Do you take a probiotic? Changes?

Options
If you take them...did you notice any changes? How much do you take?

Right now I'm taking 15 Billion a day. (5 billion 3 times daily) I feel great, but not really sure I feel any changes or any difference in my body in any way.

My doctor recommended I start on a good probiotic because the last 3 months I was put on 10 different cycles of antibiotics. So I went to my local health food store and purchased Jarro-Dophilus EPS. (recommended by my sweet health nut guru clerk)

Replies

• Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I prefer to get my probiotics through food. i drink homemade kombucha and water kefir daily as well as eat a multitude of homemade fermented vegetables. When not Whole30ing, I eat homemade raw milk yogurt as well. I don't know that I see a huge change on a daily basis, I have been consuming these items for a number of years however, but last year when I my husband and I went to India, it was the first time that neither of us had any tummy issues what soever. i do think that was the result of the good bacteria in my gut. I think generally you will simply digest things better and have lower case of intestinal distress. IMHO :)

Additionally, WOW! 10 courses in 3 months? Girl, get as many probiotics as you can, get those guts straightened out. If you like sauerkraut you can purchase Bubbie's or Wildbrine brands and try to have a serving or two a day. Give kombucha or water kefir a try too so you can get a broader spectrum of good bacteria going. it won't hurt to combine these foods with your oral tablet either.
  • Tuesday4422
    Tuesday4422 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Never heard of kombucha and water kefir! Interesting!
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Never heard of kombucha and water kefir! Interesting!

they are drinks made from probiotic cultures. You can find them commercially at Whole Foods or higher end health food stores. If you ever come across them, give 'em a try, sooooo good!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    For every round of antibiotics,it takes our gut 6 months to recover the good bacteria.
    I would be getting some good fermented foods into you as well as some really powerful probiotics.
    If you can afford it,Dr Mercola does some really good probiotics
    Here is an article about probiotics as well as a link to his products
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/09/24/one-of-the-most-important-steps-you-can-take-to-improve-your-health.aspx
    http://probiotics.mercola.com/probiotics.html
    As a result of 3 rounds of antibiotics to sort a tooth issue,I have had numerous health issues as well as leaky gut
    Hope you recover quickly :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm using food too. I eat some fermented veggies but I need to get more committed with making them myself and experimenting more. I also make coconut milk kefir every week for my child and have taken to having a gulp of that occasionally or mixing some with frozen berries. Yum.

I've taken Dr. Mercola probiotics sometimes. As far as vitamins go, I think his are about the best. His multi stopped my foot cramps within 2 days of taking them. The kefir and veggie starter I use is from his site as well; I think it's called "Body Ecology". He also has a probiotic drink mix. I'm not fond of it but my kid eats one either just the powder or mixes it in water herself. She does it a few times a week without me saying anything to her so that's cool.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I take Align everyday, I have IBS and this stuff works for me , tried kefir , didn't care for it…its was disgusting lol