Ultra Hydration Options

Options
tfonz10
tfonz10 Posts: 52 Member
I cannot stand using the fuel belt. I tried on a running vest but I cannot imagine runing 50 miles with that damn thing on. Think its possible to make it through with a hand held and tank up at the aid stations?

Replies

• jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know lots of people that just use handhelds in ultras. Depends on the ultra too. Some have aid station placement frequent enough where you don't have to carry anything. Some have them placed so far apart you need to be a lot more self sufficient. Personally, I use a pack. I can finish an easy 50 miler in 10.5 hours (tough ones in 13+ hours). I have zero tolerance for anything around my waist and no interest in swinging around a handheld for that long.
  • tfonz10
    Options
    Just wanted to make sure I wasnt being stupid, I am a total minimalist type of runner. I would love any tips/suggestions...must haves..ect
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand using the fuel belt. I tried on a running vest but I cannot imagine runing 50 miles with that damn thing on. Think its possible to make it through with a hand held and tank up at the aid stations?

You know, this is really going to depend on the race, and I suggest asking people that have run it before. I ran an ultra recently with no carried ANYTHING and just the 6oz reusable ultraspire cup they handed out. Aid was about every four miles. I felt a bit of privation but I did really well (my friends thought my plan was moronic, though). At another one that I run, they claim that you WILL run out of water between aid station 3 and 4, even if you carry 2 handhelds. There's another 50k in my area that has one aid station at mile 20, with water only.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Depends on a lot of things: weather, hilliness/technical nature of the event, your personal needs, etc. If it is a hot day and the aid stations are more than, say, 5 miles apart, you might be pushing it with just a handheld.

There are so many different vests out there it may be that the one you tried just wasn't a good fit for you. A lot of women I know swear by the Salomon packs. I wear a Nathan and it works great for me.
  • tfonz10
    Options
    The course is relativiely flat except the last 3 miles. The first aid station is not until 8 miles in and then after that ranging from 2.5- 5.25 miles. The only other thing I will carry is gu/jelly beans, salt, and a small thing of body glide.
  • SillyC2
    Options
    The course is relativiely flat except the last 3 miles. The first aid station is not until 8 miles in and then after that ranging from 2.5- 5.25 miles. The only other thing I will carry is gu/jelly beans, salt, and a small thing of body glide.

Oooh..... the 8 mile break is tough. If you want to go with only one handheld, you're probably going to have to be super careful. So early in the race, if you get dehydrated, it's going to be hard and painful to bounce back. I think it can be done, but you'll need to make sure you're coming into that race well hydrated (from the day before and morning of).
  • davemunger
    Options
    Oooh..... the 8 mile break is tough. If you want to go with only one handheld, you're probably going to have to be super careful. So early in the race, if you get dehydrated, it's going to be hard and painful to bounce back. I think it can be done, but you'll need to make sure you're coming into that race well hydrated (from the day before and morning of).

One thing I always recommend to runners (regardless of the aid station situation) is to drink 8-12 ounces of water immediately before the race starts. It doesn't help much to drink bottles and bottles of water 3-4 hours before only to pee it back out again before the race begins. In fact, it can be harmful because you will lose electrolytes through urine. In the hours before the race, definitely drink enough so you are not thirsty, but there is no need to drink so much that your urine is clear.
  • tfonz10
    Options
    I hate drinking beforehand because it goes right through me. I will make sure to drink up before this one. I may bring a tiny disposible water bottle just in case. It is unusually warm for this time of year here in cali.
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have you considered two handhelds for the first part? You could carry two and leave one at the first aid station. I know several people that carry two at once. I personally can't stand it, but different things work for different people. I personally use a nathan vest and like it a lot. I tried camelbak and it was horrible. I think at ultras I've done the most popular brand seems to be Nathan.
  • SillyC2
    Options
    Have you considered two handhelds for the first part? You could carry two and leave one at the first aid station.

That's a good idea! Going with just one.... I think there's a narrow margin here between ending up dehydrated and overdrinking. I don't think I personally would do an 8 mile gap with just one handheld. I think it would take a lot of experience.
  • tfonz10
    Options
    That is a good idea. I am not really sure how to hydrate properly for this. During my training runs I do not need to drink a whole lot. Then again its usually at 5 AM and 40 degree whether. If I ditch the second handheld, will they transport it to the finish? If not I will just use a disposible bottle.
  • davemunger
    Options
    That is a good idea. I am not really sure how to hydrate properly for this. During my training runs I do not need to drink a whole lot. Then again its usually at 5 AM and 40 degree whether. If I ditch the second handheld, will they transport it to the finish? If not I will just use a disposible bottle.

It depends on the race. Check the race website and see if a drop bag is an option at the first aid station.
  • tfonz10
    Options
    There is no drop bag that early on. Drop bags are at 24.31 and 40.94.
  • SillyC2
    Options

It's a 50m not a 50k? I missed that part. I can't read!

Boy, I've definitely really wanted my hydration pack at the 50 mile distance. I've kept stuff in there that has really saved my race, and wasn't available at the aid stations. Once, a pack of life savers when my blood sugar crashed. An iPod with tunes that pulled me out of a dark place. Lip balm. Tums. And that long, you might be moving really slowly in between a couple of the aid stations.
  • davemunger
    Options

It's a 50m not a 50k? I missed that part. I can't read!

Boy, I've definitely really wanted my hydration pack at the 50 mile distance. I've kept stuff in there that has really saved my race, and wasn't available at the aid stations. Once, a pack of life savers when my blood sugar crashed. An iPod with tunes that pulled me out of a dark place. Lip balm. Tums. And that long, you might be moving really slowly in between a couple of the aid stations.

Maybe put a hydration pack in the 40.94 drop bag, just in case?
  • tfonz10
    Options
    How on earth do you run with those things?! Maybe I need to shop around more. The only thing REI had was a Nathan 2L vest. I brought it home and put water in it and its way to heavy for me.
  • davemunger
    Options
    How on earth do you run with those things?! Maybe I need to shop around more. The only thing REI had was a Nathan 2L vest. I brought it home and put water in it and its way to heavy for me.

I have that vest -- I think you just need to get used to it. I much prefer carrying 2L on my back to in my hands. But a lot of ultrarunners swear by handhelds. You could maybe get some raceready shorts or a spibelt to carry the other necessaries.
  • tfonz10
    Options
    I at least need to get a handhelp that holds more, and maybe pick up a second one. I have a running belt that can hold some gu and some other things.

There lies my next problem with wearing shorts, chaffing! I am used to the 5 lbs weight gain during marathon training. When I started training for the ultra I gained an addional 5, and no its not all muscle! I have never been so hungry in my life! It feels like a lot of water weight, I am super bloated. I cannot tell if its due to training or my medical issue. I really want to wear some light shorts but I am scared that with all this extra weight I will chaff like crazy.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options

This sounds like you are doing AR50.
  • tfonz10
    Options
    Sure am, how did you know?