homemade-baby-wipes/

Replies

• kimberly_grubbs
    kimberly_grubbs Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I might just try this! I also really love the idea of using it for makeup remover too as I've never been able to rationalize buying the wipes specifically for that purpose. Thanks for sharing :)
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is magic stuff. It clears up a little rash so quickly (and smells yummy). Even to use it as baby lotion after a bath...
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I love this idea, going to make some for my little man this weekend!
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    We use cloth nappies and I got a great deal on a reusable wipe system called Cheeky Wipes. It came with 25 small facecloths to use as wipes, a plastic box to store them in when clean, a plastic box to put them in when dirty, and waterproof bags for carrying them in a diaper bag (one for clean and one for dirty) and lavender oil and tea tree oil. You put the tea tree oil in the dirty box and the lavender in with the clean. We used them for 2.5 years on our first until she was potty trained and they are still in great condition. I bet we saved nearly £200 in wipes over that time. It would be really easy to make your own up though with face cloths or cut flannel squares, some plastic boxes and waterproof bags. Since we use the cloth nappies anyway they all just go in the same wash.
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    We use cloth nappies and I got a great deal on a reusable wipe system called Cheeky Wipes. It came with 25 small facecloths to use as wipes, a plastic box to store them in when clean, a plastic box to put them in when dirty, and waterproof bags for carrying them in a diaper bag (one for clean and one for dirty) and lavender oil and tea tree oil. You put the tea tree oil in the dirty box and the lavender in with the clean. We used them for 2.5 years on our first until she was potty trained and they are still in great condition. I bet we saved nearly £200 in wipes over that time. It would be really easy to make your own up though with face cloths or cut flannel squares, some plastic boxes and waterproof bags. Since we use the cloth nappies anyway they all just go in the same wash.

Oooh, this is a good idea. We're doing cloth diapers too, and we've gotten about 32198032 baby washcloths as gifts; we could use some of those as wipes.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I like that idea too with the cloth wipes and just adding some of the solution to them to moisten them. I don't think I have enough cloths though, maybe I can stock up on some at the dollar store :)
  • MeanieD
    Options
    BUMP!

Yes! This sounds like a great solution - use the diaper wipe solution on pieces of cloth that I can buy from the fabric store. Has anyone tried it yet?
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I also want to do cloth diapers as well.

I have a friend who keeps a thermos of warm water and a paper towel-like cloth near the changing station and just uses that for baby wipes when she is at home.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I make cloth diapers and wipes! Its really easy to make your own from upcycled flannel bed sheets from the thrift store, old receiving blankets, or go to the fabric store and buy some cute flannel! If you don't have a sewing machine, just use pinking shears when you cut them. Most people like 8X8 inches. I made a special solution to start out with, but realized I was going through them so fast, that I just started using water! I keep most of them dry in a basket on the changing table and wet a handful at time with tap water and toss into a wipes warmer. I also love that you can tuck the cloth wipe right into the cloth diaper (like you'd do with a disposable diaper and wipe). :)