Alcohol

Options
butterfli7o
butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
Any fellow Paleo people drink? And yes, I'm aware that alcohol is not really Paleo...but it's something I don't really want to give up. However, I'm finding lately that weight loss is not really happening...and thinking that is the culprit. I know what I have to do....just wondering if I'm the only drinker? What do you guys drink, how many drinks do you limit it to, etc?

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I used to drink. A lot. I used to "need" it just to socialize. Now I accept that I'm not a social person and I've stopped doing that.

Are you drinking to get drunk or do you just have a few and call it an evening? Over-indulgence isn't healthy, for anyone, Paleo or not. Not being willing to go without is a bad sign as well. Have you ever taken an extended break from it? As in not committing to quit forever, but just choosing to eliminate it for six months and see what happens? I would highly recommend it.

I like an occasional glass of red wine. I am all out right now and live in a community where alcohol is not available locally and is restricted. It's super expensive to get and jumping through the hoops and getting permission just rubs me the wrong way, so mostly I just live without. I have a friend who brings over vodka and I look forward to it because we don't do it often, but boy do I pay for it no matter how little I have..... When I do drink vodka I crave carbs for days after and it can take me a week to get on track so obviously it's not something I want to do more than once every two months. I've even learned to go to bed when I've had enough. But no matter how little I have I still wake up sick (if it's spirits). If I stick to wine, once I rehydrate I'm usually feeling not too bad.

Regardless of over-indulgence or not, it definitely slows my weight loss and negatively impacts my health.

I think a truly healthy Paleo lifestyle does not include alcohol. It should be a very occasional treat and handled responsibly. Waking up sick is a message in neon lights- I'm thinking I need to give up spirits completely because they kick my butt and it doesn't make sense to consume something that makes me so sick.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I only drink on the weekends...and I don't necessarily drink to get drunk, I just like a good glass of wine (or two or three) I suppose. I gave it up for 30 days when I did my Whole30 in January, so it's not that I "need" it...but just like coffee, it's something I like to have. I suppose I need to work on it, and on not making it a part of the "norm". I do get the occasional hangover but it's not a weekly thing. My big thing is that I didn't want everything I'm doing to go down the drain because of alcohol. Sigh...
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a good glass of wine or two as well. Almost always red wine. I have what is called "Wine Wednesday"...my little hump day reward. I'll have a glass of wine on Wednesday night, maybe one or two on the weekend as well. I also occasionally have a margarita. I've been experimenting with what I can mix tequila with that is not horrible. I know the premade mixes are just full of sugar, but that's what I use and it's meant as a treat. And of course the ones in restaurants are most ikely worse.

I know I can do without it, because I have before, but I enjoy it. I don't see any reason to cut it out entirely. It doesn't derail me. I think as long as you're not overdoing it, it's fine.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I only drink on the weekends...and I don't necessarily drink to get drunk, I just like a good glass of wine (or two or three) I suppose. I gave it up for 30 days when I did my Whole30 in January, so it's not that I "need" it...but just like coffee, it's something I like to have. I suppose I need to work on it, and on not making it a part of the "norm". I do get the occasional hangover but it's not a weekly thing. My big thing is that I didn't want everything I'm doing to go down the drain because of alcohol. Sigh...

Since you've already pointed out that it's affecting you, perhaps every week is too often? Whether we think we are "over-doing" it or not it's possible that the body is sending us a clear message.

Every week is way too often for me (ONE glass of wine is ok) and even once per month doesn't work for me (spirits). Sometimes I still ignore what I know is right but the longer I'm on my Paleo journey the more important it is to stay feeling well. I enjoy the buzz of alcohol less and less over time but still seem resistant to just call it quits for good. In light of how crappy spirits make me feel, no matter how little I consume, I am thinking of sticking to red wine from now on.

My weight loss has stalled anyway; I think if I were drinking on a regular basis I would start to store fat again. Staying the same weight is a heck of a lot better than gaining.

There's no justifying that alcohol is Paleo. Like other non Paleo treats it's usually best to only enjoy occasionally. How often that "occasionally" can be varies greatly from person to person.
  • annoel
    annoel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I drink red wine every night. I know Mark Sisson says it's ok. But lately I feel it's just a bad habit. I recently joined You Booze, You Snooze.
    I'm not willing to completely give up wine or Martinis. Just thinking about imbibing on Saturday night. And going from there.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    There's no justifying that alcohol is Paleo.

Have to disagree with you, Akima - or at least qualify it.

Fermented fruit juice has been around for as long as there has been fruit juice ready to 'go bad'. I've often seen birds kicking up their heels after eating waaay overripe berries. So, by extension you can say that wine is at least marginally paleo - one might quibble over the amount of processing necessary to produce 1000 cases of a decent pinotage, but one could also quibble over the production involved to get that coconut milk from plantation to can.

I will totally agree with you, however that distillables (hard liquors) are not paleo - because it is not a whole food, and neither are brewables (beers and ales).

That being said, I have a decent wine cellar, I do enjoy the occasional 12 year old scotch, and go to our local brewfest each year. The wine is paleo enough to be included in the 'moderate' category (like sweet potatoes); the others fall into the 'indulgence' category of Sisson's 80/20 rule.

Of course - everyone else's mileage may vary. ;)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    There's no justifying that alcohol is Paleo.

Have to disagree with you, Akima - or at least qualify it.

Fermented fruit juice has been around for as long as there has been fruit juice ready to 'go bad'. I've often seen birds kicking up their heels after eating waaay overripe berries. So, by extension you can say that wine is at least marginally paleo - one might quibble over the amount of processing necessary to produce 1000 cases of a decent pinotage, but one could also quibble over the production involved to get that coconut milk from plantation to can.

I will totally agree with you, however that distillables (hard liquors) are not paleo - because it is not a whole food, and neither are brewables (beers and ales).

That being said, I have a decent wine cellar, I do enjoy the occasional 12 year old scotch, and go to our local brewfest each year. The wine is paleo enough to be included in the 'moderate' category (like sweet potatoes); the others fall into the 'indulgence' category of Sisson's 80/20 rule.

Of course - everyone else's mileage may vary. ;)

^Totally agree. However, I take issue with justifying alcohol just because one likes it, especially if it does cause problems or one over-indulges frequently. And I have to wonder if there are any wines that resemble the natural fermented fruits that our ancestors would have gotten into, and I doubt it happened very often. Some people would have never had access to wine; poor past Inuit people. But they did eat fermented meat, fat, organs. Yum. :/

It would be interesting to make one's own wine... it's on my wish list of things to do some day. I LOVE red wine but I'd love it even more if I knew it was of the best quality.
  • rulestobreak
    Options
    I'm VERY new to the paleo diet (as in, within the last week.) I've tried it before, but this is my first time going completely full-force with it. I, too, kind of refuse to give up my wine. I haven't done a Whole 30 for this exact reason. All of my friends drink; I live in one of the "drunkest" cities in the nation, the industry I'm in perpetuates drinking, and I love a good glass of red wine. I haven't weighed myself yet, because I told myself I was doing this to get healthy, not to lose weight (though I'm hoping that's a perk.) I think a big thing, honestly, is the poor food choices we make when we're drunk....there's nothing I want more than a pizza. So I try to keep it at a healthy level, but I'm not heavily in enough (obviously) to know how it's really going to affect me. I do know that, when I did Atkins (though I could never stick to it,) I continued to lose weight, despite still drinking.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I like hard cider, personally. I think if you're gunna drink try to opt for something gluten-free. Personally it definitely messes with my weight loss. But I'm not going to rule something out completely ever. It's more of just understanding how it interacts with your system. It might set you back from your goals, but maybe sometimes that's worth it. If it's an every weekend kind of thing, then you sort of have to think is it worth it? If it is, enjoy! If not, life can be good without it :)
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    I take issue with justifying alcohol just because one likes it
    Eh. 'Because I like it' is as good a reason to ingest something as anything else. If I know the plusses and minuses (alcohol IS actually a poison, etc.) and choose to indulge anyway - my choice. If I try to call it 'paleo' in an attempt to give it some legitimacy, then you're right - which is why I tried to qualify your statement. Fermented grape juice (or any fruit - I've got a couple of killer bottles of nectarine wine in the cellar) is broadly paleo. Distilled and brewed liquors are manufactured foods, OTOH. I choose to have the occasional crust of bread, knowing the issues; I also choose to have the occasional flagon of mead.
    especially if it does cause problems or one over-indulges frequently.
    But see, that is not the problem of the product - that's the problem of the consumer. Wine is still moderately paleo whether you are a teetotaler or drunkard.
    And I have to wonder if there are any wines that resemble the natural fermented fruits that our ancestors would have gotten into
    "I crushed the fruit, and squeezed the liquid from the pulp. I then worked the liquid to provide a quality end-result."

Describes wine. But it also describes coconut milk - the extract from the grated meat of a coconut, and a staple of the paleo movement. Fermented fruit would only be mildly alcoholic - less than beer. But we humans have always figured out how to synthesize a natural process.

But it's moot. Alcohol is a poison - it's not paleo. So is salt in sufficient doses (buh bye, bacon), alkaloids (buh bye, tomatoes) and many other foods. You learn the facts and make the choices - we're all gonna die of something. No one gets out of here alive.
    It would be interesting to make one's own wine... it's on my wish list of things to do some day. I LOVE red wine but I'd love it even more if I knew it was of the best quality.
    I homebrewed beer back in the day; making your own is a treat not to be missed. I too will do wine one day.

Given your locale, I like to try and make eiswein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine)! :)
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Up until last year just before I started this I was a home brewer, ales mostly and I have set it all aside due to wanting to get on track. My family stares at me in wonder most of the time because I still read books and journals on beer making but it doesn't even tempt me at this point. I think if I get back into brewing it would be strictly hard apple cider and I would only indulge in small amounts unlike before. I read this article a while back she really knows her stuff

http://paleomovement.com/alcohol-the-paleo-exemption/
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    I'm finding lately that weight loss is not really happening...and thinking that is the culprit.

In answer to your original question: although alcohol is technically a carb, it is not processed by the body in the same way - so it doesn't show up in standard carb-counting. It's still a buttload of calories, so regular drinking can definitely affect weight loss as well as health. If you are trying to lose weight, drinking should be in the 'occasional' or 'rarely' category.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you told me two years ago that I would give up drinking I would have laughed in your face. I never really drank during the week but every weekend I would get on it. Binge drinking where I'm from is the norm. I use to think how can anyone have any fun without a drink...

Fastfoward... on the 9th of jan 2013 after going primal I decided to limit my drinking. After that I got drunk once. Otherwise my drinking was maybe a glass or two max once a month. Then I decided that I actually don''t need to drink, so the last time I had alcohol was in October.

When I did drink I made really bad food choices (I managed to drunkenly convinced myself once that large chicken nuggets, large fries and a cheese burger minus the bun "was totally primal") and instead of a hang over for one day I'm sick for a week. Plus I put so much time, effort and money into eating healthy it seems stupid to undo it all with alcohol. Alcohol is not good for my waist line, wallet or health.

Socially it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be, my binge drinking friends were actually really impressed and supportive.
  • cuyunamike
    cuyunamike Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a poison plain and simple. Not something most people would consider part of a healthy diet. End of rant.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I take issue with justifying alcohol just because one likes it
    Eh. 'Because I like it' is as good a reason to ingest something as anything else. If I know the plusses and minuses (alcohol IS actually a poison, etc.) and choose to indulge anyway - my choice. If I try to call it 'paleo' in an attempt to give it some legitimacy, then you're right - which is why I tried to qualify your statement. Fermented grape juice (or any fruit - I've got a couple of killer bottles of nectarine wine in the cellar) is broadly paleo. Distilled and brewed liquors are manufactured foods, OTOH. I choose to have the occasional crust of bread, knowing the issues; I also choose to have the occasional flagon of mead.
    especially if it does cause problems or one over-indulges frequently.
    But see, that is not the problem of the product - that's the problem of the consumer. Wine is still moderately paleo whether you are a teetotaler or drunkard.
    And I have to wonder if there are any wines that resemble the natural fermented fruits that our ancestors would have gotten into
    "I crushed the fruit, and squeezed the liquid from the pulp. I then worked the liquid to provide a quality end-result."

Describes wine. But it also describes coconut milk - the extract from the grated meat of a coconut, and a staple of the paleo movement. Fermented fruit would only be mildly alcoholic - less than beer. But we humans have always figured out how to synthesize a natural process.

But it's moot. Alcohol is a poison - it's not paleo. So is salt in sufficient doses (buh bye, bacon), alkaloids (buh bye, tomatoes) and many other foods. You learn the facts and make the choices - we're all gonna die of something. No one gets out of here alive.
    I homebrewed beer back in the day; making your own is a treat not to be missed. I too will do wine one day.

Given your locale, I like to try and make eiswein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine)! :)

We're on the same side. Justifying something that is harmful or being used irresponsibly is a fail. If it's hurting the body, or we over-indulge it's a problem. Enjoying something is certainly a good reason to have it, moderately. But we must ask what do we like about alcohol? If it's an occasional glass of something, I get it. But if it's to get buzzed, socialize, overcome shyness/anxiety, self-medicate and it affects health, stalls weight loss, etc it may be a problem. We can choose to ignore the problem, but pretending there is no issue and that alcohol is just a harmless treat is fooling ourselves. Some of us anyway.

<Coming from someone who has used alcohol in every way imaginable. I'm quickly heading toward very occasional, responsible use but it still mucks up my health and slows my weight loss. It may not be handled the same way as carbs in my body but it creates intense carb cravings for days. That does not help me on my health journey, but I still choose to do it occasionally.

I still want homemade red wine. Yum. Unfortunately, no grapes, or much else, grows where I live. Crowberries would suck for wine- zero sugar and they cause constipation. lol
  • Tuesday4422
    Tuesday4422 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat!! I still drink red wine. I drink around 4 nights a week. I usually have two glasses...sometimes just 10 oz. but somtimes 15 oz. LOL. Depends on how big my glasses are. :)
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I drink on weekends, it keeps me sane. ;) Vodka and Diet Sunkist Lemonade = 0 carbs. Although wine is pretty low cal also. Could you be eating more than you think once you drink?
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I drink on a regular basis. I'm not super strict primal, but I do try to adhere to the food requirements 80-90% of the time. Doesn't affect my weight. However, it can affect my mood and obviously, too much on a Friday night will definitely affect my health the next day.

Just all depends why you're on this "diet". I started simply because I wanted to drop about 5 lbs but was always starving. Eating primal allows me to feel fuller on less calories. I feel a better overall as well, but that was a bonus I wasn't expecting.

I've been eating this way for nearly a year. I've lost about 10 lbs, leaned out, and still drink on a regular basis -- almost every night, to be exact.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I drink on weekends, it keeps me sane. ;) Vodka and Diet Sunkist Lemonade = 0 carbs. Although wine is pretty low cal also. Could you be eating more than you think once you drink?

Need alcohol to "keep sane"? And with artificial sweeteners. Hmmm.....

I get it because I've been there, done that when I was young and unhealthy, mentally and physically... but it doesn't fit as part of a healthy Primal/Paleo lifestyle.

Ever tried vodka and club soda with a piece of lemon/lime or dash of fruit juice? I can't even get club soda where I live so it's just water and lemon or lime wedge.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I can give up alcohol I have done it numerous times and I rarely drink to excess. I usually only have 2 glasses on a Friday night and sometimes Saturday. I enjoy the taste of red wine specifically but I also enjoy a good pint of cider at the local pub. However I know alcohol doesn't like me one glass gives me a headache and makes me very tired the following day. I also find alcohol very moreish I could very easily fall into the habit if drinking every night. I don't do it to relax I simply enjoy the taste and the social aspect of alcohol.on the other hand I have enjoyed nights out drinking soda water. I find it better to limit my alcohol intake but on family holidays we eat out every night so I will drink more alcohol then above recommended limits but this happens twice per year maximum.