Am I really hungry??

Options
GrokRockStar
GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
I’m sitting at my desk and thinking about reaching for my mid-morning snack. I start to wonder if reaching for my snack is a routine, something that I’m supposed to do or am I truly hungry for it? I took a couple of sips of water and waited…I’m not hungry, so I’ve decided to wait until I am. It’s that simple!

As most of us here have some form of an eating issue, do ever truely feel hungry? I’ve been at it so long, I have no idea what it’s like to be hungry *sigh*

CC

Replies

• theBeesKnees35
    theBeesKnees35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate. I work a desk job 8-5 mon-fri and often struggle with the habit vs hunger eating issue. I've tried breaking the habit but with little success. Just read an article the other day that suggested the key to changing our habits was not to break our old ones but rather to create new ones.

Working on creating a new habit when I feel the urge to eat on schedule. Instead I'll drink a glass of water and take a 10 min brisk walk and tune in to my body to see if I'm truly hungry.

I often feel like that too.. like I've forgotten what it's like to be truly hungry. Part of it is fear based too, I'm terrified of being too hungry because I'm afraid I'll end up binging!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Brie,
    Good point about the fear! Although we know good and well that it’ll be okay if we don’t eat, we know how our brains work. I did just that, had some water, walked about a mile, then got back to my desk. I was a little winded, but not hungry. I’m glad that I’m not alone in this, so thanks for chiming in!

CC
  • brilliantcoe
    brilliantcoe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As a compulsive overeater, I think that my hunger/satiety meter is broken. Unless I am sick, or it has been a really long time since I last ate I never can tell. I tend to eat by the clock, breakfast, lunch and dinner. That works for me in combination with working my OA program.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    BrilliantCOE,
    If you have a routine that works for you, that's great! I have to add in snacks, which make it a bit more challenging, but doable. Perhaps your hunger meter is just dormant and not broken.
  • purplybob
    purplybob Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've had some success lately with the apple trick I read about somewhere. If I think I am hungry, I stop and ask myself "Am I hungry enough to eat a whole apple right now?" More often than not, I'm not so I don't snack!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Bob,
    what a neat trick, I'm going to try that!
  • jellis2014
    Options
    I don't trust my feeling of hunger, at least not at this point. I use the drinking water trick or doing an activity to distract me (this helps weed out the I'm bored hunger).
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Jellis, I don't trust mine either! Water usually works for me, but if I'm having an especially stressful day, that may not be enough. That's when I tune into a phone meeting (while at work) or call/text an OA buddy!
  • jellis2014
    Options
    It seems the harder I work towards being healthy and eating soberly, the more stress seems to find me. Maybe it's because I'm not coping with life with food anymore and everything just seems harder but really hasn't changed? My emotions are definitely more raw and out of control since I'm not eating them anymore.

I didn't like the person I was when I was drowning myself in food. But lately, I'm not liking the irritable, stressed out, emotional mess because I'm not abusing food person either. Some days it seems "easier" to go back to eating because I know how to do it and deal with life. I need to let go of wanting things to be easier and just push through it!
  • purplybob
    purplybob Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. Hard to sit and feel the feelings at times.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Lucky for us it's progress, not perfection. Today started out great, now it's rainy and gloomy. Before program, I would've reached for the comfort, forbidden food instead of working through what I'm truly feeling. It's okay to feel crappy, angry, sad, whatever... as long as we work through the root issue. It's much easier to stuff my face than go to uncomfortable places, but we all know that in the long run, we can't get away with it. This disease will rear its ugly head in some form.