HYPO SUCKS!

Options
I don't know why I am having NO success. I need encouragement. I am currently doing body by vi shakes just started today and I am considering going gluten free!!! I am a mom to twins and have a loving supporting hubs!!!

Replies

• PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Gluten free won't help you lose the weight itself, but it's known to help people with Hashimoto's that have an intolerance to it. Many with Hashi also go soy and dairy free when they do gluten free. Have you had lab work done recently? Right dose of meds? T3 and T4 checked? It's a pain, I totally get it. I've been dealing with it for years myself.
  • myfairylight
    myfairylight Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    totally agree :)

I am suffering from Hashimoto disease since 2005, I've gained around 35 kg (which is ca. 77 pounds). I tried to lose weight several times but inconsistencies in my blood tests, fluctuating levothyroxine levels, insuline resistance and unhealthy eating kept me away from being healthy and good shape for years. I also have difficulties in losing weight as a hypo-person. Since beginning of February 2014, I am trying to eat clean and I exercise nearly 1 hr a day (mostly cardio nowadays), I could finally see the decrease in my weight only after 21 days of exercise and clean eating. I am still on it and I will keep doing what I was doing in the last three weeks. I guess you're also at the starting phase of this journey like I am. Feel free to add me, my diary is open for my friends. May be we can encourage each other when required. I can recommend you to watch what you're eating (I weigh whatever I eat) and move your body as much as you can. It is not easy for hypo people to lose but not impossible :) Good luck and all the best.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's. I lost way slower than most MFPers, but I lost. So be patient! Most of what I learned along the way is covered in this amazing post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • gofitness66
    Options
    Look into leptin resistance - that could be your problem. I just started a leptin diet because nothing else works.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Are your meds stabilized? That is, do you have TSH/T3/T4 levels that you are confident are right for you? If not, fix that.

If yes, then get your resting metabolism rate (RMR) *MEASURED* - painless & non-invasive.

Any thyroid issues affect your metabolism, and medication does NOT make it bounce back (hence the frequent endo & GP recs to eat low-cal). So find out exactly where yours is right now, so that you can make intelligent informed choices about your daily caloric intake.

Metabolism rehab - I believe it's possible. However, how fast or how much? Very individual. I started with RMR of 1100, and currently eat 1310+exercise. I've bumped cals up a couple of times & sometimes it's cool, sometimes not. So for now...1310 it is! YMMV

You can try all kinds of food restrictions, but really until you nail the right # of calories, nothing's going to work. Start with the facts. You can do this!:flowerforyou:
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Look into leptin resistance - that could be your problem. I just started a leptin diet because nothing else works.
    What is a leptin diet? I'm curious...